Dan.gerous

Converting to diesel

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, Maxwell-8 said:

That is good to hear, I briefly had a Yanmar L100. It was definitly louder then any of my kohler's. I mostly don't wear earmuffs, but when that engine ran, I  immediately put them muffs on. Had the stock muffler and everything. 

This is surprisingly quiet, it sounds louder in the video than in real life. The trailer acting as a speaker box probably doesn't help!

• Like 1

Maxwell-8
2 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

This is surprisingly quiet, it sounds louder in the video than in real life. The trailer acting as a speaker box probably doesn't help!

On that L100 the exhaust wasn't loud, but the engine noise coming from the block was.

yours isn't as loud, she is shaking her ass of tho haha lol (tired rubber bushings)

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, Maxwell-8 said:

On that L100 the exhaust wasn't loud, but the engine noise coming from the block was.

yours isn't as loud, she is shaking her ass of tho haha lol (tired rubber bushings)

Yeah I noticed that shaking! Did you solid mount into the wheelhorse?

Agree there is a fair noise from the engine, exhaust note is smooth though (for a single).

• Like 2

Maxwell-8
1 minute ago, Dan.gerous said:

Yeah I noticed that shaking! Did you solid mount into the wheelhorse?

I see them all strait on the frame, those engineblocks are pretty narrow and will fit on the frame whitout overhang like the Kohler's do.

I believe @Bens vintage tractors did do a couple Yanmar L swaps in WH

• Like 1

Dan.gerous

Sadly the 512d was sold before I could get rid of anything else to buy it. Not the end of the world as I can just make my own one.

Will remove the Yanmar from the market :-)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Snoopy11
2 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Sadly the 512d was sold before I could get rid of anything else to buy it. Not the end of the world as I can just make my own one.

Will remove the Yanmar from the market

Well, You'll have more fun making your own anyway...

Don

• Thanks 1

Dan.gerous

Heading off this morning for yet another Yanmar single.

All the way down to Manchester and back, but this gets me back on track to complete another project.

Sold the Yanmar generator as it had a tapered shaft and it was too good a generator to break apart.

This one is a pressure washer with a broken pump unit.

2023 is the year of finishing stuff!

Screenshot_20230201-063753_Facebook.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

peter lena

@Dan.gerous  what are you using for oil in that ? fuel additive ?  just curious , pete

RED-Z06

Its wild yall just have so many diesel small engines over there.  Ive been full time small engine repair since 2004 and ive only had 2 diesels come in, both chinese generators.

I see diesels in, what i dont consider to be "small engine" format...20 to 37hp liquid cooled inline 3 setups in commercial/industrial applications.

Edited by RED-Z06
  • Like 2

Dan.gerous
3 hours ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous  what are you using for oil in that ? fuel additive ?  just curious , pete

Oh I don't really know Pete, hadn't thought that far ahead!

Still working on how I am going to explain to my wife that I have actually brought 2 engines home.....

• Like 3

Dan.gerous
14 minutes ago, RED-Z06 said:

Its wild yall just have so many diesel small engines over there.  Ive been full time small engine repair since 2004 and ive only had 2 diesels come in, both chinese generators.

I see diesels in, what i dont consider to be "small engine" format...20 to 37hp liquid cooled inline 3 setups in commercial/industrial applications.

Huge industry over here, pumps, pressure washers, generators, cement mixers - the little Yanmars are everywhere, as is the infestation of Chinese ripoffs.

• Like 1

peter lena

@Dan.gerous yeah , let me know how you make out  with the wife excuse ! basically  when ever I  get an engine , just get it going to verify function , always do a thorough fuel  / carb cleaning operation , fuel filter , lube up any related linkage   / cable connections, being a diesel , would personally add a fuel conditioner , to enhance function . you obviousely know the routine  and will quickly get it spot on . tye this into , something your wife wants , that mite save your  a--, pete 

• Haha 2

peter lena

@Dan.gerous   married 55 years , think I  know how it works . pete

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dan.gerous
1 minute ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous   married 55 years , think I  know how it works . pete

Luckily my wife knows how I work, she just rolls her eyes and leaves me too it!

I make the occasional expensive mis-step, but generally all the projects work out.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous
35 minutes ago, peter lena said:

@Dan.gerous yeah , let me know how you make out  with the wife excuse ! basically  when ever I  get an engine , just get it going to verify function , always do a thorough fuel  / carb cleaning operation , fuel filter , lube up any related linkage   / cable connections, being a diesel , would personally add a fuel conditioner , to enhance function . you obviousely know the routine  and will quickly get it spot on . tye this into , something your wife wants , that mite save your  a--, pete 

Will definitely follow your advice with regards the engine commissioning, thank you as always 😊 

• Excellent 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

I make the occasional expensive mis-step, but generally all the projects work out.

I used to fret excessively about these, but have finally come to terms with the idea that I’ve paid for, and received, an education, even when I’m not keen on the result. 

Carry on, sir!

Edited by Handy Don
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 1

Dan.gerous
55 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I used to fret excessively about these, but have finally come to terms with the idea that I’ve paid faor, and received, an education, even when I’m not keen on the result. 

Carry on, sir!

My biggest mistakes have always proven the most useful - to the point that I don't think anything is a mistake, it's all just experience :-)

• Like 2
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Handy Don said:

I used to fret excessively about these, but have finally come to terms with the idea that I’ve paid faor, and received, an education, even when I’m not keen on the result. 

Carry on, sir!

12 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

My biggest mistakes have always proven the most useful - to the point that I don't think anything is a mistake, it's all just experience :-)

I was about to type pretty much that. Verbatim.

As long as you had fun and didn't hurt anybody else and learned something. Win!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

kpinnc
6 hours ago, Handy Don said:

I’ve paid for, and received, an education, even when I’m not keen on the result. 

Well put sir! Story of my life! :thumbs:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dan.gerous

This is the Yanmar L70, apparently its just a couple of seals gone in the pressure washer pump.

Probably an easy fix, but I want the engine!

20230202_102647.jpg

20230202_102636.jpg

20230202_102629.jpg

Dan.gerous

This is the other "L70" although I think it's an L40.

It's ok as I just want the starter motor and charging gear - apparently they are interchangeable between  the L series.....Will find out if that's true!

20230202_102620.jpg

20230202_102611.jpg

20230202_102604.jpg

20230202_102553.jpg

• Excellent 1

Stormin

What HP are they rated at, Dan?

Dan.gerous
Just now, Stormin said:

What HP are they rated at, Dan?

They are 7.5hp, which I figure would be close enough to a 10hp petrol given what I have read.

Would have preferred the L100 but it's hard to find them at a sensible price.

Stormin

If they perform as good as the Kohler 8hp, they should do a good job. Can you get diesel from the farm?