bc.gold

Jacobsen Reel Mower

bc.gold

Well that was a big mistake, going to the golf course bone yard, met the owner and could not get loose of him, usually they're running you off  the lease.

We spent most of the day cruising around  the course in one of the carts checking out the many hidden pieces of machinery, I did not take pictures of everything seen. I would have needed a larger memory card in my camera.

I now own the Jacobson reel mower, which had a brand new 14 hp Kohler long block installed just before it was parked 10 plus years ago, the mower came from another course and this golf course had no use of it.

The mower is hydro-static drive on two wheels, the reels are belt driven and raise up hydraulically.

Learned something new about reel mowers, the knives on the Jacobson are spaced about 2.5 inches apart, which means it's capable of cutting taller grass.

A reel designed for short grass has almost twice as many knives with about 1.250" spacing.

Rather than overload you with a bunch of images,  this video shows the highlights.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 5

bc.gold

I also purchased this Toro Sand Pro, it has an 8 hp Kohler engine driving the hydrostatic, it has wheel motors on all three wheels.

The sand pro is used to groom the sand traps, of which this golf course has none, it came from the same course as the Jacobson reel mower and has been parked for the same number of years.

Paid $150.00 for the pair.

• Like 5

bc.gold

I did not stay for the do-nut eating contest.

donut.jpg

• Haha 4

bc.gold

Minneapolis Moline from another yard.

20200803-114418.jpg

20200803-114434.jpg

20200803-114459.jpg

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

bc.gold

Back to the golf course.

Once upon a time the golf course owner had a BA service station, this was his service truck. The sign is one of two that resided in the trucks bed stake holes.

jims-BA-truck.jpg

jims-BA-sighn.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold

junk1.jpg

junk-diesel5.jpg

yard1.jpg

• Like 4

WHNJ701

Looks like the abandoned golf course by us

elcamino/wheelhorse

I bet it was a blast just looking at the old equipment . What are your plans for the 2 pieces you purchased ? 

bc.gold
27 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I bet it was a blast just looking at the old equipment . What are your plans for the 2 pieces you purchased ? 

Yes it was an interesting day and I enjoyed the old mans company, Jim even had me look at some of the mowers they currently use asking me to diagnosis several problems.

If I lived closer I'm sure  that I would have a part time job, trade hours for treasures.

Would like to get the reel mower working, it would sure cut down on the time needed to cut my grass. The Jacobson is much to wide to go between trees, but the green machine could do the touch up.

As for the Sand Pro, it's a trike and has hydraulic wheel motors on each wheel, I could chop it up, modify the frame etc to make a mobile ice fishing hut. We'll see how that goes, sometimes I bite off more than I can chew or have time for.

I've also given some thought, a wheel motor might make a good centrifuge which would be impervious to water and mud etc.

Should have everything home this week, busy cleaning out the shop to make room, but this stuff will remain outdoors until I have my next to-do on my list completed.

I need to rebuild the Sundstrand on my Allis Chalmers 720 before winter arrives or I'll be shovelling snow by hand.

I just got rid  of two junk trucks, now these additions will give Anne something to ***** about and I'm not even married to her. She lives at Sandy Lake 8 miles from my home. She sends me complimentary emails informing me that I have a lot of junk in my yard.

It's  a good thing were rural and do not live by the same bylaws the city dwellers have to abide by.

Pat is really good about having yard art in the yard no matter where its dropped, albeit I've not told her about today's events.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 1

Redneckdavis

If you add flowers and paint. It's not junk anymore,it's decor

KIMG0401.JPG

KIMG0417.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

bc.gold

The sand drag was catching on the mesh tail ramp, so I cut it off and got an idea for the Sand Pro. it has independent hydraulics would make a good tow motor pulling a dump trailer.

Another thought, if the wheel motors from the Jacobsen were of the same displacement, use them on the trailer for an all terrain type vehicle.

The Sand pro is three wheel hydraulically driven then with a hydraulic drive trailer would have five wheels powering the load, could put a quick disconnect on the hydraulics to power a wood splitter.

The hood is up, using my pure sine 4500 watt inverter to cut the sand drag off with a sawzall.

Jim the fellow I bought this junk from loaned me his trailer, goes back in the morning then I'll grab my smaller trailer which has no ramps.

toro.jpg

Edited by bcgold

bc.gold
On 8/3/2020 at 5:20 PM, bcgold said:

Well that was a big mistake, going to the golf course bone yard, met the owner and could not get loose of him, usually they're running you off  the lease.

We spent most of the day cruising around  the course in one of the carts checking out the many hidden pieces of machinery, I did not take pictures of everything seen. I would have needed a larger memory card in my camera.

I now own the Jacobson reel mower, which had a brand new 14 hp Kohler long block installed just before it was parked 10 plus years ago, the mower came from another course and this golf course had no use of it.

The mower is hydro-static drive on two wheels, the reels are belt driven and raise up hydraulically.

Learned something new about reel mowers, the knives on the Jacobson are spaced about 2.5 inches apart, which means it's capable of cutting taller grass.

A reel designed for short grass has almost twice as many knives with about 1.250" spacing.

Rather than overload you with a bunch of images,  this video shows the highlights.

This has to be a first, posted to my channel.

spacer.png

bc.gold

cap.png

squonk

What kind of golf course doesn't have sand traps?  :confusion-confused:

I worked at a golf course when I was in school. All Jake equipment except for 1 National reel mower that was used for trimming around trees and a Worthington tractor for gang mowers. We had a 3 wheel sand rake powered by a Kohler single that drank oil like a fish. Superintendent's wife forgot to check the oil once BOOM!! We had a 3 wheeled greens mower all hydraulic. Jake golf course tractor for another set of gang mowers. Nothing like having a big lunch then hopping on a tractor mowing the rough's on a hot summer's day. They had a locking hand throttle.  I fell asleep more than once. :sleeping-sleep:

bc.gold
On 8/3/2020 at 7:36 PM, bcgold said:

Pat is really good about having yard art in the yard no matter where its dropped, albeit I've not told her about today's events.

Pat came out this morning to check out my treasures, first thing she asked, you paid money for these?.

Edited by bcgold
  • Haha 1

bc.gold

The fuel tank on the Toro is full of gasoline varnish, anyone ever use lye to dissolve this crap.

bc.gold

Expunged.

Edited by bcgold