D_Mac

Garage Sale Purchase Rototiller & Snow Blower

D_Mac

Well went to a garage sale this morning and wound up getting a couple of things. Picked up this little Troy-Bilt Jr. Rototiller and was forced to take this Snapper ..... dare I call it a Snow blower? People dint know much about either, said the tiller ran years ago when it was the guys friend. the snow blower was the guys friend to but he didnt know anything about it. I know ZERO about tillers and my past experience with this little snow blowers are they are just about worthless. Like I said I dont know anything about tillers, never even seen one in person. He couldnt tell me why it wouldnt roll and I just figured it would be something easy so I took the package for 40 bucks. Loaded them in my truck and took them home. You tiller guys can help me out here...... I am assuming it will only free wheel if you pull the pins from the wheels and disconnect them from the axle. When you want to till the soil you connect them back? I have to look for a manual. So I poured some gas in the tiller and it wouldnt start. Played with it a bit and its up and running but will only run with choke open and it leaks from where the gas goes into the carb. That plastic little nipple I think is bad so I will get a new carb for it. Other then that everything seemed to work.. tines spun, went forward and backwards. I will see if @Vinylguy has a decal set, if so I will repaint it. Next I went to the  SNAPPER " snow blower" I hate calling these little things snow blowers. Got my can of 2 stroke gas, poured a little in, and 3 pulls later I thought I was on my old dirt bike again.... ringggggg ding ding ding ding..... ringgggg ding ding ding. Runs like a champ, most likely wont throw snow but runs great. Rubber paddles have seen better days. Anyways for 40 bucks I guess I did ok. What is the value on that little tiller? Are they easier to sell in the spring then now? Looking forward to all your feedback. Thanks

20200729_141754.jpg

20200729_141701.jpg

20200729_141707.jpg

20200729_141728.jpg

20200729_141720.jpg

20200729_142423.jpg

20200729_142405.jpg

20200729_142414.jpg

20200729_142431.jpg

• Like 3

Vinylguy

I will see if @Vinylguy has a decal set

Sorry but I do not have decals for it.

Would be very difficult to replicate.

• Like 1

D_Mac

@Vinylguy Thats OK Thanks for the reply. As you can see the decals are in bad shape. 

JoeM

I got one of those little two stroke-r, runs great in fluffy snow, wet heavy stuff not so good. On the side walks it cleans down to the bare surface. More of a thrower than a blower. 

oliver2-44

That Troy Bolt Junior is desireable, especially since it is a rear tine model.  

WHNJ701

wonder how it got that big dent in shroud....

why a new carb?  the fuel line looks completely shot, I would change the line and the fitting first before a new carb. 

Edited by jabelman

D_Mac

Well I just ordered a new carb and a decal set for it. I will start taking it apart and painting it soon. Not going to do a restoration but I will make it look a lot better. What are they worth ?? Fresh fluids, new carb, gas line, plug , air filter, some paint and decals, would it be worth a couple hundred? I see larger ones go for much more. Is there much interest in these smaller ones? Smaller garden smaller tiller !!

D_Mac

Well I painted the tiny little 2 stroke snow thrower today. I see I can buy the new rubber paddles for it for 35 bucks. Dont know if its worth it. I took part of the tiller apart. Gave it some soap and water. Need to try and pound some of these dents out before painting the cover. My fear is I will make it worse. Going to throw some red paint at it. Not sure if I should paint the tines or not. If anyone has any knowledge of these I need help finding a model number. I cant seem to find one that has a cast iron square tiller housing as well as a cast iron transmission housing. Should I use the same gear oil in both the tiller housing as well as the tranny that drives the wheels? This thing is built to last. Cant say that much for the little snow thrower.

20200730_164024.jpg

20200730_164029.jpg

20200730_164032.jpg

20200730_164052.jpg

20200730_164358.jpg

20200730_164350.jpg

20200730_164336.jpg

Edited by D_Mac
  • Like 1