Sign in to follow this  
Mattbg79

Wheel Weight Questions

Mattbg79

Ive read a few things about some of you having something in the tires for weight. Im wondering what it is, how heavy can you go, and is it more or less expensive than the solid wheel weights? I mow on some pretty steep hills, sometimes up and down, and sometimes side to side, any advantage to weighting the fronts for a bit more stability? Thanks all!

GlenPettit

A 23" rear tire will hold 5 gal (at 80% full, allow for air for psi), water weighs 8#/gal, RV Antifreeze 8.2#, Brine (Salt Water, not good) is about 9

Kyforeman

I agree with the above post as well. I myself have weight on all of my tractors except my Wheel Horse 520H. And I am going to add them as well when I run across the correct type. If you don't need a bunch of weight filling the tires is by far the most economical way to go as the cast iron weights on average are going for a dollar or more per pound, or at least they have been on the big auction site.

One other option for removable weights would be to go with the plastic type that you can fill with sand or concrete. They are fairly easy to remove and will do the job. The only downside to that type is that the plastic type can break easily if you accidentally hit something with one.

You need to just weigh out :drool: all of your options as to what type of mowing or other uses that you use your tractor for. If you are going to be using it for plowing snow or plowing ground then they are very handy. If used for mowing only they can leave tracks in your yard if it is damp as well.

Its really a toss up as to what is the best route to go. I think if I were you with it being close to summer now I would just try plain water and see how you like them and if it works for you. You can get an adapter at TSC for about 10 dollars that will help you get the tires loaded. Just remember to make sure you drain them before cold weather as they can ruin the tire and rim if they were to freeze. :omg:

Mattbg79

Does the sugar beet juice(rimguard) need to be drained in the winter also? Just wondering if theirs an additive in it. Or could someone add some antifreeze to the mixture to cover that? :drool:

I have a small manual "fluid transfer pump" that i bought at autozone which has a tire inflation tip. Seems to me like it would accomplish filling the tires with fluid. :omg:

Duff

Matt, I'm not qualified to comment on the weight thing, but I do have a question. Which tractor(s) (looking at your siggy) are you mowing with? The 520 has positive pressure lubrication so mowing on side hills (aside from the safety issues the fellows have already addressed) shouldn't be a problem. The others, though, are splash-lubed engines, I believe, and might not take too well to extended time on an angle. :drool:

You may have answered this in a post somewhere else, so if I missed it, sorry! Just don't want to see you blow an engine!

Best,

Duff :omg:

Mattbg79

My 520 is a work in progress for now :drool: cant wait to be using that one though! I usually mow with the 310, but i mow back and fourth and its not a super long run or super steep so im not too worried with the motors being harmed.

I like your black wheels by the way, might have to copy that on my 520 :omg:

Duff

I like your black wheels by the way, might have to copy that on my 520 :drool:

Thanks! I've got two more 312's in my shop being rebuilt right now and the plan is to stay with the black wheel scheme. Kinda grows on you! :drool:

Duff :omg:

Mattbg79

BTW, does anyone kno the factory tire sizes for the 520? its got something weird on it now, and their destroyed so i need to get some lugs ordered. off topic i know :omg: thank you for all the help!

GlenPettit

RimGuard (google it to learn more) does not freeze, it's mostly sugar and actually good for the enviroment/soil if it gets out. Basically all Farm Tire and Industrial Tire stores have it.

"Beet Juice

Beet juice, a liquid byproduct made from de-sugared sugar beets. This food grade product is available in the US under the trade and brand name, RimGuard. This liquid weighs about 30% more than straight water and resists freezing to about -35F. Best of all, it will not solidify until the temp drops to -50F. Natural, non-corrosive, safe to the environment and humans. If beet juice is available in your location, we believe this your best bet - safe to use and provides extra ballast weight.

Advantages

high weight/volume ratio (about 30% more than water alone)

very high freeze resistance

anti-rust properties

a natural product - environmentally friendly and safe"