Sign in to follow this  
Kyforeman

Mule Drive belt Tension

Kyforeman

Good Morning all,

I recently installed a 60 inch deck on my 520H and would like to know if there is a certain way to adjust the Mule Drive. How tight do you set it at. I am use to my Deere's as they have a decal in place showing where the tension is to be set at.

I don't want to stretch the new 45.00 belt nor do I need it to loose. So how do I set it to where it is just right?

Thanks in advance.

Greg

92Pony

Subscribing........

lotus1967

KyForeman: I asked this very same question a couple weeks ago, so I guess I should take this one.

Several responses defined correct tension aas 1/2" of deflection in the belt in the middle of it's longest run. I read that to be midway between the Mule Drive and center mower pulley. Hard as I tried, I couldn't hand tighten the Mule Drive to get to this point. I settled instead for a tension that allows me to squeeze the belt together and just touch at a point midway between the engine pulley/PTO Clutch and the Mule Drive. At this point, the belt runs smooth through the entire run. Too loose and it will be flopping/slapping around underneth the tractor.

W9JAB

You need to know that belts do their gripping on the side of the belt not the bottom, So if you overtighten the belt you just put undue load on the bearings, belts should have approxamently 1/2 inch deflection at the center point. So what will cause a new belt to slip? the pulley or sheave wears out, the walls of the sheave when new are on a "V" taper in time the walls become concaved and surface area is lostd between the belt and sheave. Most belt manufactures recommend that the sheave be replaced or inspected after 3 belt changes.

Go to Grainger.com when you get to the home page look up part # 3hx33 for v belt tension checker it works on 3l 4l 5l a b c d 3v 5v & 8v belts between 10 - 170"

Kyforeman

Thanks for all of the replies as this was the information that I was looking for. I do have another question or two pertaining this though.

In setting it up to where I would have the 1/2 deflection of the belt, with this mule drive for the 60 inch deck being spring loaded will that make the adjustment any different as when I squeeze the belt the pulley will move on its own because of the spring.

I realize the spring is most likely there to take up slack and also to keep the belt from flopping around I would think.

Also it was said that the only difference in the mule drives was that the others had both v pulleys instead of this style which has one v and one flat pulley. I ask this just to clarify as I have a nice 48 inch side discharge deck that I might use as well because the big 60 is almost too big in some places. And I will make my decision as to keep the 60 or put the 48 on after I mow some more with it.

And if this be the case I would only have to change the one flat pulley to the V style, Correct?

Another option there would be to go ahead and get another mule drive for the 48" deck, would a mule drive from a C160 work on my 520H when using the 48" Deck?

Again:thanks:for all of the help as it sure makes figuring out all the little details much easier.

Greg In Ky.

lotus1967

My 48" deck and Mule Drive has 1 V, and 1 flat pulley. Am starting to wonder if I might be missing something in my set up. Just where is this "spring" you're refering to. Belt tension is set by adjusting the knob on the Mule to force the Mule Pulleys forward to increase tension, but I don't believe I have any spring anywhere that would affect that.

Kyforeman

My 48" deck and Mule Drive has 1 V, and 1 flat pulley. Am starting to wonder if I might be missing something in my set up. Just where is this "spring" you're refering to. Belt tension is set by adjusting the knob on the Mule to force the Mule Pulleys forward to increase tension, but I don't believe I have any spring anywhere that would affect that.

From what I have been told its the mule drive for the 60 inch deck that's the only one that is different. I left the tractor at My parent house last night as I didn't have time to load the beast up. I will get a picture tomorrow and show you. If looking down from the front the spring is on the left side, inside of the drive setting to the left of the adjustment bolt.

Also I could be wrong on the pulleys, as I was referring to what I had read this morning after I looked up your previous post and a couple of others that were listed when I typed in Mule Drive in the search function. I also clicked the subject line only option as that way it was more specific as if you don't it will bring up everything with the words mule and drive throughout the older post.

Sorry if I have you confused any, I'm very good at doing that to myself here lately to myself. :omg:

hodge

That's correct- the spring loaded mule drive is for the 60" deck.

lotus1967

Thanks for the clarification. You guys had me going there!