71_Bronco

Wisconsin Engines

71_Bronco

First off, if this is in the wrong section, please feel free to move it.

I am picking up a Wisconsin engine tomorrow that I found on CL. It's a S7D with a starter / generator and an oil down-draft air-filter. From what I found, it should be roughly 7hp at 3,600 rpm.

Did Wheel Horse ever use Wisconsin engines? I know they have used a variety of manufacturers over the years, but I dont see these very often.

On a side tangent, I found a mostly-complete lawn ranger local to me. Looks pretty complete minus a motor and a lift-arm. Was thinking this would be a pretty neat pairing.

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Was thinking this would be a pretty neat pairing

Just chiming in to see what others say. I don't know if Wheelhorse used Wisconsin. I don't think so?? But I agree. That would look pretty cool in that little tractor.

SPINJIM

Wheel Horse used an 8.3hp Wisconsin engines on the early RideAway Seniors.  To the best of my knowledge, they never used them on any other (smaller) tractors.

• Like 2

Achto
16 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

Did Wheel Horse ever use Wisconsin engines?

The Ride A Way Sr. is the only :wh: that I know of with a Wisconsin engine. You could use the Wisconsin engine that you found in a Lawn Ranger. It will require a shoe horn and some heavy modifying I think. The 7hp Wisconsin will most likely be a lot bigger in over all size than the 6hp Tecumseh that was original to a Ranger. Sounds like an interesting project, please share pictures if you decide to do it.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 1

71_Bronco

I just found a thread from 2018 where @BOB ELLISON had a Lawn Ranger with this same motor in it. Wondering if he would be able to shed some light on the conversion.

Stepney

Echoing the same thing, the Senior did but no other model AFAIK.. maybe one of the walking models though?
S7d was used in the old Bolens tube frames. Some had conventional ignition, some had an external mag. Generally a decent engine but parts are scarce.

They are much larger than an HH60 Teccy for sure. I have a Wisconsin 4hp in the shed that is bigger than a K301...

• Like 1

BOB ELLISON

@71_Bronco you are correct and I did have a lawn ranger with a  Wisconsin engine on it but it was not original to the tractor. Someone replaced the original with it. I checked the Wisconsin and it needs to be  rebuilt  but trying to find parts was  just not cost effective. I'll end up giving it away to someone that needs parts.

• Like 1

71_Bronco
11 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

@71_Bronco you are correct and I did have a lawn ranger with a  Wisconsin engine on it but it was not original to the tractor. Someone replaced the original with it. I checked the Wisconsin and it needs to be  rebuilt  but trying to find parts was  just not cost effective. I'll end up giving it away to someone that needs parts.

Thanks for the reply. Did the engine fit well? Or was it a tight squeeze?

This one is claimed to be running and complete, but needs to be tuned / adjusted. Hopefully it's as simple as adjusting / cleaning the carb.

BOB ELLISON

I found these pictures of the little lawn ranger that I still have covered up behind my shed.l

20150813_204945.jpg

20150824_181941.jpg

20150824_182006.jpg

20150824_182033.jpg

C-85

This make me wonder  :confusion-confused:why Wisconsin engine weren't more widely used?  I can remember that the Toro 76" Professional reel mowers used them and they were sure heavy!  Seems like a lot of the generators we had in the Army had Wisconsin engines.  At the same time I have also wondered why the cast iron Briggs engines weren't used as much, they seemed good on other tractors.

C-85

71_Bronco

Picked up the motor this afternoon. Looks like it's in pretty decent shape. He said it ran fine, just needs to be tuned (not sure what that means, but I will find out).

20200709_173142.jpg

• Like 1

71_Bronco

Now, here comes another question. How would this compare to a K181? I have a Commando 8 that i need to put a new motor into (popped the rod in the original motor).

I have another K181 that I need to swap over the starter / generator onto (currently has electric start).

The other option would be to go through the Wisconsin and use that instead (assuming crank location is correct and my tri-pulley will fit). The wisconsin does look a little bigger, but the Commando 8 seems to have some extra room under the hood.

The S7D is claimed to be 7.3 hp vs the K181 at 8 hp.

How would this Wisconsin compare to the Kohler? Or would it just to be a "different" build?

Thoughts?

20200709_173125.jpg

ebinmaine

Looks like the pulley location sure will be close.

You'll need to find a home for the battery because of the S/G on the Wisconsin.

Triple pulleys can be ordered online if the shaft size is wrong but location is correct.

71_Bronco
44 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks like the pulley location sure will be close.

You'll need to find a home for the battery because of the S/G on the Wisconsin.

Triple pulleys can be ordered online if the shaft size is wrong but location is correct.

I was looking at the starter generator brackets. I can fab a new top bracket to mount on the head studs (like the k181), and reuse the other mount and put the S/G up high like the stock K181. I may need a slightly longer belt, but it would work, I think.

Just not sure if it would be worth it, or if the S7D would be a step down in power or not.

Edit: If it was an S8D (8 hp version), and the crank was in the correct spot, I'd swap for sure, just to be something a little different and unique.

Edited by 71_Bronco

ebinmaine
44 minutes ago, 71_Bronco said:

step down in power

Forgive my memory if you've already stated... What'll this tractor be used for?

Less than 1 hp drop really isn't much IIFF you're not already "pushing" the 8 horse through grass or a tiller.

Keeping in mind I am not familiar with Wisconsin, what's the torque curve of it?

If it's a good strong engine line then it may actually be able to push/pull MORE than the comparable K181...

71_Bronco

Use of tractor is mostly mowing (36" gear drive deck), but I have a 42" blade for it that I use for snow. I may use the blade for a little dirt moving this summer, but nothing to major.

No idea on the torque curve, wisconsin vs the K181.

gwest_ca

S7D bore 3" - stroke 2-5/8"

K181 bore 2-15/16" - stroke 2-3/4"

Both engines 18.6 cu. in. displacement.

Garry

• Like 2

bc.gold
4 hours ago, gwest_ca said:

K181 bore 2-15/16" - stroke 2-3/4"

I believe with this bore and stroke combination the K181 will have slightly more torque.

71_Bronco

@BOB ELLISON, do you know if that hood will bolt on without modification? The Lawn Ranger roller thats near me just got lowered from $150 to $100, and it's really tempting me now. If I know the S7D will fit, I may grab it for a rainy day project.

ebinmaine

At a C note it's worth buying just to hold.

BOB ELLISON

The hood was bolted down from what I can remember and nothing was cut so I think it will fit. Like @ebinmaine said the gen may be in the way because mine didn't have one. There's no room for a battery from what I can see  so a pull start may be the only way.

Kagnew66

FYI: This is a Wisconsin in what I believe is a 400 Suburban (customized). 

1432602669_60SubFront.jpg.7a0a3fd0287584b6d305602339837ef3.jpg1654972419_1960Suburban.jpg.39aaa9bdd9296f6232c334a6278cc268.jpg