echris

The Bigger The Blob, The Better The Job.

echris

I was going to post this under non tractor related, but thought it fits better under tools.

How many of you guys are fans of real 2 part 5 minute epoxy? I use it ALL THE TIME thanks to my retired engineer buddy next door.

Wanna keep a bushing on a shaft? Turn the shaft half a thou less, or the bushing ID half a thou less and lube it up with 5 minute. Let it sit overnight on the top of your furnace. It ain't coming off until you want it to.

It's extremely versatile and a quality epoxy's shear strength can exceed 2,000 lb/sq in!

But what about The Bigger The Blob, The Better The Job? Well there's few things in life where this saying is true. The following is one:

My son has a wireless headset he uses for gaming. The tiny usb charging port broke off inside, naturally. Only 4 soldered ground tabs holding it in. :roll:

After a thorough cleaning, tinning and soldering, I layered on the epoxy.
Watched it for a few minutes while it set up to ensure it doesn't flow the wrong way, and set it on the furnace overnight. With those beautiful filets, I challenge my son to break it again. ha!

Notice the  MUTE marking on the board? There's a micro switch just below it, and the black lever just below that mutes the mic boom when it is retracted.
I had to be real careful not to let the epoxy flow in that direction.

That's not coming off again.

Photo is taken using my cell phone through a Baush & Lomb Stereo Zoom microscope at about 20x.

1213695813_Thebiggertheblob.jpg.59ce6e00e9ee0f24b1b4fc563fa4298a.jpg

• Like 6

JAinVA

The only issue i have with 5 minute epoxy is that some of the brands I have used in the past were water soluble once cured..Epoxies are a great tool but 5 minute is one I rarely use.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 1

echris
2 hours ago, JAinVA said:

The only issue i have with 5 minute epoxy is that some of the brands I have used in the past were water soluble once cured..Epoxies are a great tool but 5 minute is one I rarely use.

Agreed, however, like any other tool, choosing the appropriate one is key.

This is my general use epoxy:
https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/quik_cure.html

But,as my old buddy next door would say, "You have to choose 'Poly-Appropriate'."
https://bsi-inc.com/hobby/slow_cure.html

Don't fear the epoxy. Choose wisely and embrace it. Epoxy is your friend.

20 years in, I'm sold!

Tractorhead

Use several time epoxy when glueing or fixing or even modelling things.

On modell aircraft i use mostly 5 min expoxy out in the field for quick repair after a crash.

While build Wings or canopy’s i use other epoxy‘s.

My experiences on that kind of glue was, that the Brands differs extremely

on the mixture ( hot or cold) and the resulting forces later on.

each lower they reacts, the more later can be loaded.

for small quick fixes a 5 min expoy is a good glue,

but if you build a Wing, you get in trouble about the Time you can work on.

edgro

Had never heard of bsi, looks like they have every kind of glue you could ever want

tom2p

I've used CA super glue (CA glue) and 5 minute epoxy for many years - and during one period on a fairly regular basis during winter months - I was into slot car racing and used the adhesives for repair and modeling of the hard plastic bodies 

Also used the adhesives on repairs to the kids toys when they were younger ... RC car stuff when they grew older ... etc etc 

I believe the heated grips I installed on a Yamaha snowmobile are attached with 5 minute epoxy ... that was back in the mid 90's 

The super glue brand I use most often is Loctite brand - often the Loctite 'Gel Control' Super glue 

The 5 minute epoxy brand I use most often is Devcon brand 

Both are typically available at Walmart 

Goofball65

wondering which epoxy to use for my plastic gas tank ? has crack on top around the cap area

rmaynard

If it is a black plastic tank like those found on mid to late 70's and on (behind the dash or under the seat), epoxy will not stick. 

Goofball65

red plastic behind the grillplate someone fixed it before in another spot and worked . just don't know what they used