Str8kustomz

New to the wheel horse family!

Str8kustomz

Ok, let's restore this 520-H together! I have an electrical problem, as you can see it's a fairly new battery and I went to plow the garden and it was completely drained. Also what is the little handle on the left hand side for. This is my first ever wheel Horse so I have absolutely 0 knowledge about them. However I did start by downloading and printing the manual, on problem is I lost it😂😂🤦‍♂️

inbound6519499436615037700.jpg

inbound7370586750135046379.jpg

inbound1194580897858928064.jpg

inbound2509759275213919674.jpg

• Like 4

SPINJIM

The small handle on the left is for the hydraulic lift for the mowing deck or a plow, etc.    The electrical system on the 520H can be a challenge.   I'd recommend that you download a copy of the wiring schematic.  Differentiate on the schematic between the engine side of the wiring from the main wiring under the dash. Recharge the battery, and then try to trace the drain on the battery.  It may be something as simple as a wire worn bare and grounding against the frame.  Is the stator putting out 13 volts when the engine is running?   There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who might give you some good direction to start.   I'm in the middle of rewiring my 520H, and learning gradually.   Good luck and WELCOME to the forum.

Jim

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:to :wh:

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Decal on the rear fender pan has the model and serial numbers on it. Post those and we can link you to manuals

Garry

520 model serial.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Thanks 1

Razorback

image.gif.c55956c4ec9b44fcd5045e65975979cd.gif

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

:text-welcomewave:

what kind of Kustomz do you normally work on?  We like pics!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

• Thanks 1

Jennifer

:text-welcomeconfetti:  Look everyone the addiction and the horse disease is spreading!  Next he will have a shed full or the house!  Someone will point you to WHAA group meetings! Wheel Horse Addicts Anonymous!:text-lol:

• Haha 1

Tractorhead
  • :text-welcomewave: to :rs:

:text-yeahthat:

• Thanks 1

Daddy Don

• Thanks 1

Achto

:WRS:

• Thanks 1

delta88

Hello, New here too and have a somewhat related issue/question on my new2me 1993 520-H 955 hrs. I almost have everything sorted out. The ignition switch was the major culprit. It was all corroded with many other electrical connections. In doing my appraisal i noticed 15 + volts coming out of the rectifier/regulator. It was a steady increase until i turned the lights on, dropped to an acceptable level but then started to rise again. New rectifier resolved that issue. In adjusting the valves i noticed the condenser (on an EI system) didn't register with me. The condenser was hooked up to the positive of the coil and grounded. I ALWAYS thought the condenser was connected to the neg. coil terminal. Confirmed in Toro's schematic it was connected to positive. The tach of the unit runs off of an AC leg of the rectifier. The guy a bought it from thought it was the tach's fault. I think it's a typo in the Toro manual. I would also guess the tractor was burning batteries up and what seems to be excessive terminal corrosion may be a result of the condenser hookup. Also seemed to pop fuse easily with the bad regulator. Sorry for jumping in on this topic but maybe a moderator can help an old guy in the right direction.

• Like 2

lynnmor
16 hours ago, delta88 said:

The condenser was hooked up to the positive of the coil and grounded. I ALWAYS thought the condenser was connected to the neg. coil terminal. Confirmed in Toro's schematic it was connected to positive. The tach of the unit runs off of an AC leg of the rectifier. The guy a bought it from thought it was the tach's fault. I think it's a typo in the Toro manual. I would also guess the tractor was burning batteries up and what seems to be excessive terminal corrosion may be a result of the condenser hookup.

The condenser does connect to the + terminal.  The gray tach wire piggybacks on one of the regulators AC (outside) terminals.  I doubt that the excess voltage had anything to do with the condenser, my guess is that the voltage regulator was not grounded well.  Be sure that rust and paint is removed where the regulator bolts on.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Str8kustomz
On 6/28/2020 at 2:52 PM, SPINJIM said:

The small handle on the left is for the hydraulic lift for the mowing deck or a plow, etc.    The electrical system on the 520H can be a challenge.   I'd recommend that you download a copy of the wiring schematic.  Differentiate on the schematic between the engine side of the wiring from the main wiring under the dash. Recharge the battery, and then try to trace the drain on the battery.  It may be something as simple as a wire worn bare and grounding against the frame.  Is the stator putting out 13 volts when the engine is running?   There are some very knowledgeable people on this site who might give you some good direction to start.   I'm in the middle of rewiring my 520H, and learning gradually.   Good luck and WELCOME to the forum.

Jim

Thanks!, I currently have them printed, but looks like someone cut off the 12pin connector, and the way the schematics is showing it wired up is different from how they have it. I do know that the headlights only comes on when I'm jumping it off. Which is weird because the battery is brand new

• Like 1

Str8kustomz
On 6/28/2020 at 5:25 PM, pullstart said:

what kind of Kustomz do you normally work on?  We like pics!

Mostly automotive work, sometimes I repaint garden tractors and riding mower's. I'm currently building a grill from a barrel for a guy! I pretty much do it all lol, I  usually don't think about pictures because I listen to music, I might have some old pictures in my phone, but I will take some of the when horse 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

lynnmor
4 hours ago, Str8kustomz said:

Thanks!, I currently have them printed, but looks like someone cut off the 12pin connector, and the way the schematics is showing it wired up is different from how they have it. I do know that the headlights only comes on when I'm jumping it off. Which is weird because the battery is brand new

I think you mean 9 pin connector.  That connector has too much amperage, especially on the heavy red wire.  What year is your 520H?  There has been minor changes over the years, and wire colors changed a bit as well.  Be sure that you have the correct diagram for your year.  To add to the problem, there were some incorrect diagrams in the Demystification Guide but you should download that as well.  When in doubt, ask before making changes.  Your headlight anomaly hints at a totally bad ground.

• Thanks 1

The Tuul Crib

I cannot add much more except for to say 

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:happy-jumpeveryone::happy-jumpeveryone:

• Thanks 1

Str8kustomz
On 7/6/2020 at 2:22 PM, lynnmor said:

I think you mean 9 pin connector.  That connector has too much amperage, especially on the heavy red wire.  What year is your 520H?  There has been minor changes over the years, and wire colors changed a bit as well.  Be sure that you have the correct diagram for your year.  To add to the problem, there were some incorrect diagrams in the Demystification Guide but you should download that as well.  When in doubt, ask before making changes.  Your headlight anomaly hints at a totally bad ground.

20200707_103856.jpg

Str8kustomz

15941519154562913319330151403160.jpg

15941519393567580695648744537952.jpg

15941519897137339060922314348701.jpg

• Like 1

Str8kustomz

The last photo the connection was loose I tried to unplug it and it broke off the terminal to the left

lynnmor

You have a 1993. 

The colors at the 9 pin may not be entirely correct, I had a 1991 from new and two of the wires changed colors across that connector, I have that written down somewhere.

That bad connector in the last photo apparently went to the voltage, the rectangular block with three connectors.  There are two wires that come up out of the engine that connects to the two outside terminals.  There is a gray wire for the tachometer that piggybacks on one of these wires.  The center wire is the 12 volt DC output, the diagram shows white and you have red, I can check mine if you need.

The 12 pin connector you mentioned earlier is the instrument panel connector.

• Thanks 2

Str8kustomz
23 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

You have a 1993. 

The colors at the 9 pin may not be entirely correct, I had a 1991 from new and two of the wires changed colors across that connector, I have that written down somewhere.

That bad connector in the last photo apparently went to the voltage, the rectangular block with three connectors.  There are two wires that come up out of the engine that connects to the two outside terminals.  There is a gray wire for the tachometer that piggybacks on one of these wires.  The center wire is the 12 volt DC output, the diagram shows white and you have red, I can check mine if you need.

The 12 pin connector you mentioned earlier is the instrument panel connector.

If you have pictures that would be great!

20200707_162239.jpg

20200707_162351.jpg

20200707_162440.jpg

• Like 1

Str8kustomz

This is how all my wires look

lynnmor

Here ya' go:

IMG_2111.JPG.678776de9b041bc73e32cfcdaa9414b1.JPGIMG_2112.JPG.1496b4ddca43bc96a37faa90104f57cf.JPGIMG_2113.JPG.ce50dc6236c5ffac35ce331fad6810fc.JPGIMG_2115.thumb.JPG.202327ccbe42987657eface3a76b7526.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1