Jason Martin

RJ58 Drive Belt question

Jason Martin

I have an RJ58, where is the belt adjustment? I don’t see where the frame is slotted to move the engine, I have the right belt on it but it’s slipping. I’m not sure the pulleys are the right diameter, does anyone have correct diameters of them? I bought the tractor for my grandson already restored. Any photos would be helpful! Thanks for any help I can get...........

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :wh:

:wwp:

Someone will be along with the pulley info.

The spring tensioned idler on the clutch does a little belt compensation.  Is the spring stretched or weak?

One word of caution letting you grandson drive this tractor. They are light on the front end and they can rear up and flip if the engine is full speed and you accidently pop the clutch.  Some weight on the front end is a good safety device   

• Like 1

wallfish

:WRS:

29 inch by 1/2 inch belt. Engine pulley-2.5"  Idler pulley 2"

There is no adjustment for the belt tension, the clutch idler pulley applies tension and takes up the slack as suggested. That idler pushes down from the top. You can use smaller bolts for the engine mount to gain a little adjustment.

It's always best if you post pictures of your set up for best internet diagnosis.

Edited by wallfish

Jason Martin

Thanks for the info. I’ll check my pulleys to see that they have’nt been changed.i think I need to adjust the clutch, after messing around with it I notice I can ride it without my Guard on and push down on the idler and it pulls like it should. Thinking maybe I need a stronger spring to pull back and apply more pressure.

Jason Martin

When the idler is disengaged the belt I guess should slip on the transmission Pulley? Mine with the idler disengaged the belt is still grabbing and turning the pulley.

wallfish

The belt slips around the engine pulley and the belt guard needs to be installed to support the belt loop to allow that

Jason Martin

Oh, that makes sense. Where is the adjustment under the brake that take up rod where the spring is attacking? Thanks for your knowledge. As simple as this thing is, you wouldn’t think it would be this hard.

wallfish

The rod which connects to the brake band should have a 3/8 nut which you can use a 9/16 wrench on