211-4

Rim wont budge off axle

211-4

I cant get original rim off my W/H and want to make sure not to bang it up, any ideas?

ebinmaine

Can you show a pic of where the rust or corrosion is?

I'm not super familiar with the lawn tractors but I'm thinking maybe an air hammer would give some good vibration and break up the corrosion.

rjg854

Loosen the lug nuts, and drive around a bit, doing figure 8's and such, that may work.  I've also used a sledge hammer somewhat lightly on the rubber of the tire to break a rim loose with it jacked up a bit, with the lug nuts loose.

:WRS:

Sorry didn't realize that this model has keyed hubs :hide:  learn something new every day 

Edited by rjg854
Add

gwest_ca

This model has the wheel keyed to the axle so no hub.

You do not want to pull the wheel off the axle. That will do transmission damage.

You need to push the axle out of the wheel to get them separated.

Rust may make that impossible.

Why does it need to come off? If the tire is flat you can remove the tire with the wheel where it is.

The hardest part of changing a tire is securing the wheel so you can work on it. Your's is well secured.

Garry

• Like 1

pacer

Garry has got it!! Hardly worth even trying to get it off, just repair or replace the tire while on the tractor.

I had one that the bead didnt want to break loose, so I ran it around the yard a bit with it flat and pretty quickly it loosened.

Had picked up a giant Locust tree thorn, got it out and put a tube in and away we went....

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

If you must take it off, make a simple puller that pushes against the axle.    This will not damage the transmission.102_1768.JPG.ae1e2a12289c71ec892751a6fea13f33.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

squonk

You cannot push the wheel that way. There is no hub. You will have to fashion a bracket like Ed's picture to the wheel weight bolt holes, but you will need to make a center screw smaller than the axle itself to push on the axle and fit inside the wheel hole. This must be done carefully as to much pressure on the axle can damage the transmission.

This is the style of wheel he is working with:

DSCF0764.JPG.7ea8139a9a088d9d12d28f19ad4be9df.JPG

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3

wfrpalm
3 hours ago, rjg854 said:

Loosen the lug nuts, and drive around a bit, doing figure 8's and such, that may work.  I've also used a sledge hammer somewhat lightly on the rubber of the tire to break a rim loose with it jacked up a bit, with the lug nuts loose.

:WRS:

Sorry didn't realize that this model has keyed hubs :hide:  learn something new every day 

Isn't there a nut or clip that holds the wheel on? I would think you could loosen the nut or remove the clip and use this trick.

squonk

There is a c-clip but the wheel slides onto the axle so far that you cannot  generate  enough of a side load to break it loose.

211-4

Thanks garry! Didnt even stop to think of it like that great idea! Thanks everyone for the help and extra effort

• Like 1