twiisted71

New C81 owner

twiisted71

Just bought a '79 vintage C-81.  She's been used but not abused and appears to be completely stock and original other than battery!  The original side discharge deck is pretty rough (may try to bring it back to life) but it also came with a newer rear discharge in excellent condition.  Already ordered front wheel bearings, rear seals, belts, and few other odds n ends.  I've owned/used rear engine Snappers since about the time this WH was built!  I'd love to upgrade to one of the larger Kohler engines if anyone has one between Central OK and Central AR they'd like to part with.

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

oliver2-44

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Give that 8hp a chance, they will do more work that you think.

Edited by oliver2-44

Achto

:WRS: Please share some pictures with us if you could.

953 nut

:WRS:

An 8 HP Kohler is a very capable worker and from my prospective the rear discharge deck is superior to side discharge so you are fortunate.

• Like 1

The Tuul Crib

:text-welcomeconfetti:T😎:rs:

:wwp:

twiisted71

Thanks for the welcome guys.  I'll get some pics soon.  I'm not knocking the 8hp.  I'm just that guy who wants stuff way over built and able to loaf along forever.  I have a 12.5hp Snapper with a 28" deck!  

I had a small manufacturer (Commuter) ATV back in the '80s with a Kohler 8hp, Tq converter and F-n-R transaxle (could go just as fast in reverse as forward!).  The use/abuse and longevity that engine stood made a hard believer of me in the old cast iron Kohlers and Comet tq converters.  I have no idea how old it was but was well used when I bought it. 

I've been on shrimp boats with banging/knocking Kohler powered gen-sets mounted on the cabin tops that would get hydrolocked during S Louisiana downpours but when time to use it, pull the plug, blow the cylinder out, dump some gas in and blow it out again, reinstall the plug and away it'd go.  Over and over.  No these were not our boats, we took better care of our equipment.  

I like the rear discharge but I seem to have a slight gap in coverage in heavy grass.  I have to check to make sure someone hasn't put the shorter blade in the center.

It does the clattering/knock when under heavy load, hopefully just point needing to be set.  I have all new ignition parts on order already.

Edited by twiisted71

jay bee

:text-welcomewave: to :rs:

twiisted71

Here she is pretty much as I bought'er.  '79 vintage C-81 with K181s, newer 36 rear discharge deck, quick attach belt adjuster doo-hickey up front and lift chain out back!  Tires are practically see-through due to dry rot and she's faded pretty bad but I tend to go for function over appearance and this is right after cutting about an acre of yard.  It rides like a buckboard and I'd dearly love a few more inches of legroom (I'll have to remedy that in the very near future), but she cut a 3 week growth in 2 Hi and was asking for more!!

IMG_0998.JPG

fullsizeoutput_96c.jpeg

twiisted71

And I just discovered all the trinkets available in the Vendor's section.  The missus said "Its really cute" when she saw it.  We'll see how "cute" it is once I'm done!!!

peter lena

twiisted 71, try some penetrating oil on that paint finish , it will help preserve it , cut the crud and bring out the patina, more legroom is easy get some 5/16' flat steel bar and bolt that on your seat frame , then extend your seat position , you can also add heavier rear seat springs , available at your local h/w store . get familiar with your low range gearing  for heavy grass , like low range and 3 gear high , that will allow the lower gearing to keep up with the cutting speed ,and help on your discharge. rotella 30 wt oil is great in hot conditions , and will also help clean out the debris. i like lucas red and tacky grease on my mower deck spindles , with a 550 flash point, it will not liquify under load or heat, at walmart for 5$ . let us know how you are making out. don,t be afraid of a future engine swap , if you choose to do that,a 12 hp magnum swap is not bad , pete 

twiisted71
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

twiisted 71,  i like lucas red and tacky grease on my mower deck spindles . don,t be afraid of a future engine swap , if you choose to do that,a 12 hp magnum swap is not bad , pete 

I too am a Red n Tacky fan.  as the TV commercial says. "I use that sh!t on everything!"

I'd definitely like the 100% more hp a 16hp engine swap would give.  Kinda tough finding Kohlers in general and Wheel Horses in particular in the South.  I just missed a C165 automatic with a rebuilt engine for $150!  I have a busted back and have been down pretty much since bringing this little mule home and couldn't get out to buy that beast.:angry-tappingfoot:

this is my primary yard tool/mower

IMG_0851.JPG

Edited by twiisted71
  • Like 1

peter lena

yes i feel your pain ,in missing that c165 auto for that 150 $ scary price. i hauled up to albany to pick up my 12 magnum, and it was so worth it, engine runs very smooth and solid . getting back to the red and tacky , anything i use that on or in just takes on an entirely different level of quiet smoothness, like you said i use that **** on everything ,pete