Sign in to follow this  
formariz

Seldom seen grinder honer

Pullstart

That’s pretty cool!  

8ntruck

Nice.  Probably keeps your chisles in good shape.

formariz
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

Nice.  Probably keeps your chisles in good shape.

There is no substitute for a whetstone but this machine makes for an easy quick touch up. It’s particularly great for carving gouges which require careful rocking almond the edge and a convex bevel rather than a hollow ground. Coupled with the felt buffing wheel on the motor it is really versatile.

8ntruck
16 hours ago, formariz said:

There is no substitute for a whetstone but this machine makes for an easy quick touch up. It’s particularly great for carving gouges which require careful rocking almond the edge and a convex bevel rather than a hollow ground. Coupled with the felt buffing wheel on the motor it is really versatile.

Does it work to touch up plane irons too?

formariz
On 6/26/2020 at 2:32 PM, 8ntruck said:

Does it work to touch up plane irons too?

Yes it does. anything up to 4 inches fits on wheel without it overlapping it. I use it free hand without rest and I have even honed 12" planer cutters on it. Its all about the right technique and a very light touch.A good set of nerves helps too.LOL

echris

That's a seriously cool grinder! I've never seen that model before.

I bet you can rotate that belt guard so you can position the motor anywhere you like.

Nothing beats old tools. :)

Bill D

I love it!

formariz
19 hours ago, echris said:

That's a seriously cool grinder! I've never seen that model before.

I bet you can rotate that belt guard so you can position the motor anywhere you like.

Nothing beats old tools. :)

Yes the belt guard rotates all around. I run it at half the rated speed for the grinding wheel. 3000RPM is the recommended speed but I run it at about 1750. That also slows honing wheel to about 50 RPM. It makes a lot easier to hone long or wide blades like a planer blade,and minimizes chances of burning temper on edges of tools. I keep the honing wheel cup with a bit of kerosene in it, this way wheel is always saturated with it so it does not clog during use. Occasionally I totally clean it in my parts cleaner which also uses kerosene.

Edited by formariz