Stormin

Raider 10 trans.

Stormin

I had this '75 Raider 10 trans lying about. So this morning, being at a loose end, I decided to check it out. First thing first, check the oil. No dipstick of course so stuck a rod down the filler/level hole. Nothing! Dry as a bone. Also nothing would turn. Drive shafts or pulley that was still on. Pulley can off quite easily with the aid of a 3 leg pulley. Much to my surprise.

Next split the cases. They took a bit of persuading to part, but eventually did so. What a mess. :(

P1030324.JPG.187bf521431754586bdbc7073b6f86f3.JPG

P1030325.JPG.62fc3918393e94b0ef4915e1c4682f85.JPG

Every bearing is seized. As I most likely never use it, I don't think it's worth replacing them and rebuilding cost wise.

P1030326.JPG

• Sad 1

oliver2-44

Doesen't look to bad, compared to some water filled ones.  Clean it up, give everything a lite coat of oil or grease, leave the old bearings and bolt it back together.  Then you will have spare transmission parts ready to pull and use.

Tractorhead

I would give it a Try to rework.

soak few Day‘s in Oil, exchange the open Bearings, clean the gear with a steelbrush from loose Rust.

maybe a etank will do the better finish.

Seems a good work for a complete rainy day.

meadowfield

whats the input shaft and 2/3 gear cluster like Norm?  I'm after one...  my 1970 commando box has no 3rd gear as it's badly mashed...

Stormin

Everything looks ok, Mark. Just filthy.

stevasaurus

Should be a #5084 transmission.  4 speed, 4 pinion with 1" axles...might be the same type transmission Mark has #5085.  Norm's trans would clean up like new with electrolysis, maybe the #1533 bearings would even be OK.  I would change out the needle bearings, and rebuild it or let Mark rebuild it.  A couple of parts and Mark has a good spare.  I would think every Wheel Horse anything is worth saving if it is in the UK.   :occasion-xmas:

• Like 2

The Tuul Crib
On 6/23/2020 at 11:52 AM, stevasaurus said:

Should be a #5084 transmission.  4 speed, 4 pinion with 1" axles...might be the same type transmission Mark has #5085.  Norm's trans would clean up like new with electrolysis, maybe the #1533 bearings would even be OK.  I would change out the needle bearings, and rebuild it or let Mark rebuild it.  A couple of parts and Mark has a good spare.  I would think every Wheel Horse anything is worth saving if it is in the UK.   :occasion-xmas:

:text-yeahthat: