Achto

Let's see your repurpose project

bc.gold
25 minutes ago, formariz said:

One never really thinks about it but nearly everything here is repurposed in one way or another. Countless little stuff that is repurposed.
 Picture frame for someone important here from his own handscrew using his brass bolts I inherited from him.

Hooks made from branches are common here and an old ticket holder for a key hook.

49CCAF16-46DC-449D-AB21-F7F2045FB33A.jpeg.bb80b5cb6c8351ed4c6f4694eb22100b.jpeg

A5E622AE-7A12-4C25-8A45-A4C7F1C4522D.jpeg.e83e570fdda607139bfd0b89281970b2.jpeg

Pat has a collection of ticket holders stashed away somewhere. The first couple she found inside what was used as the office at old grain elevators. Some of them have really neat ornamental work on the casting.

For the longest time she had one of her ticket holders stuck to the side of the metal filing cabinet with a magnet removed from a microwave magnetron. But I see now that she has removed it, served its purpose when we were doing eBay sales.

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 4

Stormin

Interesting topic this. Some brilliant ideas, but there's no way I'm letting Carol see it. She gets enough ideas as it is and it's me who has to sort them.  :rolleyes:

• Haha 9

bc.gold

Back in the 1960's it was illegal for the natives to sell fish from their catch, fisheries even insisted the dorsal fin be removed from any native fish as soon as it was removed from the net.

Sockeye at $3.00 a fish the demand and the incentive were both there, the travelling fish salesman would purchase a junker vehicle fro a few hundred dollars to make fish delivery's, should a native be caught in transit selling both the fish and vehicle along would be impounded.

These old junkers were often referred to as fish wagons.

My 97 Dodge Ram recently purchased was taken in for a pre-inspection, $1200.00 in parts and counting, the headlights had moisture inside and would not pass. At two hundred a light we're not going to add this to the final tally  of putting a fish wagon into service.

I'm not selling fish but in reality this 97 Dodge Ram fits the designation of fish wagon, disposable vehicle.

The glue used on the clear plastic lens has let go in places, JB weld is fluid enough to run into the voids, had I used a vacuum source to pull the JB weld into place, I'm sure the final seal would have been 100%.

To hasten removal of moisture I added about 1 ounce of methanol to each light, the shook it around before dumping it out then used my heat gun to evaporate the alcohol.

A bit of toothpaste on a damp cloth polished most of the haze out from the clear lens.

light1.png

light2.png

light3.png

light4.png

Edited by bcgold
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
17 minutes ago, Stormin said:

Interesting topic this. Some brilliant ideas, but there's no way I'm letting Carol see it. She gets enough ideas as it is and it's me who has to sort them.  :rolleyes:

My woman planned a dump run for this afternoon and we all know what that means.

• Haha 1

formariz
On 6/22/2020 at 8:54 PM, ebinmaine said:

And the front steps are self explanatory in the video.

Those steps are absolutely awesome. Reminds me of similar stuff back home that is over 800 years old.   Those  steps have soul .

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

bc.gold

Dodge Ram safety, purchased new e-brake cables after installing the new cables found the passengers side is short by 6 inches. Turns out my truck is long wheel base.

Piston Ring an independent auto parts store near my home (45 min ) informed me yesterday it would take 4 weeks for the longer cable to arrive.

Chrysler Dealership ( 1.5 hr ) two weeks and double the price.

Called Napa ( 60 min drive ) nearest inventory is Edmonton, four days. Also there's a Sub shop in town so next Tuesday will be a big event day.

I got thinking bout this cable, the outer casing is the same length it's just the inner cable that's  bit longer by 6 inches, would be easy to make a sewage and the die needed to crimp the ends onto a short piece of cable, in fact there's enough good cable from the old to make this short one.

Called Napa ( 60 min drive ) nearest inventory is Edmonton, four days.

• Like 3

formariz

Old pot repurposed as a fountain in pond.

6263DF53-7B23-4D97-9B88-6D9E064D1404.jpeg.d6f1730152bc7f4b2a01b0f1d9815968.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, formariz said:

Those steps are absolutely awesome. Reminds me of similar stuff back home that is over 800 years old.   Those  steps have soul .

Much appreciated sir.

formariz

From a neighbor’s house repurposed wood gutter for through on bench. Cobblers nail caddy repurposed for my needs.

B65808B1-EDD1-4BDA-AD1F-111867F430B8.jpeg.d3748546234e208749d29abb7eda8bcb.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Dan.gerous

Our three cats seemed to take over the kitchen with bowls everywhere you stepped. I had some bits of kitchen bench left over from recent work, it seemed a shame to dump it.

The cats now have a heavy bowl holder that keeps everything in one place, stops us breaking our necks, and the OCD keeps me happy.

IMG_20200319_113854.jpg

IMG_20200319_113740.jpg

• Like 8
  • Excellent 1

Zeek

Our house has huge old oak trees around it. One has naturally hanging vines about 45 feet long and three feet apart. I thought that would look cool as a tree swing if you could make a tree swing out of that so I did.

I had my tree guy tie two 50' ropes where the vines fell when he was here with his bucket truck trimming limbs. I made the seat for the bottom and wire tied the rope insdie the vines.

20200601_171046.jpg.1881cdc3e563e59368fb2dfa5f4a35c3.jpg20200601_171100.jpg.c8b9ca32f8c3532b410b1d3f40593467.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 5

formariz

Anything can be repurposed. Here is an unusual one. About 30 years ago a friend who has horses asked me to shorten the tongue on one of his wagons. The excess that was cutoff became my favorite carving mallet ever. Pretty much the only one I use.

267617A2-F5A3-4521-B6DE-54291570BA26.jpeg.fc8d93049542c412bd8a3c9435c29656.jpeg

55E165E2-645C-43A1-A453-3CD934D274B1.jpeg.46211033807511b321fb6b9c1e99f71d.jpeg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 3

formariz

Turning tool set made from old files.

CB5BD44B-68AE-4A0A-A4F2-886C4BCC91F2.jpeg.1daa31f3b279de28ff82a5fe71d6fc8a.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Dan.gerous

I get very bored when working on ships, when your not working your captive as nowhere to go. Watching movies isn't my thing so I tend to try and have some sort of project on the go wherever possible.

This little guy came out of our rag bag.

FB_IMG_1593289300713.jpg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Stormin
10 minutes ago, Dan.gerous said:

FB_IMG_1593289300713.jpg

I wonder where you got the idea of a little pig?? :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dan.gerous
Just now, Stormin said:

I wonder where you got the idea of a little pig?? :D

Lol, I think my wife was in dairy at the time...

Must have had a premonition of the future!

• Haha 3

Dan.gerous

Another one....

We lived in a two bedroom flat for a little while when the kids were small, it was an investment I brought to do up and sell. We decided to live in it to keep our costs low while doing the renovation, but it was a bit small.

The kids bedroom was crowded with a single bed and a bunk bed, so we decided to convert the bunk into a triple. They were almost impossible to buy, and it was an easy conversion anyway.

When we moved the triple bunk was sold, it got into a bidding war and one of the guys that lost was really upset. I would have built him another one except we were leaving the UK to live in Australia and all my tools were on a ship already.

FB_IMG_1593291185001.jpg

FB_IMG_1593291192501.jpg

FB_IMG_1593291198502.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

Dan.gerous

Repurposed this kitchen in our last farmhouse as it was almost unusable. Managed to use all the old components, uncovered an old serving hatch and made it an ok kitchen for just the cost of a bench and my time.

I managed to get a stove for free from the previous farm as they were throwing it out - I had already saved it from the dump when we moved there as it was a really nice little unit.

The amount of rental houses I have put right over the years even though I'm a tenant, should have been paid to live in them!

received_203377414049351.jpeg

received_162641885164428.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2

Dan.gerous

Another project....

Had an old shed door that was getting in the way, but we didn't have a proper TV table/stand.

Cut the old door up and turned it into a rough and ready table, original paint with years of neglect and character was kept.

It's served us well for a few years now and cost nothing but time.

IMG_20200716_154057.jpg

IMG_20200716_154602.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 4

Dan.gerous

I haven't repurposed any of this yet, however these objects were all saved from our skip while I was on the ship the last two weeks. Unfortunately the aluminium ladder was cut in half, but I think it might be useful with the runs removed for screeding concrete - and I have a lot of that work coming up.

The tripods are interesting, but I have no use for them other than using the steel for something else. They are part of our rescue equipment for hauling people up and out of areas. Those of you in America may not know of the "Herald of free enterprise" ferry disaster back in 1987, but these tripods became part of our safety equipment as a result of the findings there. The ship ended up on her side on a sandbank with people trapped inside, survivors and rescuers struggled to reach them from the hull side. As a result we carry these and associated equipment to get into the ships hull and recover survivors.

Anyway, I digress, they have been renewed and the old ones found their way into my van...

The stainless steel tin will be used for oil changes and cleaning up components.

IMG_20200716_155343.jpg

Edited by Dan.gerous
  • Like 3
  • Heart 1

Dan.gerous

Apologies for cluttering up this thread!

One last post for now...

The little digger caused a lot of interest and I need to make a could now for some of the crews kids.

Decided that is not robust enough for kids so picked up an engine part packing box. I think this would have had spare parts for an oil/water separator or similar made by Alpha Laval. It's appropriate as one of the kids dad is an engineer.

Naturally will post the results here at some point.

IMG_20200716_154723.jpg

IMG_20200716_154708.jpg

• Like 3

ebinmaine
4 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

Apologies for cluttering up this thread

Doesn't seem like you're cluttering anything to me. The things you are posting are exactly what the thread is about...

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Stormin
4 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

IMG_20200716_155343.jpg

Those tripods would make a good gantry. Just need a beam across and a chain block.

• Like 2

Dan.gerous
10 hours ago, Stormin said:

Those tripods would make a good gantry. Just need a beam across and a chain block.

They are rated for 500kg and the legs extend a bit more.

• Like 3