Jhensley87

Cannot remove GT-14 Tow Valve

Jhensley87

My tow valve is stuck half way open. I’ve got the nut coller completely loose, But the valve is stuck. I can’t turn it or get it out.. Has anyone use some sort of puller to get it out? Would really like to get it out and repair whatever is wrong. Tractor keeps rolling free when the brake pedal throws it in neutral..   

oliver2-44

If I haven't said so, :text-welcomeconfetti:to another Texan.

Time and penetrating oil are your friend. 

The tow valve was stuck on my C-160 when i got it.  I actually removed the rear fender and hood and laid the tractor on its side.  Then soaked the tow valve with penetrant a few times a day for almost a week and witha a vice grip clamped to the valve shaft tried to wiggle (not force it) and it finally freed up.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jhensley87

Thank you, sir. This is what I’ve been doing. It took about a week to get the nut loose. Now I guess I’ll just keep at it to get the valve out! 

pfrederi

Two different tow valves here.  GT14 is   port valve no threads other than the hold nut 67 you should be able to pull it straight out.  The C160 valve is a needle valve with threads.  65 is a plastic backer ring it may have gotten jammed/wedged.

tow.JPG

Edited by pfrederi
  • Like 1

Jhensley87
4 hours ago, pfrederi said:

Two different tow valves here.  GT14 is   port valve no threads other than the hold nut 67 you should be able to pull it straight out.  The C160 valve is a needle valve with threads.  65 is a plastic backer ring it may have gotten jammed/wedged.

tow.JPG

Yes, sir. I’ve got the hold nut loose, but the valve itself is not budging. Very strange. I assume it’s rusted in there. Not sure why else I can’t get it out. 🤷🏼‍♂️

gt14rider

Mine came out hard to, I've had good luck with evaporust, soke or rap went rag around part keep wet , stuff works great.  Little tap on back and forth, let it soke, repeat. only has two orings, and a plastic oring, once nut is lose

IMG_20190217_174851645.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Jhensley87
8 hours ago, gt14rider said:

Mine came out hard to, I've had good luck with evaporust, soke or rap went rag around part keep wet , stuff works great.  Little tap on back and forth, let it soke, repeat. only has two orings, and a plastic oring, once nut is lose

IMG_20190217_174851645.jpg

Thanks for the info. I cannot believe how stuck the thing is. It’s been a couple of days of PB Blaster and no movement. May have to to try the EvapoRust product. 

• Like 1

Jhensley87

Finally got it out. 

80CFD5BD-D5E3-4641-98D1-8454DFA13BD8.jpeg

3523D776-D7A7-4148-9545-AFDFE4BF6F46.jpeg

• Excellent 2

Jhensley87

Vinegar soak. 

A899BA38-ABFC-4B22-82C0-47CB18DD7B4A.jpeg

• Like 3

pfrederi

Guess she sat outside for a long time....

Check pinned topic on Sunstrand o rings.

Jhensley87
48 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Guess she sat outside for a long time....

Check pinned topic on Sunstrand o rings.

Actually, it’s never been stored outside. That’s why it was so strange. Undoubtedly at some point it got some moisture in there some how. Thanks for the info

19richie66

If I remember correctly, the brake on a gt14 is not to stop it. It is a parking brake only. Most likely the pawl inside the transmission is broken so it won't stop it/ hold at all. Glad you got the valve out.:handgestures-thumbupright: