Graycenphil

876 Drivebelt Tensioner is Possessed

Graycenphil

Hello,

Great forum. My neighbor has a Wheelhorse 876, early 60’s, she thinks. It’s a great machine, and I have enjoyed helping her keep it running, not that it has needed much. Wish they still built them like this one. But now I am stumped.I have searched but was unable to find an answer. I apologize in advance if this has already been discussed.

The belt that drives the hydraulic pump popped off last week. I put it back on, and ordered a new one just to have a spare. She doesn’t recall ever replacing it, but it’s hard to imagine it being original. Then again, maybe it is.

Today it popped off again. Before it did, she said the lever that disengages it (on the right side, just in front of the seat) was bouncing around like crazy. Sure enough, when I put the belt back on and engaged the lever, it did bounce like crazy and very quickly either disengaged the belt or knocked it off the pulley. I really couldn’t even hold it in place; it was all I could do to drive it back into the garage.

So what could be causing this? I haven’t replaced the belt yet, because I’m still waiting to get it. It does appear from the dipstick that the transmission is overfilled.

Any ideas. Thanks in advance, and thanks for a great forum.

• Like 1

stevasaurus

There is a spring that hooks onto the tension pulley.  BTW...that horse is a 1966.  Here is the manual...this would help.  Download the IPL.  BTW...Welcome to Red square.

• Like 1

Graycenphil

Thanks Steve, and for the manual download too. 1966, so it’s 44 years old. What a machine.

It appears the spring is in place. I suppose it could be weak?

• Like 1

pfrederi

Setup should look like this

Do you have the correct belt?  WH8005 or Gates Power rated 6872

IMG_0073.JPG

• Like 1

Graycenphil

That looks about the same, but yours is a lot cleaner. And there is a cage over the fan.I assume the belt is correct, since it is old and always worked fine. I ordered this one from ebay, but it hasn’t come yet.

https://www.ebay.com/i/324053554909?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=324053554909&targetid=883446499809&device=t&mktype=pla&googleloc=9003259&poi=&campaignid=9426387564&mkgroupid=95112701705&rlsatarget=pla-883446499809&abcId=1140476&merchantid=6333254&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImZ_Cwbbe6QIVQb7ACh3euQonEAQYAiABEgIyBvD_BwE

I should also replace the filter, it’s pretty old. Do you have a part number for that? And a preferred parts supplier? There is no dealer in our area, that I am aware of. (NE Connecticut.)

Thanks again, it is much appreciated.

pfrederi

From the description the belt looks OK.  i have no personal experience with that brand.  The gates power rated I have used.  Those you can get at any auto parts store. also at the auto parts store you want Wix 51410 for the filter (or Napa 1410)

Yes there should be  a screen

• Like 1

Graycenphil

Thanks Pfrederi.

Graycenphil

Well, I got the belt, put it on and pumped about 2 excess quarts of transmission fluid out. (There is a small transmission leak, and I guess the owner got carried away “topping it off”.) I also tightened up the generator/starter belt. Runs like a top. When they say they don’t make ‘em like they used to, they might be speaking about this Wheelhorse. Hard to believe it’s almost 50 years old

Speaking of which, I told her it is a 1966 model. She thinks she was mowing with it in high school, and she graduated in 1964. Is it possible it’s from ‘64 or earlier Steve? She actually thinks the receipt is probably somewhere in the attic, and she might try to dig it out.

Thanks again for everything.

P.S. I will get a new transmission filter and change that too. 

squonk

An 876 is a 66. The first year for a hydro trans was 65. If she was mowing in IS is was on something else.

• Like 1

Graycenphil

Thanks Squonk.

stevasaurus

:occasion-xmas:  Glad you got if running again.  If it is an 876...it is 1966.  It should have decals on the hood that look like wood grain.

DSCF8797.JPG

DSCF8749.JPG

• Like 1

Graycenphil

That is a good looking machine. This one doesn’t looks exactly like that, and has the 876 decal, but is not so fresh.  It is very pleasant to work on and runs like a top.

Over the course of it’s life, it has been driven into a pond, caught on fire, and mowed the lawn for 54 summers.

• Thanks 1

stevasaurus

These stickers are from Terry (Vinyl Guy).  I think 1966 horses are the only year for the wood grain stickers.  Mine looks clean because I just re-built the Kohler 8 hp.  You are correct, easy to work on and last forever.  :orcs-cheers:

• Like 1

Graycenphil

One more question, if you don’t mind. What is the correct belt for the mower deck?

Thanks.