echris

310-8 faint trans-axle noise

echris

Now that I've got most of the minor issues with my 310-8 out of the way, I've noticed a noise coming from the left side of the trans-axle (while sitting on the tractor). At first I thought it might be the brake band as I had adjusted it earlier, so I loosed it up quite a bit to test. No change. She still mostly stops if I jump on the brakes, but the band is loose on the drum when off the pedal. Could it still be band drag?

It sounds like a whine, but not high frequency and is most apparent in 1st, faint in 2nd and none at all in 3rd. Perhaps it's the bearing on the brake shaft? The hub on the brake drum is caked pretty good with gunk. Doesn't really sound like a bearing noise though.
I guess I'm just a bit worried since the trans oil was so bad when I changed it.

I'm inclined to just keep driving her for a while and see if it clears up or gets worse. She's obviously been sitting a while so she needs to loosen up a bit.

Any ideas? Please and thank you!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, echris said:

inclined to just keep driving her for a while and see if it clears up or gets worse

Could be a bearing "talking" a little.

I'd drive it a bit and keep an ear on it so to speak...

Maybe put a few hours on it and change the fluid again.

If the area around the brake drum is gunkificated it likely needs a seal. Easy fix.... Bearing more time consuming but still easy.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

peter lena

why not change the oil again and add a flushing agent , like kerosene or auto trans fluid, ues it till you see a different color , indicating more cleaning goin on .did you change the trans boot ? i have changed trans fluid after some road time to heat things up, usually a couple of flushes gets the crud out , do you have a cul de sac near by ? that's where i put road time into transmission oil heat , to enhance cleaning and flushing . jack up the front end to enhance the rear end draining. those actions have worked for me , good luck , pete

• Like 2

echris
2 minutes ago, peter lena said:

why not change the oil again and add a flushing agent , like kerosene or auto trans fluid, ues it till you see a different color , indicating more cleaning goin on .did you change the trans boot ? i have changed trans fluid after some road time to heat things up, usually a couple of flushes gets the crud out , do you have a cul de sac near by ? that's where i put road time into transmission oil heat , to enhance cleaning and flushing . jack up the front end to enhance the rear end draining. those actions have worked for me , good luck , pete

Thanks, but I flushed her good Saturday. For much of the day. ;)

The shifter boot is shot, already on order with a set of belts and roller/wheel kit for the deck from my new best friends at https://wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/.

Can't wait for  Santa to deliver!

• Like 1

echris
10 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Could be a bearing "talking" a little.

I'd drive it a bit and keep an ear on it so to speak...

Maybe put a few hours on it and change the fluid again.

If the area around the brake drum is gunkificated it likely needs a seal. Easy fix.... Bearing more time consuming but still easy.

That's what I was thinking, she may just need a second break-in period.

Not afraid to do a full tear down and rebuild on the trans-axle, or at least inspection come winter. I once rebuilt a 70HP Johnson that I mentioned in another thread top to bottom and I had never rebuilt an outboard before. 15 years later she still started with a tap of the key. ;)

That is the primary thing I love about Wheel Horse tractors. You can rebuild, repair, replace, fabricate most everything. And most of it is so simple to work on.

• Excellent 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, echris said:

rebuilt a 70HP Johnson

If you can handle an engine you'll be able to do these transmissions one-handed, upside down and blind folded.

• Thanks 1

echris

Haha, thanks! When I tore the crankcase open on that Johnson and saw roller bearings EVERYWHERE, I thought, "Oh dear, isn't that beefy." Growing up on small block Chevy's and Briggs/Techumseh/Wisconsins/Kohlers, I was amazed.

:offtopic:

But I have full confidence knowing the Red Square community has my back, even as a noob. Thanks fellas! :)

Edited by echris
  • Heart 1

squonk

This may sound stupid but before you refill the transmission go get a tube of outboard motor lower end extreme pressure lube and add a shot or 2. I have used this stuff to quiet gears and bearings and to make shifting easier.

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

echris

Thanks for all the tips !

I mowed a bit more today and found a few more bits of info:

1). It only makes the noise at full throttle in 1st or 2nd. Tap the throttle down a hair and it disappears.

2). On flat ground, it may or may not make the noise, but definitely does going uphill.

3). It sounds like a resonance issue.

4). It also sounds kinda like belt slippage, but it appears to be coming from the left side and I have a few good hills which she powers right up like they're not even there.

Video link below. Don't watch it, you might get sea sick. Just listen for the audio. Ha!
It starts out quiet in the video, but gets much louder at around 20 seconds.

Any help would be appreciated!

Video

Edited by echris

echris
On 6/10/2020 at 6:53 AM, squonk said:

This may sound stupid but before you refill the transmission go get a tube of outboard motor lower end extreme pressure lube and add a shot or 2. I have used this stuff to quiet gears and bearings and to make shifting easier.

When you say a shot or two, do you mean just a few squirts down the tube? The oil on the stick is at about 95%, if so, I can add some.

Thanks!

squonk
6 hours ago, echris said:

When you say a shot or two, do you mean just a few squirts down the tube? The oil on the stick is at about 95%, if so, I can add some.

Thanks!

Yes a couple squirts

• Like 1

stevasaurus

Gears are not going to make a noise like that.  I think it is a bearing.  A bearing that is wearing out on one end of a shaft, can make the other end sing.  If Mike's lower unit out board moter oil does not work.  Try some Lucas Engine Oil Treatment...this is like STP only better.  Comes in quarts...drain a little out the bottom to make room...add about 1/2 quart.  :occasion-xmas:

• Like 1

echris

Thanks guys! I'll give that a try.

Is GL-5 80W-90 the correct oil for a 1989? That's what I used.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Yes...the Lucus is thicker and very sticky.  It's not going to make a bad bearing better...but it could make a dry one quiet until fall.  :occasion-xmas:

Try Mike's 1st...just want to know.    Be sure and let us know.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Bill D

Just curious, have you changed the idler pulley?  Some of that noise could be from that.  Bill

• Like 1

echris

I had the back end sheet metal off today, removed the idler and while the bearing is a little bit noisy, there's no play in it at all. So she's dry, but not clapped out...yet... lol

I soaked it in IPA for quite a while, hit it with the air gun while rotating, repeat... and then soaked it in penetrating oil, rotate, repeat. An old trick from my crusty old neighbor. Didn't change the noise. The pulley is cheap enough, so that'll be in my next order.

I thought I found the problem while putting it back together. I found the lower belt guide under the right foot pad was bent a bit upwards. Remember when I said above it kinda sounds like resonance? I though for sure that was it. Bent the guide back down and it made no difference. :(

Didn't have a chance to get lower unit lube today, but I'll definitely try that.

gwest_ca

If you want an idler with a real sealed ball bearing in it look into these

V-idler pulley - 4.000" OD - HD 52-4580 or 524580 replaced by WH 99-5678 or 995678 {$40.84} (Stens 280-362 HD  4.000" OD x .375" ID (1/4" offset) x 3/4" HT, Napa 7-05485 HD)

Garry

• Like 1

echris

Thanks Garry. Appreciate it!

Tuneup

echris: I have to say it. As much as we love these tractors, soaking their parts in IPA is a very poor use of good IPA. :lol:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

clueless

Did the noise start after you did you oil change?

echris
15 hours ago, Tuneup said:

echris: I have to say it. As much as we love these tractors, soaking their parts in IPA is a very poor use of good IPA. :lol:

Whoa now, not Inda Pale Ale, Isopropyl Alcohol.

I may be stupid, but I'm not apocalyptically stupid.

• Haha 1

echris
10 hours ago, clueless said:

Did the noise start after you did you oil change?

No, it may have actually been a bit worse beforehand. Hard to say, I just got the machine two weeks ago and have spent more time wrenching on it than driving it.

• Like 1

echris

It seems to be quiet now. I've put about 2-3 hours on her mowing, didn't change anything and it's quieted down.

Maybe it just took a while for all the Uni internals to get well lubed after the double diesel flush? Does that make sense?

Suspiciously optimistic.

Edited by echris
  • Like 1

ebinmaine

Perhaps a piece of "foreign matter" was in a bearing and was crushed or came out.

echris
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

Perhaps a piece of "foreign matter" was in a bearing and was crushed or came out.

I hope so.

Fluid still looks clean after a few hours of operation.
Seals look OK to so far, after cleaning the trans.

• Like 1