Jump to content
prondzy

Drill Press

Recommended Posts

 
ebinmaine

Fantastic!

 

Beautiful.

Functional.

 

Well done!!

@Mows4three check this out... 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Mows4three

A good old drill press is the basic tool in a shop.   The better the quality, the better your work output.  

 

Nice score on that Delta DP..!

 

Cheers!

 

Dave

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz

Great drill press. Look at the earlier post below for details on the switch bracket.The rod lenght you can figure that out easily.

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
RandyLittrell

Great find, love vintage iron!!

 

 

Randy

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz

This is on a handsaw but rod should look the same. Bracket on drill press is just a loop. Refer to the thread above.

 

FD698507-383D-4461-AB80-9DABDE80B53B.jpeg.7e54d4f14ac55049b2698cb5ce7681ca.jpeg

  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
Posted (edited)

Here it is what it should look like

37135-C.jpg

 

37135-D.jpg

Edited by formariz
  • Like 6
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
John2189


image.jpeg.521f5f3de8b139d65b5b9bf4d20448e2.jpeg   FYI The hole in the tab under the nameplate is to hold the chuck key.  I see it is hanging from a rubber strap on the other side. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
prondzy
2 hours ago, John2189 said:


image.jpeg.521f5f3de8b139d65b5b9bf4d20448e2.jpeg   FYI The hole in the tab under the nameplate is to hold the chuck key.  I see it is hanging from a rubber strap on the other side. 

Isnt it for the optional light?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, prondzy said:

Isnt it for the optional light?

Correct. That tab is intended for the optional retirement light. I have seen dozens of very clever ways to store chuck key on drill presses all user made, but never seen a drill press with a factory intended place for it.

image.png.ec69e7cefb3dab0a096747731f7ddb73.png

Edited by formariz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
John2189

My apologies.  My Craftsman drill press does have a factory place for the chuck key on the table clamp  FE5C5435-D6B0-44A1-999D-82B123FC92CC.jpeg.4bed8cc5e518d601216e1dc0f4f43875.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, John2189 said:

My apologies.  My Craftsman drill press does have a factory place for the chuck key on the table clamp  FE5C5435-D6B0-44A1-999D-82B123FC92CC.jpeg.4bed8cc5e518d601216e1dc0f4f43875.jpeg

You are correct. Pretty unique to that model which was made by Atlas.Its from 1960 Does yours have the light in the recess under the head? Can you post some photos. That is a rather scarce model.

Edited by formariz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Mickwhitt

20200628_080059.jpg.f1fb71e5072e661e43a5895af7a61222.jpgHi Caz.

I used to have a Kerry 8 speed drill press like this one.

The pillar was made of hard chromed steel like they use for hydraulic cylinders piston and you very rarely see one with any rust.

They made a little cast iron tray like a soap dish clamped to the column for the chuck key to sit in.

I really miss that old drill.

Mick 

  • Heart 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
John2189
7 hours ago, formariz said:

You are correct. Pretty unique to that model which was made by Atlas.Its from 1960 Does yours have the light in the recess under the head? Can you post some photos. That is a rather scarce model.

This one is made by King-Sealey. In 1955 My father in law bought this a table saw, bandsaw and disc/belt sander.  I wouldn’t sell any of them for any amount of money. Hard to find this kind of quality today.  If you do, you can’t afford it. 
John

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
2 hours ago, John2189 said:

This one is made by King-Sealey. In 1955 My father in law bought this a table saw, bandsaw and disc/belt sander.  I wouldn’t sell any of them for any amount of money. Hard to find this kind of quality today.  If you do, you can’t afford it. 
John

They have a distinct look. Great character. They took a lot of pride not only in the quality but also on how they looked. None of that really exists today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
John2189

Drill press and my messy garage

41912D59-F2B1-4C36-9620-9DA3B8F532D8.jpeg

8A8E2796-AA98-4EBE-B8D4-A11BA67EEB30.jpeg

B4262077-7851-47CD-8475-4FB57A2B65A0.jpeg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
John2189

How do I rotate pics?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
14 minutes ago, John2189 said:

How do I rotate pics?

Use photo editor in your computer.

41912D59-F2B1-4C36-9620-9DA3B8F532D8.jpeg.f36dca96d03da73ea314a6b045fc4d59.jpg.8a11b7ade64afcb8ea2596d840d19685.jpg

 

B4262077-7851-47CD-8475-4FB57A2B65A0.jpeg.d6a9b7efea78ea2a2bb9c6b9216b6859.jpg.f51e5a7ce336cae11e1765d3b1307967.jpg

 

8A8E2796-AA98-4EBE-B8D4-A11BA67EEB30.jpeg.bc656fae2f2fa02a3c5b689fb8b38cc6.jpg.161fd75da21730eff3b5670b46329dc9.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz

Does that one have the light under the head?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
John2189
2 minutes ago, formariz said:

Use photo editor in your computer.

41912D59-F2B1-4C36-9620-9DA3B8F532D8.jpeg.f36dca96d03da73ea314a6b045fc4d59.jpg.8a11b7ade64afcb8ea2596d840d19685.jpg

 

B4262077-7851-47CD-8475-4FB57A2B65A0.jpeg.d6a9b7efea78ea2a2bb9c6b9216b6859.jpg.f51e5a7ce336cae11e1765d3b1307967.jpg

 

8A8E2796-AA98-4EBE-B8D4-A11BA67EEB30.jpeg.bc656fae2f2fa02a3c5b689fb8b38cc6.jpg.161fd75da21730eff3b5670b46329dc9.jpg

 

1 minute ago, formariz said:

Does that one have the light under the head?

No it doesn’t 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
John2189
3 minutes ago, formariz said:

Use photo editor in your computer.

41912D59-F2B1-4C36-9620-9DA3B8F532D8.jpeg.f36dca96d03da73ea314a6b045fc4d59.jpg.8a11b7ade64afcb8ea2596d840d19685.jpg

 

B4262077-7851-47CD-8475-4FB57A2B65A0.jpeg.d6a9b7efea78ea2a2bb9c6b9216b6859.jpg.f51e5a7ce336cae11e1765d3b1307967.jpg

 

8A8E2796-AA98-4EBE-B8D4-A11BA67EEB30.jpeg.bc656fae2f2fa02a3c5b689fb8b38cc6.jpg.161fd75da21730eff3b5670b46329dc9.jpg

Ok this on my iphone. In my photos, it is right but when they are in the posts, they are sideways 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
9 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

20200628_080059.jpg.f1fb71e5072e661e43a5895af7a61222.jpgHi Caz.

I used to have a Kerry 8 speed drill press like this one.

The pillar was made of hard chromed steel like they use for hydraulic cylinders piston and you very rarely see one with any rust.

They made a little cast iron tray like a soap dish clamped to the column for the chuck key to sit in.

I really miss that old drill.

Mick 

Interesting one . Never heard of that one. I really like that dish attached to it. It would be useful for also keeping things such as a lubricant stick for aluminum drilling. Is it clamped on it or part of it? Looks like one piece.

Got to pay more attention to that detail on others. Probably seen chuck key spots on others specially like @John2189's  but never thought about it or paid attention. That is something that all should have so as not to always be looking for the chuck key.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Mickwhitt

Caz, 

The tray is clamped onto the column and acts as a way to position the head a bit more safely.

 

Move the tray clamp down to where you want the head, then slacken the head clamp bolt and lower it down to the tray clamp before tightening the head clamp bolt. Less chance of losing control of the head and crashing it into the table, especially on the floor mounted model when you may be mounting tall work on the foot table.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
formariz
21 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Caz, 

The tray is clamped onto the column and acts as a way to position the head a bit more safely.

 

Move the tray clamp down to where you want the head, then slacken the head clamp bolt and lower it down to the tray clamp before tightening the head clamp bolt. Less chance of losing control of the head and crashing it into the table, especially on the floor mounted model when you may be mounting tall work on the foot table.

 

 

Will definitely work well for that. I couldn't even think of doing that by myself on my drill press. Did it once and was not able to push it back up by myself and tighten it at the same time. Occasionally I need to turn it 180 degrees  to the bench side and even then I wait for my son to help me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...