DarrellF

Ross Steering box rebuild D200

DarrellF

Ok guys am I missing anything

71930-C91 - Cub Cadet - Kit, Ball Cup

John Deere Cam follower M45567 9/16-18
John Deere Isolator M45568
John Deere Washer M43747

Not sure if the upgrade would work? In picture below.s-l400(2).jpg.f6098343054b22a8264af45bbaada520.jpg

Edited by DarrellF
forgot something
  • Like 1

DarrellF

I'll add pics tomorrow I'm beat tonight lol

pacer

I think that covers it... you'll probably only need the bottom balls/cage and the 9/16" cam follower. The bearing/washer is - 1 think - an after market thing to ease the steering a bit - Ive done about 5 of these things and never saw it on an original, but as soon as I saw what it did I added it to the last 3-4 that i did.

The last couple I did I could not find the cage/balls, so my race and existing balls were perfectly good, just the plastic cage was toast so I positioned it in the vise with the end upright and using heavy grease stacked the balls around the race to make them stick - I had to add 2 or 3 to fill in with out the cage and carefully screwed the plug back on --- worked like a charm. The cam follower is where the slop comes from.!!

What are you doing it on, a 'Big D' or ???? Its a bit of a pill to remove the assy on the D's, but it sure do make a difference!!

• Excellent 1

DarrellF

Ya now I have 3 of them lol starting to become family members lol

DarrellF

3rd D is for parts so I'm fixing the spare parts to have on the shelf incase, next I'll be doing a trans the pump and motor that way I'll have a new trans just waiting incase. Soon as I get everything fixed the way I want mechanical I can start on the beauty process. I'll try and get some pics up soon!

oliver2-44

I don't have a "D", but I rebuilt the Ross steering box on my 1965 Case 180.  The original manual called for a felt seal at he top of the tube under the steerring wheel.  This was non existing in any rebuild kits I saw online.  I used a plastic bushing and cut out a felt washer and glued it on the bushing.  The tractor stays parked indoors these dayss, so it probable doessn't need that felt weather seal. 

The worm gear in the Ross box had some fairly large pits on the last round of gear tooth and on the part where the balls ride at the bottom.  I couldn't find one to match the Case so I beed blasted it and built it up with JB weld, then filed/sanded it to shape.  Its nice and smooth for a  tractor that won't see much work any more.  

• Like 2

RandyLittrell
14 hours ago, oliver2-44 said:

I don't have a "D", but I rebuilt the Ross steering box on my 1965 Case 180.  The original manual called for a felt seal at he top of the tube under the steerring wheel.  This was non existing in any rebuild kits I saw online.  I used a plastic bushing and cut out a felt washer and glued it on the bushing.  The tractor stays parked indoors these dayss, so it probable doessn't need that felt weather seal. 

The worm gear in the Ross box had some fairly large pits on the last round of gear tooth and on the part where the balls ride at the bottom.  I couldn't find one to match the Case so I beed blasted it and built it up with JB weld, then filed/sanded it to shape.  Its nice and smooth for a  tractor that won't see much work any more.  

I have a bunch of felt that could easily be cut to make the seal. Let me know if you need some. 

Randy

• Like 1

pacer

Since the ones I rebuilt either had no felt or it was useless I just didnt bother - didnt seem to me to make a much difference.

What I DID do is to replace the plastic bushing in the column under the steer wheel with a flanged bearing (same one that fits the front spindle) It is a tad bit loose but I wrap masking tape around it til I get a snug fit. The plastic one usually has some slop in it any way, and it just might add a wee bit to easing the steering.

• Like 2

DarrellF

Pacer I was planning on using a bearing there as well,what you said a front wheel bearing is very close. I was wondering if anyone has tried thrust needle bearings on the spindles? Not sure there is enough room for them. Hmmm.

DarrellF

41f aMedbKL._AC_SY400_.jpg

953 nut

If you remove the front spindles and cut enough material off the TOP side of the axle to make up for the bearing and washers things will go together well.

• Heart 1

RL Whiting

At the top of my steering columns on my D's I use a wheel bearing for a wheelbarrow or the like.  3/4" id x 1-3/8" od with the flange. Usually these are 2 for 13 or 14 dollars on Ebay.

I slit the column on one side and use a hose clamp to stop the bearing from spinning in the tube and this works great and takes all the stress off of the shaft to the bottom.