jrotten13

Mower deck blades come loose.

jrotten13

Hey everyone. I've got a 42 inch RD mower that the blades come loose on. I've tightened them down as much as I could and they still come loose. Enough to rattle about. No key on the spindles. By the looks of it, the spindles never had keys on them. Any suggestions?

peter lena

those blades do not have keys , do you have a die nut, or a wire brush to clean out the  spindle threads? those nuts jam down to a tight set .i would guess either the nuts are badly corroded or the threads need cleaning for the nuts to bottom out. are you using a 6 point socket on them.?  just some ideas, pete 

jrotten13
Just now, peter lena said:

those blades do not have keys , do you have a die nut, or a wire brush to clean out the  spindle threads? those nuts jam down to a tight set .i would guess either the nuts are badly corroded or the threads need cleaning for the nuts to bottom out. are you using a 6 point socket on them.?  just some ideas, pete 

That's what I figured first. Cleaned the treads on both spindle and nuts. Using a star socket. Getting the torque on the nut is only limited by how hard I can hold the bottom nut when tightening. Unfortunately I didn't realize my blade was loose before it did some damage. The bottom of the spindle threads are stripped. However it's the area that isn't engaged by the nut. Only the blade. So shouldn't matter.

buckrancher

one of the problems that happens when a blade loosens up and free spins on the a shaft is having a groove wear in the shaft

after is happens the only fix is to replace the blade shaft as the blade will continue to loosen without full dia. contact in the blade hole on the shaft

jrotten13
1 minute ago, buckrancher said:

one of the problems that happens when a blade loosens up and free spins on the a shaft is having a groove wear in the shaft

after is happens the only fix is to replace the blade shaft as the blade will continue to loosen without full dia. contact in the blade hole on the 

You lost me. How does the shaft have any holding strength? Even on the other blades that dont loosen up, the threaded shaft is small enough to fit inside the blade. Enough so that I can set my blade on the shaft without a nut and they spin freely. If you're referring to the threads on the shaft not engaging the nut fully. That is not the case. The nut engages full threads .

JoeM

like Pete says, make sure threads are clean, oiled and the washers are in-place. New nuts would be a big plus. torque spec is 80 to 120, that is pretty tight.

• Like 2

pacer

You didnt mention having washers, do you have the cupped washers under the nut? They are a must have to prevent your problem.

As mentioned these things have to be TIGHT - I use 1/2" impact and let it hammer them down.

jrotten13
9 minutes ago, TractorJunkie said:

like Pete says, make sure threads are clean, oiled and the washers are in-place. New nuts would be a big plus. torque spec is 80 to 120, that is pretty tight.

Wow 80 to 120. Ima need a bigger wrench

jrotten13
Just now, pacer said:

You didnt mention having washers, do you have the cupped washers under the nut? They are a must have to prevent your problem.

As mentioned these things have to be TIGHT - I use 1/2" impact and let it hammer them down.

Yes washers are present.  I'll have to either get an impact or bigger wrench.

squonk

Throw the deck in your wife's car and take it to a shop. They might even do it for free! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

jrotten13
8 minutes ago, squonk said:

Throw the deck in your wife's car and take it to a shop. They might even do it for free! 

I see what ya did there...

squonk
1 hour ago, jrotten13 said:

I see what ya did there...

This is the kind of thing that happens when you hang around Waldo.

elcamino/wheelhorse

NO BBQ for you Skunky

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse
  • Haha 1

Rob R

I like the advice given to you by the folks above, in years past I had one blade that kept coming loose turns out it was a slightly bent shaft (PO hit something at high speed) which wobbled caused vibration and no matter what I did the blade / nut would come loose bottom line ended-up replacing  the spindle / mandrel  problem solved.

John2189
23 hours ago, jrotten13 said:

Yes washers are present.  I'll have to either get an impact or bigger wrench.

Good reason to buy more tools 🧰 

Edited by John2189