svt721

Kohler M12 Engine Lift Point

svt721

Going to be pulling the engine in my 312-8 in the next few weeks to rebuild the steering gear and was wondering where you guys attach an engine hoist to?  I noticed a bracket attached to one of the head bolts when I went through the engine a couple years ago - looks like a lift point but it also seems like a lot of weight for one head bolt and that bracket.  Am I crazy thinking this is what I should lift from or is there another place you guys recommend attaching a chain to?  I have to image these things weigh quite a bit to try and remove without a hoist, even without back problems :blink:

Mike

IMG_8081.JPG

• Like 1

squonk

You can redo the steering without pulling the engine. But if you insist on doing it I've pulled 14 and 16 HP engines by that strap before.

• Like 1

Achto

I put one hand under the fan shroud & other hand on the exhaust pipe to pull the engine with my Arm Strong hoist. :D 

Getting older though,:( might have to break down & get some thing hydraulic one of these days.

The pull strength of a 3/8" bolt is around 500lbs, your engine will weight nothing close to that. Be not afraid to use the lift eye.

• Like 3

squonk
25 minutes ago, Achto said:

Getting older though,:( might have to break down & get some thing hydraulic one of these days.

Just get Jim out of the lawn chair! 

• Haha 1

SPINJIM

After lifting an Onan P220 last year, only a few inches onto a lift platform, I had about $800 in medical bills for my 77 year old back.   I had worked for 30 years with medical equipment, and trained nurses to use the Hoyer Patient Lift, so I decided to check CL, and picked one up for $100.   It has a hydraulic lift capacity of 500 lbs., so it handled the Kohler K12 with no problem last week.   I highly recommend it if you can find one.   It can come apart in two pieces for storage when not needed, but I just slide the legs under a tractor for storage.   The legs pivot out so it can be maneuvered around the wheels.   Other medical patient lifts might work as well, but I'm more familiar with the Hoyer (also sold by Invacare).   Save your back.

P1011001 (3).JPG

Edited by SPINJIM
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 2