211-4

211-4 wiring help

211-4

I had to change the oil seal in my 11hp engine and unhooking wires to flip the motor over i must have forgotten what wires went where because i have a dark blue  HOT wire coming from ignition switch and no clue where it goes can anybody help me out please

Edited by 211-4
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Dark blue wire goes to the magneto on the engine. You should have a wire coming out from under the flywheel it connects to.

Garry

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Just noticed you used the word HOT to describe the wire.

Your magneto ignition is self powered and the single ignition wire is simply grounded to shut the ignition off. That is what the ignition does via the dark blue wire.

Never allow any battery power to enter that ignition wire. It will instantly burn the ignition coil up.

Added some color to one

Garry

Tractor 1988-89 208-4 211-4 211-5 212-5 Wiring Detailed #492-4509.jpg

• Like 2

211-4

I checked it out today...ok blue wire has a round circle connect on end of it (like its supposed to be bolted to something) and white wire has a special plug that plugs into black wire behind starter that goes under flywheel. I will get pics tomorrow. I appreciate any and all help with this. Mower is from my dad and i want to restore it completely. Also im having hard time finding decals for it

211-4

So i think your right about magneto but i dont recall ever messing with flywheel when i changed oil seal on bottom of engine. I dont even know how to get it off lol

20200603_191340.jpg

20200603_191454.jpg

gwest_ca

Have you had it running since the repair?

If that wire was once to the magneto the engine will not shut off with the key.

Blue wire not connected to the magneto the engine should run.

A ringed terminal is usually only used for ground wires where a screw fastens it to the chassis somewhere.

Everything else is push together connectors for a fast assembly.

Any chance that wire has a black stripe on it?  If it does it would be considered a black wire.

Is it the exact same blue as the blue wire at the ignition switch?

The blue magneto wire should enter the engine with the white wire because the magneto and alternator stator are next to each other. There are not many places the wires can go because they have to stay clear of the rotating flywheel.

What make of engine does it have?

At the time these models used Briggs & Stratton, Onan and Kawasaki. Maybe it is an extra wire used with an engine you don't have.

Garry

211-4

Ok finally got a few minutes to look at it again. So as far as i can tell its a solid blue no black in it. It comes straight from ignition switch. I have had it running but wont shut down with key have to push throttle down. I had the pto kick on once after i put oil seal in it but wouldnt today. Im 100% sure i didnt go under flywheel because of the screws and bolt have NOT been touched in a very long time(if they ever were since being bought new). I know my basics with engines like carbs, coils, pto's exc. But none when it comes to magnetos. Its a 11hp briggs engine and is the "basic" for features just has light, pto, and ignition switches. No volt meters or anything. Im just lost with it and my 4yr old son loves this mower more than any other toy with engines. He has been waiting to mow grass with me for over a year i cant let him down. Thanks for the help and advice by the way

Edited by 211-4
Typo

211-4

If i do try to put it on magneto, how would i go about doing that?

gwest_ca

Found a parts list for your engine

https://www.partstree.com/models/252707-0624-01-briggs-stratton-vertical-engine/

Look at the controls page.

https://www.partstree.com/models/252707-0624-01-briggs-stratton-vertical-engine/controls-4/

Item 222 has the throttle/governor controls and some use that bracket to mount an insulated terminal to. The magneto wire from under the flywheel may go to it. May look like item 507 or 507A. The insulated terminal has a spring loaded tap that secures the small wire from the magneto. Your blue wire may go to it so the ignition switch can control the ON - OFF of the ignition. 

Most of the parts have photos if you go down the list to the item number.

I will guess the ring terminal goes to a screw or bolt connected to the insulated terminal. To disconnect you would have removed the screw, nut or bolt, took the wire off and reinstalled the screw nut or bolt so you did not lose it.

The magnetos are self-powered. The magneto wire simply grounds the coil winding to shut the ignition off. When the magneto wire is not grounded the ignition will work. Do not allow any battery power to get to that magneto wire. It will instantly burn up the coil.

Do you have a way to determine if the blue wire ever sees battery power through the range of ignition switch key positions? Just to make sure the ring terminal will not short your coil.

If all is good you may see something on that control plate that looks familiar like a screw, nut or bolt that is loose. That is likely where that ring terminal goes.

Let us know what you find.

Garry

gwest_ca

Found this

Garry

B&S ignition Mag wire.jpg

• Like 1

WHNJ701

I have a 211-4 my grandfather bought new in 89 with the 11hp briggs, I will take a look.  

gwest_ca

Thanks jabelman. That would be a great help.

Garry

WHNJ701

20200616_200716.jpg

gwest_ca

Thank you. That is exactly what is needed.

Garry

WHNJ701

glad to help.  I was 10 when he bought that mower, I logged more hours cutting grass with that machine than any other I have had or will have!  still going strong ran it last weekend to cut some high grass in back of the property 

211-4

Jabelman your the best! Thats what i needed to see so i didnt end up burning anything up. Ill let ya know how it goes tomorrow. Thanks also Garry you guys are the best

211-4

Ok so now im confused....black wire that is with blue wire on side of throttle body....seems one is hot (blue) and black wire from coil is ground....they cant be hooked together otherwise ill fry something right?

gwest_ca

The blue wire should not be hot. That will burn up the ignition coil. 0 volts at all times.

With test light or voltmeter connect to (+) battery post. Connect the other tester  lead to the blue wire while the blue wire is disconnected from the tractor at the engine. You should have a light or voltage reading with the key in the OFF position only.

Garry