Sign in to follow this  
Diesel_Brad

Brinley sleeve hitch lift capacity

Diesel_Brad

I just put an aftermarket Brinley style sleeve hitch on my 522xi  tractor and I got to thinking it would be nice to be able to put a ball hitch on and move trailers around. But How much can the hitch handle? I assume the hydraulics or the cable are the 2 weakest links.

Edited by Diesel_Brad
spelling

Pullstart

I hauled trailers and the like quite a bit with a few of my horses.  If the Xi tractors are like their smaller cousins of the past, you are correct that the cable will fail before the hitch.  Luckily, Lowell @wheelhorseman makes great reproduction cables and I haven’t ever broken one of his!  www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com 

• Like 1

Diesel_Brad

And not entirely the same topic but when I was putting the hitch on, i noticed I can spin the hydro fan with my finger. Is that not supposed to be directly attached to the driveshaft from the engine?

Edited by Diesel_Brad

littleredrider

It should be. Maybe the bolt came loose....

R Scheer

The cables Lowell makes are very strong.  I tried pulling my brothers boat with Lowell Brinley hitch.  First try broke the threaded chain link, second try pulled the ball on the cable right through the retainer at the rock shaft.  The hitch and the cable were fine.  Note the boat is 19 feet, and had sunk into the ground a couple of inches.  Third try was with the fixed trailer receiver, the tractor pulled the boat out with no issue.  Moral there is a limit to what the lift can take.

Next time I'll look at using the lift to hitch the boat, and lower the hitch into some yet to be thought of lock so the stress is off the lift while pulling the boat.

Probably no issue if you're pulling a small trailer.

Lee1977

I bought my 520-H last spring it never had a lift cable on it. The lift tube was rusted almost shut. I manage to get it open, but when I ordered one of 

Wheelhorseman clevis Ihitch also ordered a new tube. 

SAM-1113.jpg

I think a rusty lift tube is the weakest link.

Edited by Lee1977