ATolles

Toro Wheel Horse 520-H Questions

tom2p

300 hours (less than)

just need to change fluids and filters - as lynnmor (and others) recommended in a post in your other thread 

can also inspect the belts ... inspect the blades ... 

no need to adjust valves or decarbonize at this point 

• Like 1

tom2p

Do you have a place inside to park it ?

Hopefully yes  -  the late 300-500 series Wheel Horse tractors (with additionsl wiring / safety switches / etc ) can develop electrical issues when they sit outside 

• Like 1

JCM

Nice tractor and a great deal. Keep it clean, well lubed, fresh oil in motor and transaxle, all filters and also keep the cylinder head fins clean on a regular basis with compressed air and you will have a tractor that may out live the both of us.     Good luck with it.

P1012668.JPG

P1012709.JPG

P1012416.JPG

2020-2.jpg

• Like 1

ATolles

@tom2p When should I do the valves and decarb? Thanks

JCM

1991 Operators manual service intervals maximum under normal conditions for cylinder head deposits is 1000 hours. I see nothing mentioned for valve adjustments and the engine service manual says to see the operators manual ? Maybe someone with more knowledge than myself can head you in the right direction.

Darb1964

ATolles, I have not done anything with the valves, or any interior work on my 520. The dealer replaced the carburetor about five years ago. I'm not comfortable with pulling a motor apart myself. I don't think the dealer did either when they replaced the carburetor. I don't recall them asking if I wanted them to do it. They did compliment me on the overall shape it was in, said it was good for another thirty years. I'm nervous myself after reading some posts on here, I guess I have been lucky because I have been religious on maintenance. Paint not so much. My father instilled that in me, that and not being late for an appointment.

I have a 518h that was given to me after sitting for a few years, obviously not well maintained, the guy that gave me the tractor said his service man said the motor was shot. I changed the oil,new spark plugs, air filter, drained the gas, put new gas lines and filter. Greased it up good. Put a good battery in it. I put a good douse of marvel mystery oil in the gas and oil, it started up smoked for a little bit and smoothed out and ran nice. When I put it in motion it almost stalled and smoked bad. Long story shortened some, the spring on the break was missing and when in forward motion the break would be activated. It will start smoking sometimes when working hard, but it clears up and runs strong. I was thinking of experimenting on the 518 first and if I do ok ill open up the 520 next. My brother is retiring after the first of the year,he said he would help me, he's good at it. Much knowledge on this forum also.

If I were you I would not let that 520 go unless I absolutely had to, it looks in very good condition. Do a complete service on it. Continue to keep up with it, you will not be disappointed with it. You got a deal of a life time, there's a lot of 520-H out there, but not many in the shape that is in, and they ain't making any more.

ATolles

@Darb1964 Appreciate the insight. I’m gonna just do the normal stuff then. Looking forward to having the time to do it and start mowing.  

EricF

Amazing bargain!

For the Onans, keep the oil changed on schedule and topped up -- oil circulation helps cool the engine, so oil is as vital as keeping the cooling fins clean.

I have the plastic belt guard as well with my 520H but I never attach it -- I leave the PTO and belts exposed like all the older horses. Less to block airflow across the engine; unless you're operating where people, particularly young'uns might get too close, every bit helps.

• Like 2

tom2p
10 hours ago, EricF said:

Amazing bargain!

For the Onans, keep the oil changed on schedule and topped up -- oil circulation helps cool the engine, so oil is as vital as keeping the cooling fins clean.

I have the plastic belt guard as well with my 520H but I never attach it -- I leave the PTO and belts exposed like all the older horses. Less to block airflow across the engine; unless you're operating where people, particularly young'uns might get too close, every bit helps.

agree - oil plays a vital role in the cooling process 

the engine is cooled - directly - by oil as the engine parts are lubricated as the engine runs

the engine is cooled - indirectly - as air passes over the surfaces of the engine (cylinder, head, etc.) as the engine runs 

Edited by tom2p