ATolles

Toro Wheel Horse 520-H Questions

ATolles

I just purchased another Wheel Horse...a 520-H that only has around 260hrs.  I think it is a late 90’s model. I currently own a 1985 417-A and was thinking of selling it and keeping the new one. My 417-A has the KT17 series 2 on it with almost 1,300 hrs. What are your thoughts? Should I sell the 417-A and keep the 520-H? It looks to be in excellent shape and was wondering about the 20HP Onan that is on it. I’ve heard bad things about the Onan’s. Not sure what to do. Any advice would help. Thanks.

onanparts.com
1 hour ago, ATolles said:

I just purchased another Wheel Horse...a 520-H that only has around 260hrs.  I think it is a late 90’s model. I currently own a 1985 417-A and was thinking of selling it and keeping the new one. My 417-A has the KT17 series 2 on it with almost 1,300 hrs. What are your thoughts? Should I sell the 417-A and keep the 520-H? It looks to be in excellent shape and was wondering about the 20HP Onan that is on it. I’ve heard bad things about the Onan’s. Not sure what to do. Any advice would help. Thanks.

The series 2 was a good engine. But 1300 hours Vs. a like new barely broke in Onan with 260 hours? Keep the 520-H! But I'm biased!!!! Many others will chime in and I bet the low hour Onan wins out. Keep both if possible! :)

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine

First question that comes to mind is

Do you NEED to sell one?

It's great to have backups of similar items or certain types of machinery. A garden tractor IS absolutely one of those things.

I don't have either one of those machines so I can't speak from experience. I understand that a 4:17 has a more simple wiring system. That would make repairs less complicated, in theory.

That said, a 520 with less than 300 hours? Should not be an awful lot going on if it was maintained halfway decent.

From what I've gathered the issues with the 520 are not so much related to the engines themselves being bad but more to a lack of maintenance by owners.

Was it me, I would definitely keep them BOTH if at all possible.

• Like 3

JAinVA

I think you will get the same answer from almost everyone here.Keep BOTH!

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

ATolles

Thanks for the reply’s. Money is tight so I may sell the 417-A. I hate to, but probably rather have the money right now. I’m not sure...still thinking it over. BTW...I picked up the 520-H for $375.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Confused 1

ATolles

This is the 520-H

E5792D3C-7FDC-4053-9171-15D508E6E667.jpeg

A7BAAD25-C354-4D37-A439-8DEB1CD51F80.jpeg

39F168DB-52E1-4136-BAA8-E501809FD6D1.jpeg

170616DF-F07F-4CE6-AFEF-2B7F08013853.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 7

JAinVA

Gorgeous.That mask you were wearing must have helped you steal that thing!

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

1995 520H+96+97

You have a 1997 520H. :wh:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

The Gman

Looks like it's barely out of its wrapper:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 1

kwalshy

Similar to others my initial thoughts were for you to keep both.  However, if you’re tight for money, then you could easily triple that $375 & sell the 520 for a big profit.  $375 is a steal for that tractor, it looks to be in excellent shape. 

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

Does the PO have any more $1500 tractors that he wants to sell for $375?

• Excellent 1
  • Haha 4

JoeM

Keep the oil changed and the fins clean and she will last a long time! 

Some but not all issues with the Onan are started some place by neglect. 

I had one with over 1500 hours and the guy I sold it to is still running it pushing 1700 hours. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

tom2p
13 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Does the PO have any more $1500 tractors that he wants to sell for $375?

and $1375 would have been a deal 

tom2p
18 hours ago, ATolles said:

Onan power is great - next best thing to a diesel - and this one only has 260 hours (?)

this was probably a $6K tractor (?)

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Yeah, I see many 48" SD decks in that condition  listed for $400.     You got a free 520H.

• Like 2

ATolles

The guy messaged me back today and said he forgot to give me something with the 520-H...a tiller!

3D95FFFD-05B6-404C-A237-79FCF91E96F8.jpeg

F4294BFB-F3B9-4B3B-8F86-A21D9DCFA22A.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2
  • Confused 1
  • Heart 1

pfrederi

You should buy a lottery ticket:P

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1995 520H+96+97

Never used tiller. :wh:

chex313
3 hours ago, ATolles said:

The guy messaged me back today and said he forgot to give me something with the 520-H...a tiller!

What's next ? His first born child?:laughing-rolling:

Edited by chex313
  • Haha 3

tom2p
5 hours ago, ATolles said:

3D95FFFD-05B6-404C-A237-79FCF91E96F8.jpeg

F4294BFB-F3B9-4B3B-8F86-A21D9DCFA22A.jpeg

the least he could do !

btw - nice looking 520 currently on eBay for $4K+

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ATolles

You guys are hilarious :laughing-rolling:

Edited by ATolles
  • Like 2

Bill D

That tiller is new.  There is still paint on the tines.  What a steal!

Edited by Bill D
  • Like 2

Darb1964

The 520h is a a beast of a tractor. I bought mine new in 1989 the hour meter stoped working over twenty years ago at 772. I would guess it has well over 2000. I have maintained it well, oil, air, fuel filters. But by no means pampered it. Still runs strong. I've replaced belts, carburetor, one rear seal. Last few years I have just used it to mow. I have acquired six more horse's in the last few years and use them all for other duties.

You got a hell of a deal on it, sell the tiller if you don't need it, and need the money, I've been there, keep the 417 if you can, if not that's the one I'd sell if I had to. I dread the day I have to sell mine, he who dies with the most horse's win.

• Like 3

ATolles

@Darb1964 Did you ever have to adjust valves and do some of the other heavy maintenance on the 520’s Onan motor? I’m a little worried about doing that. I’m mechanically inclined, but don’t work on motors. 

ATolles

Got it home, took the deck off, and washed it. Still can’t believe I paid $375 for the mower, 48” deck, and tiller! Now I have to make sure to do the normal checks and maintenance...oil in motor and trans, filters, plugs, etc.  It has less than 300 hours, but I’m thinking (from reading other posts) that I need to decarb and adjust the valves. Are the valves hard to adjust? Not familiar with doing that. Thanks.

84CFC2C8-1F57-497A-94A6-8536663E3C87.jpeg

98FB49FC-7806-4150-BDF6-07F7B9842746.jpeg

• Like 1