Sign in to follow this  
lotus1967

History Lesson

lotus1967

Can anyone tell me when the first Toro label appeared on Wheel Horse Tractors? Was this a year thing, or did it happen model by model? Other than the label, did Toro make any design changes during the transition?

Thanks

zieg72
http://cnr12533.tripod.com/ is a good place to start. Toro bought Wheel Horse in the mid 80's. I would imagine soon after they bought it the Toro name was added to the labeling.

CasualObserver

I don't remember, but I think it's around the 1989 or 1990 model years (whichever was after the last year of the maroon stripes.... Dustin?) . Toro bought Wheel Horse in 1986, and according to the book written by the Toro CEO called Making the Grass Greener on Your Side, Toro chose not to absorb the company and eliminate the name right away, but instead operated Wheel Horse as an independent company for a few years to try to learn what made it so successful, and see how best to integrate the Wheel Horse line into Toro's existing structure.

wh500special

Can anyone tell me when the first Toro label appeared on Wheel Horse Tractors?

1990. As far as I can remember, it was an across-the-board change to all models. The 1990 decals had small red WH lettering and a large Toro logo on a black background. In later years the Wheel Horse name became more prominent again.

Steve