Lane Ranger

What is this Part # and Can you still Get Them Anywhere?

Lane Ranger

100786006_2636218399955600_7297760059994406912_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_sid=b96e70&_nc_ohc=fwiPSIq2TycAX97cczs&_nc_ht=scontent.find1-1.fna&oh=3a0f5ba577fb41f1d9db73a339063706&oe=5EFA278E

This greaseable bolt was used on 1961 through 1963  Wheel Horse tractors on the front steering.   I can find no Part Number and any of the Wheel Horse Manuals for this.

I know they are on my 701  and I still grease them

Anyone know of a source for new ones?

• Like 3

JAinVA

I believe the number is 3949.There is a pair of NOS ones on E-bay.Just type in Wheel Horse steering.

• Like 3

gwest_ca

Item #242 in the 1961 parts lists part number 3949 but they call it a clevis pin. 

No part number for the nut or grease fitting

Garry

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

JAinVA

I was only going by the E-bay listing part number.The part listed looks like what Laneranger is looking for.

• Like 2

WHX??

Yeah I got a ton of them Lane, they are called Dan @Achto can probaly make them ..:lol:

Oddly enough we just kicked this around today when he was making a new drag link for his 701.  Looked again Dan and they are 1/2 -13 thd.. 

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

WHX??

I took the old ones and brazed them up and just re- drilled the grease holes if this helps Lane. Added bronze washers under them. Far as I know that was used on 61 and 62? 753 has conventional tie rods. 

20200210_174400.jpg

• Like 3

Achto
1 hour ago, Lane Ranger said:

Anyone know of a source for new ones?

Holy cow Lane, are we working on the same tractor??

Any way I just made a new drag link for my 701. The one on the top of this pic is the one that a PO/Shoe Man made. It did not look anything like stock & I didn't like how cobbled together that it looked.

DSCN3106-min.JPG.a145c4f547513e262bb7410854d19c06.JPG

They had doubled up the thickness on the ends. I was just about to head to a lathe to make new bolts and make my drag link to the stock specs but the more that I thought about it the more I liked the doubled up ends. More meat on the ends seemed like a good idea, So instead of making new bolts I decided to use the ones that the PO had made & doubled up the ends of my new drag link.

On to the bolts, sorry for the blurry pic.

DSCN3107-min.JPG.48e02807f8481d0ca36f31b563fa849c.JPG

If you grab some 1/2 13 bolts with a smooth shank towards the head, run a die down it until there ise only 1/4" of smooth surface left. Then drill an 1/8" hole length wise down the bolt, drill part of the way out larger to tap 1/4-28 threads for a grease cert, then cross drill 1/8" hole near the head. Depending on the length of the bolts that you find you may have to cut them down a bit. If you look at the pic below you can tell that the PO did not use a lathe to do this with the ones that they made. The grease cert is a bit off center.

DSCN3109-min.JPG.6ccbe51d63370ede35ad850852cdcfac.JPG

If you wish to make your own new ones it shouldn't be too difficult.

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

Lane Ranger

The beefed up drag link is a great idea!  I now see that they can be made without too much ballyhoo!  

8 hours ago, WHX24 said:

I took the old ones and brazed them up and just re- drilled the grease holes if this helps Lane. Added bronze washers under them. Far as I know that was used on 61 and 62? 753 has conventional tie rods. 

20200210_174400.jpg

jim. You added bronze washers under them at the top under the drag link or where???

Lane Ranger

I found my spare pair of these greaseable bolts #3949 as Wheel Horse labels them “clevis pins” !   I see I had a 701 that was parted out that had them on it.

the previous owner tried tightening up the steering doing some of what Jim did by adding bronze fittings.  He also drilled out the steering drag link for the fittings to fit tight and drilled holes in the bronze fitting so the grease would get in them . 

67404C06-1E0E-4204-9291-4DEE8F8961AE.jpeg

4135A03B-192E-432D-BD70-AA6D8C79477F.jpeg

29B04D94-AE00-48E4-A3C8-68C5A6B84F7C.jpeg

2A11A4A9-5EDE-478D-A42E-BF1DBE07CE86.jpeg

E3B82CB8-1BA3-4F36-A690-BB021BDAEA34.jpeg

04624279-F4C2-4719-BB7C-E0778BE625EA.jpeg

• Like 2

WHX??

Oddly the hole in the drag link on mine were not wallowed but the bolt shank was worn out of round. So I didn't need to use bushings.  Since I don't have ready access to a lathe to make new ones. I brazed up the shank and filed back down to fit. I could have had Dan turn me some new bolts but I just liked the thicker head the original bolts have so decided to save them.

I did use a bronze flat washer between the drag link and steering arm for some smoothness there. 

I would make a new drag link like Dan did and go back to original  without the bushings I were you. With or without the beefed up ends. If with you will need to make longer shanked grease bolts.

20200217_174241.jpg

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4

WHX??

After thought here too Lane if you want to stay original weld the holes up and re-drill to proper size.

If you make a new drag link let me know so I can put my finger prints in the wet paint like I did Dans! :lol:

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

WHX??
13 hours ago, JAinVA said:

I believe the number is 3949.There is a pair of NOS ones on E-bay.Just type in Wheel Horse steering.

I dunno Jim for $80.00  Dan can make a lot of them and get the satisfaction of making them himself. Did I mention Dan is a much better fabricator than I!?!? 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Wheel-Horse-1960-1962-Steering-Parts-Kit-w-3605-3949-x2-Also-Fits-1963-603/124048062848?hash=item1ce1d73980:g:HTMAAOSwCgJclD7v

• Like 1

WHX??
12 hours ago, Achto said:

The grease cert is a bit off center.

Got a feeling that will bother you and make new ones & send them to @ebinmaine…..claims he is a bit off center! :ychain:

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

JAinVA

The listing I was referring to was around $16.00 for the pair NOS.You cannot make them for that.

Edited by JAinVA
  • Like 5

Achto
11 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

Got a feeling that will bother you and make new ones

Your probably correct.  :D

• Like 1

WHX??

Musta not saw them Jim... 

• Like 2

JAinVA

I sent laneranger a PM last night with the item number and within minutes they were gone off the site.Lane sent me a message that he bought them.I am all for making your own parts when you can but not everyone has the tools or equipment some of us do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, WHX24 said:

Got a feeling that will bother you and make new ones & send them to @ebinmaine…..claims he is a bit off center! :ychain:

:ROTF:

You're not wrong Jim.

I got nothin......

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

WHX??

Good man he got them... for that much had I known I would have scored them and not bothered to repair. I do get a kick out of saving tho & gives me a chance to TRY  and sharpen my fab skills for when things just don't pop up on fleabay. 

1 hour ago, JAinVA said:

not everyone has the tools or equipment some of us do.

Agreed…. Or the talent  

2 hours ago, WHX24 said:

Did I mention Dan is a much better fabricator than I!?!?

That's what makes this such a great place... a member sees something another member needs and ….bam... he gets it at a good price. Hats off Jim, just as being at TSC and not knowing what belt you need and one quick post on the phone and you know! 

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 4

JAinVA
56 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

That's what makes this such a great place... a member sees something another member needs and ….bam

I agree completely.I have gotten so much help from the members here.

• Like 4
  • Heart 1