1988SS

314 - 8 - Fine Tuning Mower Height

1988SS

Is there a way to get a 3" cut? The rear roller are at max height. I'm just learning the machine and it seems the front wheels(48" side discharge) are not designed to adjust cut - just float. I assumed the previous owner set everything up right but at raised position the deck is not touching the tractor frame - could this be the solution? Also, it takes a lot of muscle to raise the deck - normal??

I just love using the classic  Wheel Horse in my neighborhood where almost everyone has new disposable machines.

Ed Kennell

You are correct, the front rollers are just to prevent scalping on rough terrain.  They normally do not touch.     The deck not touching the frame when in the raised transport position  should not have an effect on the cutting height setting.   That is controlled by the rear wheel height and the deck is leveled by the threaded rod connecting the rear wheel assembly to the deck  support fame.       To get a higher cutting height, you could install larger rear wheels and/or use the adjust-a-matic height control on the deck lift lever.

Oh, yes 48" decks and snow blowers are heavy and hard to lift.      That's one reason I  have all  Hydros with hydraulic lifts.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 1

peter lena

agree with ED  above ,  easy to go to larger rear wheels , martin wheels at tractor supply might be  you want , and also tweeking your available adjustments will help you get the height you want. i used a larger 6" wheel and added a higher hole to my deck adjustment ,lever setting ,  giving me the consistent cutting height i want , pete  

Lee1977

I did this to a 42" deck that i used to mow around the edge of the hay field.

SAM-1006.jpg

• Like 1

oliver2-44

I replaced the rear wheels on my 42" deck with 7" wheels.  That was about the largest size I could install.  It works good now with a higher cut!

Edited by oliver2-44
  • Excellent 1

1988SS

Thanks for the great advice.

Capecodderlawn

I ran into the same problem and the maximum height I could cut at was just shy of 3 inches. I welded pieces on as others so the rear wheels would lift the deck higher but the front was maxed out. It seems to me the best option was to raise the front of the deck by increasing tire diameter. I’m installing 2 18” front tires inlieu of the 16s which should raise the cut  an inch.

Gasaholic
46 minutes ago, Capecodderlawn said:

I ran into the same problem and the maximum height I could cut at was just shy of 3 inches. I welded pieces on as others so the rear wheels would lift the deck higher but the front was maxed out. It seems to me the best option was to raise the front of the deck by increasing tire diameter. I’m installing 2 18” front tires inlieu of the 16s which should raise the cut  an inch.

not on a full floating deck. Tractor ground clearance should not affect deck cut height, if it does something ain't right.  Full float decks, cutting height is controlled by rear deck wheels. 

front rollers (and rear anti-scalp rollers on some horse decks) are only there to help prevent blades/deck from cutting into ground when rear deck wheels roll into dips in the lawn. 

Changing front tractor tires should not affect cutting height of a full float deck. 

if front of deck was "maxed out" and wouldn't go any higher and deck still not level (tractor on flat ground, deck lowered to cut, rear wheels on ground, rollers not touching, the blades should be pretty much level front to back, perhaps just a tad (not more than 1/8") higher at the rear, which is what is called level deck)  then something is wrong with the deck or linkage (typically a bent deck, brackets, or worn out bushings, or incorrect assembly or parts)

Capecodderlawn

Hmmm, I’ve got a 314-8 tractor w a 48in side discharge model 78361. My dad bought it new and it’s been very well cared for and only has 143 hours on it. I doubt the mower deck was ever removed and it was set up at the dealer. Nothing appears bent and the mower does seem to float within the slots. With the deck sitting level the blade height on the front of the deck while sitting in my garage isn’t even 3 inches. You can see I welded steel to the rear deck adjustment so the wheels can lift it higher. There is no room for the deck to move vertically as it bottoms out on the tractor. I do see a piece of rubber bolted to the deck which prevents it from going higher. I’m trying to achieve a cutting height of about 4 inches. The manual indicated it’s capable of being adjusted to 3-1/2 but that just doesn’t seem possible. I’ve already taken the 16 inch tires off the rims and the 18s arrive Monday. I sure hope this works as they alone costs almost $100.

804B157E-7DB7-4124-B3F7-0E8634CA3855.jpeg

E7D11D0A-DD9F-47C5-92C1-1EBA245C4A1D.jpeg

Gasaholic

In your first pic - those rubber bumpers, when deck is raised to full up on the lift lever, those bumpers should *just* kiss the bottom of the running boards. (adjusted by the trunnion on the lift lever and link on tractor)

Then you let the deck lift lever down, the cutting height is set by the gage wheels (the 2 "lawnmower wheels on either side of deck) , and from that point, the blades should be rotated by hand (usually I do on left side) and check blade height at front and back at cutting tip of blade - They should be within an eighth inch of each other, signifying that deck is level. Level adjustment is achieved by the trunnion at back middle of deck linkage. if you got the side blade level front to back, generally the front blade should be sitting at the same cutting height.  Then the cutting height itself should be set & controlled by the gage wheels only. 

Then you rotate blades so the end blades point straight across side to side (perpendicular to tractor center line) and check height at blade tip on each side which should also be pretty much dead-on equal (otherwise you end up with "waves" or unevenly cut lawn)  if that is out of whack, generally indicates the gage wheels are not even (or different sizes, or wheel bracket is twisted somewhere)   

It is possible , if you have a dial-a-height adjustment on tractor , to catch lift lever before gage wheels even touch ground, in which case the deck is no longer full floating, and height is then being controlled by tractor and/or ground clearance. 

Raising front of tractor itself by putting bigger tires on it would only serve, at most, to make blades "front high" - if they get too front-high you're probably going to notice mower is leaving a high spot in your grass from front blade's lowest point cutting higher than the rear blades lowest point, since if gage wheels still make contact with ground, cutting height is still controlled by the gage wheels. 

To get a higher cutting height as you are looking for, while still maintaining the nice clean cut left by a full float deck, you'd need bigger gage wheels, or some means of raising the deck itself higher than the center line of those gage wheels. (Your welded tab looks like it should have raised your cutting height at least a half inch if not more)  I'd focus more on the gage wheel mechanism itself - the adjustment bracket, the gage wheel carrier bar, etc - because as I mentioned, as designed for these decks, the cutting height is controlled by the gage wheels... and by the time you get a 4 inch cut height, your deck is pretty much going to be at fully lifted "transport" position, I think.  (Try and shim up your gage wheels with blocks of wood to get blades to cut at 4 inches like you want and then you might see where you need to add height) 

Edited by Gasaholic

Capecodderlawn

Thanks for taking the time and providing all the great detail and information. I’ll double check everything and make adjustments based upon your directions. Since I modified the rear deck wheels to allow it to cut higher I’m going to move forward and install the new tires . I figure if the front is too high I can lower the tire pressure and drop the front. I appreciate your input. Cutting my lawn higher will definitely create a better lawn with less weeds.