JustinW.73

856 Restoration

kasey54

Sure is looking good! How is it mechanically?

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Wicked cool. Good to have you back. Niiiice looking rig there.

• Like 1

WHX??

Sawwweet dude  Looks like there is some attention to detail there.:handgestures-thumbupright:... ... you best put a ring on that girls finger!! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

pfrederi

Very nice work!!!

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

Nice!

:bow-blue:

• Like 1

Pullstart

Awesome work!  It has surely been a while, so :text-welcomeconfetti: back!

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Whow, one more Beauty grows

👍

• Like 1

JustinW.73

Thanks guys for all the comments. Kasey, mechanically the transmission was good (not like these transmissions go out lol). Engine was completely rebuilt my my buddy and me. 20 over with nos kohler piston and rings. New rod. All new gaskets. New points and condenser. Engine ran well before tearing apart, but it did smoke and needed a valve job badly. I’m technically the second owner of it. The guy I got it from dad bought it new in 66, he restored it back in the 90s, and past away last year. His son, the one I bought it from, never did anything with it after he past. So I’m going to call myself the second owner. Also got the deck with it which was in good shape. Still need to paint that. Only other thing mechanically that needs to be done the steering rods need replaced (if anyone has any really good used ones or even nos let me know) and the rh spindle where the tie rod connected is bent fairly well. Also have to replace the front pivot pin for the front axle. Have almost everything painted but the front axle, tie rods, and rh spindle. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 5

kasey54

Very good!! Wheel horse parts and more could help you with tie rod ends , here in our vendors section.

Also A to Z parts , also in vendors section , can probably help with used ones. Both guys are great.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
5 hours ago, kasey54 said:

Very good!! Wheel horse parts and more could help you with tie rod ends , here in our vendors section.

Also A to Z parts , also in vendors section , can probably help with used ones. Both guys are great.

I'll second that.

PeacemakerJack

What a cool gift from your sweetheart!  Thank you for sharing the backstory that goes with the tractor as well.  Can’t wait to see this one finished and then the reveal as your girl sees it for the first time:rolleyes:

Well Done.

• Like 1

JustinW.73

Thanks guys. I’ll check out those sites. Thanks. 

• Like 1

JustinW.73

Also, if anyone happens to have a manual for the 856 that is in really good condition (keeping in mind the age) let me know. Would like a nice manual to go with the tractor. 

Achto
14 hours ago, JustinW.73 said:

Also, if anyone happens to have a manual for the 856 that is in really good condition (keeping in mind the age) let me know.

You can down load a manual from here and print it out. I do this for the manuals for my tractors. Then I put them in protective sleeves and put them in a 3 ring binder.

Here is one more site to check for replacement tie rods. https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/about-us.html

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

rjg854

Good looking project, can hardly wait to see it finished :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

JustinW.73

Got more done today. Painted front rims and got the new tires on. Will be masking off the tires and wet sanding and coating the rims again to get rid of and scratches put in when mounting the tires. Also got the front axle painted and is now drying as well as the rear hitch. Will probably be able to get the axle on tonight along with one spindle and hold the left tire on to see how it looks. I need a new rh spindle. Mine was all bent up and can’t get it bent back right. Also found the updated tie rods on parts tree. Will be getting in some of those as well as new fender bumpers. Didn’t get a picture but decided to mount the rear rims on the tractor for now so it’s not on jack stands. Looks awesome. 

C9C091C6-A309-4E02-9B48-1EBCA8ABEC98.jpeg

1F04A448-89B3-479A-BC70-B55159ABF945.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

JustinW.73
On 5/29/2020 at 8:37 PM, Achto said:

You can down load a manual from here and print it out. I do this for the manuals for my tractors. Then I put them in protective sleeves and put them in a 3 ring binder.

Here is one more site to check for replacement tie rods. https://www.wheelhorsepartsandmore.com/about-us.html

I found a guy on eBay and after talking to him found out he had 2 856 manuals that were in good condition. 13 bucks I thought was pretty fair. 

• Like 4

Pullstart

I’m thinking the difference in axle and frame might be the texture of the cast vs the smooth steel?  Either way, it looks amazing!

• Like 4

JustinW.73
1 hour ago, pullstart said:

I’m thinking the difference in axle and frame might be the texture of the cast vs the smooth steel?  Either way, it looks amazing!

I thought that too. But sadly no. Took it back down to the frame and it is definitely pinkish. Sprayed the frame and transmission again with the same can I used on the front end. It’s definitely different. Of course I screwed up on that front piece and have to wait and sand it down to do one more coat. Will never be buying another can of krylon paint again after this is all done. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, JustinW.73 said:

I thought that too. But sadly no. Took it back down to the frame and it is definitely pinkish. Sprayed the frame and transmission again with the same can I used on the front end. It’s definitely different. Of course I screwed up on that front piece and have to wait and sand it down to do one more coat. Will never be buying another can of krylon paint again after this is all done. 

Any thoughts what may have caused the difference? Was the surface prepared in an identical manner?

Pullstart

Yeah, Rustoleum Regal Red seems to be the favorite, then Sunshine Red.

WHX??
1 hour ago, JustinW.73 said:

never be buying another can of krylon paint again

I say the same thing about Rustoleum when half the can refuses to spray! 

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, WHX24 said:

I say the same thing about Rustoleum when half the can refuses to spray! 

1 hour ago, JustinW.73 said:

never be buying another can of krylon

I've had problems with both in the past but I've learned to purchase them from chain stores so that I have a good return capability.

My Paint Department, also known as Trina, has a great leaning preference towards Rust-Oleum 2X. We've gone through AT LEAST 25 or 35 cans of 2x of different colors doing the tractors over the last couple years. I've had maybe two? Or 3? That were bad. And those were during the winter months and may have been frozen during shipment.

• Like 3