Greentored

Lets build a K321 torque monster

Greentored

Got the block and valves done. Cam is going out for heat treatment, rod will be cryo’d, then she’s ready to assemble. 

AB2EFF51-A062-477E-8286-0965793B2AD5.jpeg

F12EF07E-4A6B-42EB-9907-3447F9B20484.jpeg

26A6449D-9C15-4EBB-832F-61C9248E8B91.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

Howie

I have not been on here for a couple of days, so to answer your question on the

cam. Did not re heatreat the cam.  I think I took .040 or so off that thing. Don't 

think there was enough spring pressure to make it wear very quickly.

• Thanks 1

Pullstart

Scott, what a build!  I look forward to the dyno runs and the like!  How did you index the cam and how did you feather the sides of the lobes to be a smooth transition?  Is there any other step, or did the wheel on the lathe do the whole job?

• Thanks 1

Greentored

Rotating assembly balanced closer to 50%, Short block done, valve rotators eliminated, head milled and unshrouding roughed in, etc...   Used a K241 head so there would be plenty of room for mods/material removal and not lose a bunch of compression due to it. Sitting at 9.1:1 currently, so plenty more wiggle room for chamber work. The goal is 8.25:1 give or take a couple tenths.

C562BE3E-0F2A-47F3-B258-2AF8371A49CC.jpeg

D1BDF3E9-83EA-4FC0-B83E-23C15FF02A83.jpeg

ECEB8110-09E7-45D7-9F6B-7EB777839AE1.jpeg

9C59BF45-22C0-4096-A412-4E10E1B73B93.jpeg

Edited by Greentored
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Greentored
4 hours ago, pullstart said:

Scott, what a build!  I look forward to the dyno runs and the like!  How did you index the cam and how did you feather the sides of the lobes to be a smooth transition?  Is there any other step, or did the wheel on the lathe do the whole job?

Thanks man! I basically marked the cam gear with tape and a pointer as a reference, then rotated further and further back from the line, removing about .020 off the base circle. It left a bunch of narrow, straight cuts that I smoothed out with a fine file and a mandrel to keep it dead flat, the finished off with 400 and a quick polish.

If this thing wont pull a greasy string out of a cat's ass when its done, it was still a lot of fun to experiment!

• Haha 4

Greentored

The whole goal here is pretty simple:  get the air/fuel in fast and unrestricted, squeeze it hard, utilize every bit of the power stroke, and send ALL of it out fast and unrestricted:handgestures-thumbup:

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Was there in the Head not enough flesh and space to rework and use larger Valves?

i think it could may be enough space to increase the Valves.

Or do you play with any compressor idea‘s i.eg. roots or Turbo

Good work on the Engine, great to have all that equippment available to play with.

Greentored
2 hours ago, Tractorhead said:

Was there in the Head not enough flesh and space to rework and use larger Valves?

i think it could may be enough space to increase the Valves.

Or do you play with any compressor idea‘s i.eg. roots or Turbo

Good work on the Engine, great to have all that equippment available to play with.

The head gasket is the limiting factor- the intake side is already at the gasket line. I was able to remove a lot on exhaust side though, as this head originally came on a k241 with the 1 1/8 valve. This is a newer k321 which had the bigger 1 3/8 valve, which I left the same size. 
No power adders on anything here, I like to see how strong I can make em run naturally aspirated. 
very fortunate to have the equipment to do this👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Sounds interestingly, Curious what will be the results you get out of that reworked Engine.

I tried once on a 300ccm Smallengine give it a swirl channel short before it passing the intakevalve

with an impressive result. 

• Like 2

AHS
On 7/30/2020 at 2:51 PM, Greentored said:

The whole goal here is pretty simple:  get the air/fuel in fast and unrestricted, squeeze it hard, utilize every bit of the power stroke, and send ALL of it out fast and unrestricted:handgestures-thumbup:

Oh ya!! A man of my own heart!!!😀👍💪

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Greentored

Getting closer! Stay tuned, hope to drop her in the custom and light her off this weekend!

engine.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 1

Greentored

It’s alive, and got her taking her first breath on video. Nothing like the feeling of lighting off a fresh engine for the first time eh? 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Tuneup

Excellent, thanks, but would be much more entertaining to have the significant other throw open that door and yell about the fumes in the house. That'll happen here, today, at about 3PM. I love Saturdays. Nice job! Run that engine it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine

Sounds great!

I'll be looking forward to seeing how you think it does in "real world" power and torque.

• Like 2

Greentored
1 hour ago, Tuneup said:

Excellent, thanks, but would be much more entertaining to have the significant other throw open that door and yell about the fumes in the house. That'll happen here, today, at about 3PM. I love Saturdays. Nice job! Run that engine it.

I fixed that issue bud- bought my own place with a detached garage/workshop haha. I did buy it to flip, but let’s say I’m not in a big hurry to do so. This new Wheel Horse addiction would NOT fly at her place, tell ya that! :lol:

• Like 1

ebinmaine
4 minutes ago, Greentored said:

I fixed that issue bud- bought my own place with a detached garage/workshop haha. I did buy it to flip, but let’s say I’m not in a big hurry to do so. This new Wheel Horse addiction would NOT fly at her place, tell ya that! :lol:

Keep your place. 

:handgestures-thumbup:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Greentored
8 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Sounds great!

I'll be looking forward to seeing how you think it does in "real world" power and torque.

I did run it around the yard a bit. Initial impressions: it has a very deep, smoothe tone, but strangely quiet compared to the others I have using the same exact muffler. No ‘pop’ out of the exhaust like I expected from a lot more compression (final cc check 8.75:1) Throttle response is definitely snappier. What DID surprise me is the cam is noticeable at idle, barely, but certainly not a stock Kohler idle. Jamming the throttle open from idle in high gear, it actually pushes you back, and feels like it would keep right on winding up if I didn’t have it governed at 3500 (for now) keep in mind this is pulley swapped to make low range more useful, and will run 10-11mph flat out. 
Much more testing planned today. Can’t wait to hook an attachment to her and see how she pulls! 

• Excellent 1
  • Heart 1

Greentored

First run update: After a couple heat cycles, then pulling the wagon around doing yard cleanup, I hooked up the plow and made a few low gear/light load passes, then adjusted the plow to go as deep as it would, put it in 2nd (about 7mph with the pulley swap) and poured the coals to it. At that speed it didn’t like going below 2500 or so and tried to stall out, but over that, the power is definitely all there! It was either spinning the tires or carrying the front end 4 inches off the ground and throwing a sod rooster tail 😂

On the third pass, it popped a head gasket, and I limped it into the garage. There’s another gasket on the wall so stay tuned, once she cools down I’ll post a video of the plow shenanigans. Overall there is most definitely a big difference in power! 
Should’ve known to not use a non metal lined gasket in this application. 

DF9BBA3B-75FB-43D0-8D78-57A79DA1A8BD.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Greentored

Head gasket swap complete and holding up. Not ideal plow conditions but here she is, digging Carolina clay. Forget nice, straight furrows at this speed, but wanted to see what she had.

Never plowed with a stock K321, I dunno, maybe they’d do just as well, will have to

let you guys be the judge. The stock K301 this replaced certainly would not throw sod like this. 
Overall pretty happy and hope you fellas enjoyed following along with some mad scientist shenanigans

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 4
  • Excellent 1

AHS

Now, you try a regular 14hp stock! I can see by the revving from idle to high rpm.. that it does rev up a lot quicker than a stock one. @Greentored

• Like 1

ebinmaine
57 minutes ago, AHS said:

that it does rev up a lot quicker than a stock one

I'd had that thought too. 

Certainly seems very responsive!

• Like 2

oilwell1415

Sounds great and looks like it performs great as well.  What fuel are you running?  I'm curious how it will handle that compression after you work it a while and it gets good and hot.

• Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H
On 8/8/2020 at 6:26 PM, Greentored said:

Head gasket swap complete and holding up. Not ideal plow conditions but here she is, digging Carolina clay. Forget nice, straight furrows at this speed, but wanted to see what she had.

Never plowed with a stock K321, I dunno, maybe they’d do just as well, will have to

let you guys be the judge. The stock K301 this replaced certainly would not throw sod like this. 
Overall pretty happy and hope you fellas enjoyed following along with some mad scientist shenanigans

@PeacemakerJack @WHX24 @Achto. Any insights on the sod busting ?

• Thanks 1

PeacemakerJack

It is hard to see from the camera angle how it is actually handling the turning of the soil.  To me, much faster than 4mph is too fast for quality plowing (the dirt isn’t rolled over—it is slung across the field). however, as stated above, the purpose of the video is to showcase the power of the new engine build in the tractor.  Sure seems like it has power in spades.  Well done on the K321–looks like you were having fun in the dirt!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Greentored

@oilwell1415 just gassed up with the standard 87 thats in the jug. So far its burning nice and has been pretty 'quiet' at 20 degrees timing, but kinda planning on refilling the jugs with 90+ from here on out.

@PeacemakerJack oh, there was absolutely zero quality haha. I made a couple adjustments to no avail- it pretty much chose its own depth, anywhere from 3-4" to burying itself, half in and out of the trench as the plow pretty much steered the machine. The end results look like it was done at 1am on a Saturday if you know what I mean.  Maybe worse!

It was indeed a fun test, but pretty sure if I tried that crap in line at a plow day, the plow dog lynch mob would get the ropes out and drag ME behind it:lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 4