dells68

Home improvements stage 2

dells68

Spent yesterday and today working on a drainage issue behind the house and getting ready to pour a new back porch.  Had to bust up the old slab before I could start anything else.  Also, when we get really hard rains I would take on a little water in the basement.  This only happens 2 or 3 times a year, but that’s too much.  I decided to put in a drain line across the back near the base of our hill to drain the water away from the house and out to the driveway.  I’m going to cap the existing sidewalk and stoop to drain the water. Ack away from the house as well.  Getting there slowly!

70C2C1F9-FAC1-4059-8A48-693BFC508A4E.jpeg

60062A37-CB64-495F-9E66-C2EDA27977DB.jpeg

DA9D2BD3-93C3-414A-822D-F5D8AC9DE34B.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

Dell, that looks like easy digging on a hot day.  :occasion-xmas:

• Haha 2

dells68
2 minutes ago, stevasaurus said:

Dell, that looks like easy digging on a hot day.  :occasion-xmas:

Well, the good part is I have a Deere 750 loader to dig with and carry gravel.  Don’t hate that it’s green, no red tractors with a loader!  Got a surprise when I went to get a load of gravel at the quarry.  As of May 1, they will only load trucks and trailers with closed sides.  I understand the liability side, but it’s made it hard to get gravel.  Lucked out and the greenhouse up the road had some #57 rocks they were willing to sell.  I had just hauled about 10+ tons of rip rap out of the quarry a month ago, all that has changed now!

image.jpg

• Like 5
  • Excellent 1

SPINJIM
37 minutes ago, dells68 said:

As of May 1, they will only load trucks and trailers with closed sides.

Yeh, that's an inconvenience, but probably a good idea.  I've lost three windshields to stones that have fallen off of trucks.  

Nice work on the drainage system.   I've been putting off that job along one side of my pole barn.   You're lucky to have the FEL.

Jim

• Thanks 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, dells68 said:

they will only load trucks and trailers with closed sides

Been that way for as long as I can remember around here.

I have a local yard that won't even fill a pickup unless the back window is protected somehow.

Maine DOT says you're supposed to tarp any loose loads such as mulch or any aggregates as well. Most trucks are pretty good about that.

• Like 1

dells68

Talk about wiped out!  I spread over 6,000 pounds of gravel today between the porch and the drain line I put in.  I finally did smith the ground out a little, but  probably need to tiller it before I sew grass/. I pulled an old concrete cap off of the sidewalk.  Look how bad the original is tilted.  They must have poured it before the ground settled around the foundation.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

dells68

Got my forms up and finally had a chance to pour our concrete.  No way to get a truck back there, a Georgia buggy wouldn’t work on the hill, and I’m too cheap to hire a pump truck.  So, guess what I did!  We have a small electric concrete mixer, so I made two trips to Lowe’s for bagged concrete.  Ended up using 192 50 pound bags.  Talk about tired!  I’m exhausted!!!

01F83B7C-6F19-402E-8872-A1A59B65878E.jpeg

A50C1DB5-2F5E-434A-A15D-01EA21F7C2ED.jpeg

B23EF6FF-5E03-46CD-93AC-09DE8E6CE40C.jpeg

9C26498E-E16A-4D07-9DAC-DF7314C39F39.jpeg

273FAAD0-6C83-41CC-80C7-547A7324D525.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 5
  • Thanks 1

rjg854

I trust you had some help with that job.  Looks nice Dells, I know what a job that must have been, yikes!

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Nice work man!!

Nothing quite like the satisfaction of working that hard to achieve one's goal.

• Thanks 1

dells68

Thanks guys!  It was a bear!!  My dad did come and help with the mixing.  He can’t lift the bags, so he would man the mixer and I added the concrete when it was time.  Just having the company and extra help made a huge difference.  Dad and I work well together!  Now, I can sit back and watch the paint, er concrete dry!!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2
  • Haha 1

19richie66

That looks nice. When I did my back porch paver replacement, I removed just over 500 12” square pavers by myself. Stacked them up and then gave them away little by little to people in the neighborhood. I helped load them in whatever they brought over. So I moved all of them at least twice. Then I put down about 300 18” square pavers and a pallet of sod. I was beat and my back and hands just hurt.  I know you were tired with 192 bags of cement. Rest and enjoy your hard work. Looks great.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 1

Pullstart

Wow Dell!  I recall one night at the old house, starting a concrete job at 9:30 at night.  My FIL and I both had to get up before 4 am to make it to work.  We only mixed 21 80 lb. bags in a wheelbarrow that night.  I was a tired pup come morning!

• Like 1

dells68

Mixing and pouring by hand - mixer or hoe and tub is one hard job!!!!

3 hours ago, pullstart said:

Wow Dell!  I recall one night at the old house, starting a concrete job at 9:30 at night.  My FIL and I both had to get up before 4 am to make it to work.  We only mixed 21 80 lb. bags in a wheelbarrow that night.  I was a tired pup come morning!

• Like 1

tom2p
2 hours ago, dells68 said:

Mixing and pouring by hand - mixer or hoe and tub is one hard job!!!!

more mud !  need more mud !

still hear those words in my sleep  lol

just about anytime you are near cement (or mortar) it can be tough work  

I worked a number of summers and weekends as a labor with brick layers etc 

mixed mortar ... wheeled cement ... carried block ... brick (unloaded large trailers of bricks with brick tongs - not fun !)

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
On 6/3/2020 at 10:48 PM, dells68 said:

192 50 pound bags

If you tell anyone you can lift almost 5 tons, they won't believe you!

followed the instructions of one article.  Conveniently, nowadays you can find any information on the Internet...

Someone cooking SPAM?  I smell it coming!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
1 hour ago, eglanchamp said:

You're imagining it, man.

Maybe.  Time will tell.

• Like 1