Greentored

Building my ultimate horse

AHS

How do you like the caswells? @Greentored how easy is it of an install, 1 hard - 10 easy?

Greentored
22 hours ago, AHS said:

How do you like the caswells? @Greentored how easy is it of an install, 1 hard - 10 easy?

I’d give it a 8. Gotta be careful with threaded holes, spillage on exterior surfaces, etc... if it dries on anything it touches, it’s there for good. It’s a bit on the thick side, I like to put the cans in a tub of hot water before mixing and using. 
Been sealing up lantern tanks with it for years and only one failure-due to me not getting the old kerosene varnish out of the tank. 

Edited by Greentored
  • Like 1

Greentored

PS- on a cool note, I found out Caswells is located one town away from where I was born and raised, and one of my lifelong friends is one of the ‘higher ups’ there! 

• Like 1

AHS
20 minutes ago, Greentored said:

PS- on a cool note, I found out Caswells is located one town away from where I was born and raised, and one of my lifelong friends is one of the ‘higher ups’ there! 

And it’s cheap, made in the USA!! And you give it an 8! Deal! On my 857 tank, it’s clean where the fuel wasn’t; but where the fuel was, there is just a lite coat of rust going on there.

Greentored
5 hours ago, AHS said:

And it’s cheap, made in the USA!! And you give it an 8! Deal! On my 857 tank, it’s clean where the fuel wasn’t; but where the fuel was, there is just a lite coat of rust going on there.

This stuff will ‘lock’ the rust in place, seal

pinholes, etc....  you just don’t want any gummy fuel residue buildup in there, it doesn’t like that. 
I have an old dietz traffic gard wick lantern, had a hole rusted in the tank you could put your pinky finger through. I put a piece of duct tape over it, caswell’d it, tore the tape off. Been going strong 4 years now! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

Greentored

Update:  Hoss got the near-final adjustments and assembly, got a bath and went home to his stable yesterday, where he will have lots of room to play and lots of work to do! Still need to get a lift cable on and install some lights, and sometime down the road a PTO setup. 

Once the weather breaks (not long down here in nc) I'll throw a coat of wax on, do a quick photo shoot, and call this thread complete!

Sure has come a long way from photo 1 eh? haha

hoss20.jpg

hoss21.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 2