RandyLittrell

Mobile welding cart

RandyLittrell

I am taking a heavy duty cart that was my Dad's and turning it into a mobile welding table/cart. Welder will mount underneath and adding on to it to hold the bottle. It will have 5/16" plate in the top, and I plan to add some holes for doing some fab work. 

I don't know what it was originally made for but its 1/4" T shaped steel on the top what seems like pretty heavy duty tubing. The wheels you see are what I am adding to it, they came off of a tool box I use for a dresser in my bedroom. 

I may take a while to get done, I will keep posting pics as I work. Enjoy! 

20200519_102025.jpg

20200519_102637.jpg

20200519_111209.jpg

20200520_195620 (1).jpg

20200523_112837.jpg

• Like 8

peter lena

taking good advantage of red steel , that,s how you do it, we made up a number of weld cart inserts for hand  trucks to service all of our buildings . also made up every possible weld / power  connection adaptor to quickly get going on the problem. also added a couple of 48" rotary fans on mobile carts for hot area work.  just looking at your ideas and set up brings me back, good job, pete

RandyLittrell
1 hour ago, peter lena said:

taking good advantage of red steel , that,s how you do it, we made up a number of weld cart inserts for hand  trucks to service all of our buildings . also made up every possible weld / power  connection adaptor to quickly get going on the problem. also added a couple of 48" rotary fans on mobile carts for hot area work.  just looking at your ideas and set up brings me back, good job, pete

Thanks Pete! I pretty much do all my projects based on what I have already have or can pick up cheap. Gonna buy a new welder soon though, I have been using the same Chicago Electric welder for over 25 years and its getting tired. Its been a good one though, 150 amp transformer style with top loading wire. Built a bunch of stuff with it. My son bought a Millermatic 215 multi process machine last year and I really like it. Thinking about a Titanium 200 multi process.They seem to have some good reports and it would be plenty for my needs. 

Randy

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
15 hours ago, RandyLittrell said:

I will keep posting pics as I work. Enjoy

I'll be here.

Looks good so far.

• Like 1

RandyLittrell

Got a little more done today. I had an old metal drawer with bearing slides that fits just perfect. Welded it in and the end plates that the bottle's and wheels will go on. 

I'm not the best welder, but I'm working on it. 

20200526_160247.jpg

20200526_160258.jpg

20200526_160310.jpg

• Like 2

RandyLittrell

Welded the wheels on this morning, rolls good and everything still flat and square! I think I will weld up the mount for the welder and hose reels before I weld on the top. 

20200527_095322.jpg

20200527_105157.jpg

20200527_105209.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

RandyLittrell

Probably all I will get done till next week, going camping this weekend. Removed pretty much all the paint I need except for the steel drawer, which I will DA that. Gotta decide what color to paint, I have black and red tool boxes and we have Miller welders. Gonna buy a Titanium mig 170 and it's green. Gonna have to cogitate on it. 

20200527_152513.jpg

Edited by RandyLittrell
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, RandyLittrell said:

Gonna have to cogitate on it. 

I've been known to put great time and effort into those type of maneuvers and people can smell the smoke from miles and miles and miles around

• Haha 1

RandyLittrell

Have some more progress. Welded the shelf on that the welder will sit on. Kinda dwarfs my welder, but made to fit my Son's Miller as well as a plasma cutter or another welder could sit next to it. Will be putting expanded metal on the bottom shelf.

Need to weld on some hangers to put hoses on yet, haven't decided just what to build yet. More cogitating! 

I have been happy with the welder, my son likes it too. My scratch tig set up has shown up and will give that a shot one of these days. Need to procure an argon bottle yet. 

The shelf is made of steel from a bed frame and some blank sign metal my Dad had. Don't know where he got it, but free is free!!  Okay, on with the pics. 

20200624_114738.jpg

20200624_115307.jpg

20200624_115427_HDR.jpg

20200624_115418.jpg

20200624_120454.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1