D_Mac

Any Jacobsen Chief Fans here?

D_Mac

Looking at one, Seems like a pretty good Garden Tractor for the money. 10hp Kohler with the mowing deck. Anyone have any knowledge of them ?

00W0W_cSjYwmYM7xF_600x450.jpg

00y0y_67QV0XydxfB_600x450.jpg

• Like 7

ebinmaine

@Stepney might.... 

Mikey the Monkey

I definitely think it's worth what they're asking if it runs/drives as good as it looks

D_Mac

I talked to the guy. He has this tractor, an older Cub, and an older Sears Custom XL. I said if it wasnt in such good condition maybe I would have made an offer. I believe he painted the hood, grill and wheels. I have my hands full right now and no room for another one. Unless I find a good Wheel Horse, then I will make room.

Stepney

They are ... different to be sure. That has the smaller stamped metal deck. That is good.

The 42" was made of cast aluminum and not too many survive today. 

There is a 'reversing gearbox' off of the drive belt from the engine. This is on the transmission. It has a huge pulley on it. It is an odd design, parts are scarce, and the pulley is often impossible to remove without damage.
IF you buy it, listen to this area, and make sure there is no play in the pulley shaft as mentioned above. No odd noises. No slop. That one looks clean, and they really only fail from many many hours or hard use. These tractors did not even offer a PTO tiller as I remember. 
If it's worn, you'll have a very hard time with getting parts, I have owned three of these. 

Honestly they were a fantastic tractor otherwise. Perhaps the only machine I'd put as a rival to a WH.. besides maybe an old Sears. They ride well, steer very light, and have a nice creeper gear considering it's only a 4 speed.

Ahead of their time in all ways usually. My 1961 Jake Chief had features many other machines didn't boast for another several years. Factory lamps and self starter, 'modern' type engine controls, quick attach deck, etc.. 
Fine machine, really. Just have to be aware of that reversing drive.

Screen Shot 2020-05-14 at 11.03.49 PM.png

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

D_Mac

He has an older Sears Custom 10XL with mower deck and snowblower as well. I think they both are around 1971'ish

Stepney
2 minutes ago, D_Mac said:

He has an older Sears Custom 10XL with mower deck and snowblower as well. I think they both are around 1971'ish

I had 2 Sears Custom's, one 8, one 10XL..

Personally, I'd never own one again.
Suburban was an alright Sears tractor, but the XL was a low end .. even for sears .. 'riding mower with big wheels'.

They do have a neat appearance but I'd buy a Suburban first. All the custom implements are a bit different then the regular models, and it's cheaper in every detail. 

D_Mac

Good to know Thanks. I was only interested in the Chief. Like I said earlier, I have my hands full with this Lambert project. I also have the homemade Speedanza tractor I still want to make some changes too.

squonk

Here ya go @D_Mac $50 needs work! :)

00F0F_cFGkI6KyLlr_300x300.jpg.593eddc0e9e04a9c7351f1850fea0944.jpg

• Like 1

D_Mac
6 hours ago, squonk said:

Here ya go @D_Mac $50 needs work! :)

00F0F_cFGkI6KyLlr_300x300.jpg.593eddc0e9e04a9c7351f1850fea0944.jpg

Been there, done that. Those are tuff little things to work on.

20140406_125232.jpg