gwest_ca

Using the wrong ignition switch

gwest_ca

Owners often get the wrong ignition switch for the application that needs it because they look almost identical.

Often wonder what the consequences would be once the key is turned.

Here is the chance to find out.

Garry

Switch Ignition 103990 & 103991 Comparison.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

Vanl

Thanks , Printed that off and put in wheel horse File 

• Like 1

squonk

I know on a RER the wrong switch will send power to the mag and blow the coil! :rolleyes:

953 nut

Garry @gwest_ca, I had never taken the time to place the two switching layouts side by side. Very interesting to a wiring geek like me. 

I took your information and carried it out to see what would happen if a 103991 (Magneto) switch was placed in a Battery Ignition tractor. With the exception of a frustrated person wondering why nothin works the outcome would be rather harmless.

In the OFF position the R and A terminals would be connected Ground, no big deal.

In the RUN position the I, A and R terminals would be connected, nothing would happen but no harm would come of it.

In the START position the S an I terminals would be connected, once again nothing would happen but no harm would come of it.

On the other hand, if this situation were turned around and the 102990 (Battery Ignition) switch were placed in a Magneto tractor things get a bit more interesting and a whole lot more expensive.

In the OFF position none of the terminals are connected and all is well.

In the RUN position the B, R, A and M terminals are connected and magic smoke will be released from the Magneto.

In the START position the B, A, S and M terminals will be connected and the engine will turn over but there will be no spark because the magneto already is toast.

1223654511_ignitionswitchessidebyside.jpg.bf16792b9c75fcde359283f0e4d1b45a.jpg

Edited by 953 nut