ebinmaine

Muffler packing material? What to use?

ebinmaine

Another question I forgot to add to the above post.

Given the fact that I'm trying to make these quiet, if possible AND stop sparks from flying.

Should I cap the small pipe with the upper freeze plug and drill a series of small holes around the outside edge of that? Thereby forcing the exhaust to go out the small holes and into the upper chamber to exit.

If so, is there a packing that the exhaust can go right through without being detrimental to flow? Or should I build it without any packing and allow the movement of the exhaust through all the holes to be its own muffling effect?

WVHillbilly520H

The fiberglass packing is some of  your spark arrestor but adding a screen mesh (window screen) would be effective as well without reducing flow IMO.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

The fiberglass packing is some of  your spark arrestor but adding a screen mesh (window screen) would be effective as well without reducing flow IMO.

Should I run it as a straight through or cap the small pipe?

WVHillbilly520H

Straight.

• Thanks 1

littleredrider

I wouldn't think would have too many sparks flying. As low as the RPMs these turn, its really not a lot of force out of the exhaust. But you could get a spark arrester off a 4 wheeler or dirt bike. I have some if I can find em if need a pic...or mail to yah...

• Like 1

tom2p
On 5/11/2020 at 7:51 AM, Achto said:

I used fiberglass mat when I made the pipe for Radpferd. The same fiberglass mat that is used for making repairs on fiberglass.

IMG_20190416_145119785-min.jpg.3557d317a7801034b18e1cc94d584b88.jpgIMG_20190416_180322260-min.jpg.5ed9fe5f95576db618f32a188933f520.jpg

outstanding job - did you build this from scratch ?

reminds me a tad of the old 'off-road' chambered exhaust on the early Z-28 302's (but your pipe is perforated and packed with sound deadening material)

• Like 1

tom2p
4 hours ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

I think many of the US Forest approved spark arrestors had screen mesh or funky looking piece  ... some sort of baffling (?) ... to reduce sparks ?

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

ebinmaine
3 hours ago, littleredrider said:

pic

I would appreciate a picture but don't go too far out of your way to do it.

Achto
2 hours ago, tom2p said:

outstanding job - did you build this from scratch ?

:)Thank you, I did make it from scratch.

Here is a link to the making of it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1