Greentored

Think I’m in love with this 1277

Greentored

This ol girl was rough when I got her and still is, but even with the hydro being weak and in need of an overhaul, she’s been pulling the garden disc and taking trail rides without issue. 

Today I got a wild hair, freed up the deck spindles, chiseled the rust off the pulleys which rendered them pretty much shot, pulled the pto belt off the 520 and put her to some lawn duty. 

Truthfully, I don’t see why this ol girl, with some love, isn’t just as capable as my 520 for my little 1.2 acres and 50x50 garden. 

The current issue with this new Horse addiction is, with everything going on in this world, funds are tight. I put a LOT of time and money into the 520 and I absolutely love it, but if I were to let her go, I think there’d be a profit, enough funds to get the 1277 in correct order, put some more horses in the stable to fix and/or flip for side cash, and probably have enough left to stick another project 520 in the mix. Sure would miss than Onan rumble, although I’m dang impressed with this 12hp Kohler grunt and thump! 

Decisions, decisions....

what would you guys do in this situation? 

My girlfriend tells me- “I’m done giving you advice, all you do is wipe your a** with it and do what you want anyhow” 😂  but just incase, what say you folks? 

C1D5437B-D8B2-4C6E-872C-04A369A74C7D.jpeg

6A25283B-E801-4CA4-BCE4-9413B38CCEA0.jpeg

• Like 3

ebinmaine

Wellsirr.....

I'mma Kohler guy and I'mma "old stuff"  guy so my vote's to sell the "new" and keep/maintain the ole 1277

• Like 5

Greentored
32 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Wellsirr.....

I'mma Kohler guy and I'mma "old stuff"  guy so my vote's to sell the "new" and keep/maintain the ole 1277

Think that is exactly where this is headed buddy! 

• Like 1

Sam Pasch

I prefer the 60s and 70s wheel horses to the more modern ones so my vote is keep the 1277. Btw the 1277 is my favorite wheel horse of all time.

Edited by Sam Pasch
  • Like 2

daveoman1966

2 years ago..or more... I had  A 520-H along with a few other Wheelhorse Tractors.  My favorite has always been the C-160 auto and the Bonco 14... Both with Kohlers and both auto matic with hyd lift.  The 520-H was also with hyd lift and I regret selling it for $750...just the tractror.  

My advice...hide the 520-H from your girl friend... don't sell the kids.   Can never have too many.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Achto
2 hours ago, Greentored said:

Decisions, decisions....

what would you guys do in this situation? 

This is an easy question for me - What ever tractor comes to be in my possession, stays in my possession. This is why I have stopped buying :hide: Unless it's a good deal.:lol: As I am out of roof space. :(

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

tom2p

for smaller to medium size property - 12 hp is more than sufficient ... 

520 is ideally suited for a large amount of property - spins a 48" deck with ease and will also spin a 60" deck ... and maintain good speed cutting - heavy / tall grass and incline included 

Edited by tom2p

tom2p

for years I cut close to one acre with a 704 - and then later used it to cut little over an acre .. the 704 was fine 

I currently cut 2.5 - 3 acres 

used a 312-8 for years (and still have it /use it) - but now most times use a 416-H 

the 416-H is much better suited to cut a large amount of grass - saves me anywhere from 30-60 minutes 

can better spin a bigger deck and cut grass faster - especially tall/heavy grass and up grades 

416-H and 520-H (and similar ) sorta / kinda bridge the gap between something like a 10/12 hp manual and a recent more efficient zero turn 

in muscle car terms - 

a 312 or similar 1277 or whatever - is like a strong running small block Chevy ... 327 275 hp or maybe even a 350 350 ... something like that 

a 520 is more like a 454 ... maybe a 454 450  hp ...

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

D_Mac

From my personal experience I have regretted selling every WH that I ever sold. I unfortunately understand the tight funds situation all to well. I only sold mine cause I had to, not because I wanted to. That is why I dont have a Wheel Horse in my garage today. I do have a tractor < not a WH > that I love and I also have a project tractor that I have been working on because it gives me something to do in these times when I need something to take my mind off of my personal troubles. If you have the space to keep both and you dont absolutely need the cash hang on to both. Work on the 1277 a little at a time. Pick up some easy mowers to flip and use that money to finance your 1277 project. If a stable of Horses is what you want you cant get a stable full if you keep selling them off. 

• Like 1

rjg854

That's really not a difficult decision...……….

Keep them both :music-rockout:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Greentored
7 hours ago, tom2p said:

in muscle car terms - 

a 312 or similar 1277 or whatever - is like a strong running small block Chevy ... 327 275 hp or maybe even a 350 350 ... something like that 

a 520 is more like a 454 ... maybe a 454 450  hp ...

Love the analogy!  I think the Kohler is like an old 'poppin Jon' twin, and the 520 like a Buick 455.....torque for days!  hahaha

• Thanks 1

Greentored
6 hours ago, D_Mac said:

........ and I also have a project tractor that I have been working on because it gives me something to do in these times when I need something to take my mind off of my personal troubles................................................ Work on the 1277 a little at a time. Pick up some easy mowers to flip and use that money to finance your 1277 project. 

This is exactly what I am doing- to a T!:handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

Greentored If you can fit it your self that would be a plus. Save lots of $$$. I am not an auto fan but they do have there place in the tractor world. I hope you can fix up the old girl get her to be reliable. Enjoy it. Ohh! Old is better in my book also.

• Like 2

tom2p
3 hours ago, Greentored said:

Love the analogy!  I think the Kohler is like an old 'poppin Jon' twin, and the 520 like a Buick 455.....torque for days!  hahaha

yeah - maybe more like a Buick or Olds 455 ...  many good runners - but can be a bit finicky at times and some possible durability issues 

with your ability you could pick up and flip 520's (and 416's) that have been put out to pasture due to valve seat issues 

the valve seat issue is a show stopper for many - they will repower or move on to a different tractor - but for you not a big issue 

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 1

Greentored

Well, after much thought, just took a deposit on the 520 and sold for full asking price. Can’t deny having to swallow hard and crack a cold one- put a ton of time and funds into the ol girl and couldn’t have been happier with her, but I came out ahead, and this is going to open the stable flood gates- I can now put some needed funds into the 1277, start scrounging for more horses, and still have enough left to spread around for that dang thing called responsibility. 

Stay tunes, because knowing me, there is going to be something wild being built very soon! 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

something wild

NIIIICE

tom2p
14 hours ago, Greentored said:

Well, after much thought, just took a deposit on the 520 and sold for full asking price. Can’t deny having to swallow hard and crack a cold one- put a ton of time and funds into the ol girl and couldn’t have been happier with her, but I came out ahead, and this is going to open the stable flood gates- I can now put some needed funds into the 1277, start scrounging for more horses, and still have enough left to spread around for that dang thing called responsibility. 

Stay tunes, because knowing me, there is going to be something wild being built very soon! 

you are in good standing - as long as you don't sell the old trail machine ...  'temporary insanity' ... 'wheel'n horse' ... 

that one is a keeper !

if you do sell it - I want it !  lol

• Haha 2

Greentored

Kinda forgot about this thread haha, so heres an update:

The 520H is gone, and the funds filled my stable with more horses and parts- to the tune of NINE now in my possession if you include the parts tractors, a couple of which are just a non rolling chassis. This crap has gotten out of hand and I love it!

One of them was a C120 auto and was pretty complete minus engine, deck, etc...    that hydro is now in the 1277 and working perfectly! I love that thing so much I split the property in half when mowing so I get to use it more than once a week:lol:

As for 'something wild'- it has begun, and you can find it on the thread 'building my ultimate horse'- I took the rest of the C120, stabbed an 8 pinion 8 speed in it, hung round fenders, a late 60s hood, and slapped a K301 together out of the spare parts to get me by while I build a K321, which is getting bored, decked, milled, ported and relieved, and a grunt cam:handgestures-thumbup:

No turning back from this addiction now!

• Excellent 3

Pullstart
1 hour ago, Greentored said:

No turning back from this addiction now!

who’d want to, right?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Greentored
Just now, pullstart said:

who’d want to, right?

The girlfriend is suddenly ok with me having my own place to stay at on occasion, lets just say that:lol:

• Haha 2

Pullstart

I just waited until the magic words came out of my wife’s mouth “If you go buy a zero turn mower [to keep my front yard big], you can have as many Wheel Horses as you want.”

Then all of the sudden 20 is a floating average around here!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

RandyLittrell
On 6/4/2020 at 9:29 AM, pullstart said:

"you can have as many Wheel Horses as you want.”

These words will never flow from my wifes mouth!!!!!

Randy