DoctorP

NEW TO WHEELHORSE

CCW

@DoctorP Did you ever get a response to you dip stick question?  Sometimes the threads get lost in all the activity on this site.  If you did not get a response you might want to start a new posting to get your question active.

jay bee
On 5/11/2020 at 12:24 PM, DoctorP said:

I called the fellow I bought it from and he said I had the wrong dipstick. I measured the dip stick and it's 15" from tip to stopper

@DoctorP

Here is a picture of three dipsticks from three of my tractors

Top one is from 1980 K301AS 12HP engine with shallow oil pan that measures 1 1/2" deep and holds about 1 and a half quarts of oil.

Middle one is from 1978 K321AS 14HP engine with shallow oil pan that measures 1 1/2 " deep and holds about 1 and a half quarts of oil. 

Bottom one is from 1972 K321S 14HP engine with deep oil pan that measures 2 1/2" deep and holds about 2 and a half quarts of oil.

Kohler Service manual says the K engines that have the suffix A pan varies from 1 to 1 3/4 quarts.

Kohler also specifies Detergent Oil.

The Full line on these three dip sticks is 13" down from the bottom of the stopper and the Add line is at 13 7/8" down from the bottom of the stopper.

All three dip sticks measure about 14 1/8" from bottom of stopper to tip of dip stick.

I hope this helps you out.

IMG_1077.JPG.14c6dbe83b65a1e3ec62a0c02a2e7192.JPG

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

DoctorP

Thank you, Jim. I've been away for a while and don't have as much of an opportunity to reply to forum messages as before, but I certainly do appreciate this and it will help me determine if my dip stick is correct (which I believe it is not). In any event, the spring on my 42" deck as broken for the second time and I've got to try to find another one. I plan to try Fastenall today. I was told they may be able to provide one. Again, many thanks and my apologies for not having replied sooner.  DoctorP

bc.gold
On 5/11/2020 at 11:24 AM, DoctorP said:

I thought the tractor would come with the proper amount of oil so I didn't check it the first few times I used it

My father would have belt whipped me had I not check the engine oil first and ruined an engine over my neglect.

rjg854

:text-yeahthat: and more