Pullstart

Can rectifier 12V + be wired direct to the battery?

Pullstart

I am wiring this GT-14 with a new switch from iSaveTractors.  I realized there is no provision on the switch for the charging wire from the regulator/rectifier.  Can this go direct to the + side of the battery, or does it need to be through the switched power source to prevent any type of draw with the tractor off?

Pullstart

I checked a few of the other tractors in the shop and confirmed it looks like it’ll be just fine to do this.

• Like 1

Tractorhead

Can be hooked directly, but insert a fuse in line, to protect the wires, just in case rectifier dies.

Welding on frame or other purposes can be a reason for that.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine

:popcorn:

953 nut

:confusion-confused:              A member named @Save Old Iron has not posted here in a couple years. He was an absolute electrical goro.

I do remember him saying the the Regulator/Rectifier used on Kohler engines  will not work unless there is a 12 volt source to the B+ terminal. If the R/R is not disconnected while the engine is off there will be a slight parasitic drain on the battery. You could connect the R/R to the "A" terminal to isolate it with the key off and connect it with the key on.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

Pullstart
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:confusion-confused:              A member named @Save Old Iron has not posted here in a couple years. He was an absolute electrical goro.

I do remember him saying the the Regulator/Rectifier used on Kohler engines  will not work unless there is a 12 volt source to the B+ terminal. If the R/R is not disconnected while the engine is off there will be a slight parasitic drain on the battery. You could connect the R/R to the "A" terminal to isolate it with the key off and connect it with the key on.

that’s what I was looking for... thanks Richard!

• Like 1

Achto

I'm with Richard, that is the way that I wire all my tractors that have a R/R.

• Like 1

Kribbie

could someone picture and point out this B terminal for me? I have a c120 that has charging problems too. when at an idle the volt meter goes spastic and bounces all over the place, when revved up and running it goes steady in the center of gauge  and does not charge at all. am wondering if it would be the rectifier or the Stator?

953 nut

:WRS:

17 minutes ago, Kribbie said:

could someone picture and point out this B terminal for me? I have a c120 that has charging problems too. when at an idle the volt meter goes spastic and bounces all over the place, when revved up and running it goes steady in the center of gauge  and does not charge at all. am wondering if it would be the rectifier or the Stator?

Chances are that your C-120 has an amp meter rather than a volt meter. Your Voltage Regulator/Rectifier is probably a 15 amp unit which would have an "L" shaped connection. The two terminals next to each-other ( -- ) will go to the stator and the one below them would go to the ignition switch "R" terminal.

Begin by cleaning annd tightening all electrical connections including grounds. A bad connection at any point could give a problem.

• Like 1

Kribbie

Thank you sir for the response, this is what I have on mine1226497950_DSCF91111.JPG.7a338c9a26160444251ba4827bfbf56c.JPG

ebinmaine
21 minutes ago, Kribbie said:

Thank you sir for the response, this is what I have on mine1226497950_DSCF91111.JPG.7a338c9a26160444251ba4827bfbf56c.JPG

The black plastic plug has been removed at some point.

Take all 3 terminals off the voltage regulator.

Remove the voltage regulator.

Clean all terminals and mounting points.

Also, remove and clean the wires to the ammeter.

Recheck the system at that time.

It's important to remember that these are DC systems and MUST have a good ground.

• Like 1