Greentored

If you could build your ultimate Horse....

oliver2-44

For $1500 your paying for the front and rear weights, dozer blade and NOS deck and getting a free tractor.  Have you left to get it yet!

• Like 1

jshort
On 5/13/2020 at 10:47 PM, oliver2-44 said:

For $1500 your paying for the front and rear weights, dozer blade and NOS deck an, getting a free tractor.  Have you left to get it yet!

I was still hemming and hawing yesterday until I read your post. You, sir, made up my mind and put me in a panic as it wasn't sold yet. The minute  I got out of work I called, it was still there. Hooked up the trailer and off I go. This 520H  has been well cared for just like every piece of equipment this man owns. I know this after spending 3 1/2 hours looking at dip sticks on everything.  The 48" deck that was stated as new, is a little used.....very little used, was a bit too big for his hilly yard. I'll be posting pics going to take some today. Oh, ended up getting this baby for $1400 could have got into the 1300's  but don't like the number. Now I have a 74 B-100  and a 90 something 520H in less than a month. Now I have to figure how to put the deck on.  Later and many Thanks.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

tom2p
1 hour ago, jshort said:

I was still hemming and hawing yesterday until I read your post. You, sir, made up my mind and put me in a panic as it wasn't sold yet. The minute  I got out of work I called, it was still there. Hooked up the trailer and off I go. This 520H  has been well cared for just like every piece of equipment this man owns. I know this after spending 3 1/2 hours looking at dip sticks on everything.  The 48" deck that was stated as new, is a little used.....very little used, was a bit too big for his hilly yard. I'll be posting pics going to take some today. Oh, ended up getting this baby for $1400 could have got into the 1300's  but don't like the number. Now I have a 74 B-100  and a 90 something 520H in less than a month. Now I have to figure how to put the deck on.  Later and many Thanks.

48" deck "bit too big for his hilly yard" ... ?

don't understand that - but regardless 48" deck is ideal for a 520 (and 400 series etc) and if in great shape (including pulleys) prob worth around $400 ... 

I'm not an expert on Onan P220 - so others more knowledgeable can weigh in 

at 1200+ hours the valve clearance should have been set (multiple times ?) - if not should be set (now)

and maybe decarbonization also (?) 

the valve / valve seat area appears to be the Achilles heal on an Onan twin - especially the P220 - but if maintained properly can provide many (more) hours of service 

jshort
5 minutes ago, tom2p said:

48" deck "bit too big for his hilly yard" ... ?

don't understand that - but regardless 48" deck is ideal for a 520 (and 400 series etc) and if in great shape (including pulleys) prob worth around $400 ... 

I'm not an expert on Onan P220 - so others more knowledgeable can weigh in 

at 1200+ hours the valve clearance should have been set (multiple times ?) - if not should be set (now)

and maybe decarbonization also (?) 

the valve / valve seat area appears to be the Achilles heal on an Onan twin - especially the P220 - but if maintained properly can provide many (more) hours of service 

Wish you posted this yesterday, would still be hemming and hawing.  It sure does sound good running. Will be looking into the valve issue thanks for that. Decarbonization have to find out about. His yard was not that big just an uneven hill that made no sense to use a tractor on, in the back was a pool, garage, shed for tractors, driveway which he used blade to grade, and 20x100 patch of grass he did have a yamaha tractor with smaller deck set up for that. Thanks

jshort
32 minutes ago, jshort said:

Wish you posted this yesterday, would still be hemming and hawing.  It sure does sound good running. Will be looking into the valve issue thanks for that. Decarbonization have to find out about. His yard was not that big just an uneven hill that made no sense to use a tractor on, in the back was a pool, garage, shed for tractors, driveway which he used blade to grade, and 20x100 patch of grass he did have a yamaha tractor with smaller deck set up for that. Thanks

Watched the video on youtube about setting valve clearance okay get that. Don't know if this was done or not yet. Would the engine give any signs like smoking or some type of noise to indicate this would be needed, or just have it done?

tom2p
On 5/16/2020 at 1:04 PM, jshort said:

Watched the video on youtube about setting valve clearance okay get that. Don't know if this was done or not yet. Would the engine give any signs like smoking or some type of noise to indicate this would be needed, or just have it done?

cannot answer the questions - others with more knowledge / working experience with Onan 20 will need to weigh in 

i assume there will be a difference in performance - power will be reduced - but with an Onan 20 or even an Onan16 they still might produce fairly respectable ooomph with one poor cylinder (especially a 20)

in addition to reduction in performance - there could also be a difference in engine sound - and / or the flow of exhaust exiting the muffler ... ?

have not looked at a manual - valve clearance adjustment might be recommended at 400-500 hours ... or possibly 800-1000 ? 

I'm basically in the 'same boat' as you - have one 416-H ( Onan 16 / P216) with around 1000 hours and it's never been touched ... never had a valve clearance adjustment ;  did not realize valve adjustment was required until fairly recently when I joined this forum 

guess I was in denial - or possibly too accustomed to single cylinder Kohler power ...  they can go just about forever with very little required 

Edited by tom2p

chex313
On 5/16/2020 at 1:04 PM, jshort said:

Not likely, my compression was low and valves were out of adj last year when I ran mine for 1 and a half hours because my other tractor was down. Full power and no smoke...It wouldn't start after sitting for 2 weeks so I put it away till this year...There is a thread in engines section on it.

I think valve adj will go hand in hand with low compression, check that first.  

and Welcome to these great forums.

Edited by chex313
  • Like 1

Greentored

@jshort any questions on that Onan, ask away! I became a pretty quick self proclaimed expert on them when I found mine had a loose intake seat and had to replace it.  I owned a speed shop for years and been building engines for over 30. The Onans are a GREAT engine but can be finicky- they like clean and cool running and they will last forever. And they sound mean as all hell to boot, not to mention torque for days!

• Like 1

Greentored

Well, this 'ultimate tractor' stuff just got kicked into high gear! With selling the 520H, it freed up some play funds- picked up these four parts tractors right around the corner from me and swapped the C120 hydro into my new main tractor- the 1277. Now I have a hydro that doesnt get weak when it warms up:handgestures-thumbup:  

I want a 6/8 speed, but for lawn duty and a lot of things to mow around, it had to be a hydro. Current thought on an ultimate is to take that 'mystery tractor' in the center left of photo 1 since its a long frame/big 8 speed and mostly complete and use it as my building block. Picking up a 14hp Kohler possibly this weekend, I believe that will suffice until I find a cheap genset to rob a big Onan twin from. Next will be to ditch the floor boards and toss a pair of stirrups on it, and of course a metal tractor seat and AG tires. This would be my plow dog and overall heavy duty, non hydro user.

I think the 654 trail bomber is going to get returned to garden duty, and the C81 (also 6/8 speed) in the left photo may get the hopped up 11hp and become the new trail bomber. Will look for a nice little 8hp Kohler to stuff in the 654, hop it up a bit, and make a nice disc dragger and wagon yanker.

Of course, thats just the current plan. Something else may come along and throw the whole thing out of whack:lol:

whw.jpg

why.jpg

6549.jpg

6548.jpg

Edited by Greentored
  • Excellent 1

jshort
4 hours ago, Greentored said:

@jshort any questions on that Onan, ask away! I became a pretty quick self proclaimed expert on them when I found mine had a loose intake seat and had to replace it.  I owned a speed shop for years and been building engines for over 30. The Onans are a GREAT engine but can be finicky- they like clean and cool running and they will last forever. And they sound mean as all hell to boot, not to mention torque for days!

Thank you Green, Don't know if you followed the whole thread, but. Bought a 520h with 20hp Onan. Machine has aprox 1250 hrs. tom2p posted that a valve clearance adjustment should  have been done on it. For one I don't know if there has been one done or not. It starts right up no noises, sounds great and now I'm in limbo with this baby wondering whether to have this done or not, or just put the mowing deck on and use her. 

lynnmor
4 hours ago, jshort said:

Thank you Green, Don't know if you followed the whole thread, but. Bought a 520h with 20hp Onan. Machine has aprox 1250 hrs. tom2p posted that a valve clearance adjustment should  have been done on it. For one I don't know if there has been one done or not. It starts right up no noises, sounds great and now I'm in limbo with this baby wondering whether to have this done or not, or just put the mowing deck on and use her. 

The Onan Operators Manual says to adjust tappets and decarbon cylinder heads every 1000 hours.  If a valve clearance is too small, the valve will not completely close leading to a burnt valve and valve seat.  Your choice.

Greentored
16 hours ago, jshort said:

What @lynnmor said above buddy- do it!  If you have some mechanical experience and some patience when removing/installing the tins lol, you can handle it.  This thing is brand new to you, and the best way to learn about something new to you is to dive in and perform ALL the maintenance on it 'pretending' none of it has ever been done. Maybe you'll luck out and some has been- then you'll still have the peace of mind knowing shes ready to go to work, dependably, for many more years!

Yank the heads and decarbon, do the valve adjustment, change the engine and hydro oil and filters, grease everything and replace any grease fittings that are 'stuck', check or replace belts, fuel filter, maybe fuel lines, repack or at least check the front wheel bearings, and #1 on the list- check those rear hubs and make sure theyre tight!

danweikert21

If I had to do anything to my wheel horse it would be, put a smoke stack on it, add a sediment bowl to the gas tank, repaint the engine, and body. I would also completely rebuild my K 241. 

• Like 1

Greentored

After starting this thread and seeing all the sweet machines you all have put together, it inspired me. Picked up a bunch of parts on Friday and my ultimate build began today! 
starting a dedicated thread in the ‘restorations/mods’ forum👍

• Excellent 2