Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Wheel Horse 3D

Got home and foolishly attempted to weed eat the banks around here. Definately no assembly or painting parts tonight. So shaky I could barely hold the brush to acetone weld a head together! Lol

So I started a run with a bezel and a couple inner frames goin.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
13 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

bucket garden

Looks great!

Whatcha plantin'?

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse
33 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Looks great!

Whatcha plantin'?

Mostly my peppers in them havnt really thought it though. Tomatoes gonna go in the raised garden beds. Asparagus and garlic already in the ground. Might do a few herbs in them. Never tried a bucket garden b4 so all new to me. Open to suggestions as well lol. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
54 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Mostly my peppers in them havnt really thought it though. Tomatoes gonna go in the raised garden beds. Asparagus and garlic already in the ground. Might do a few herbs in them. Never tried a bucket garden b4 so all new to me. Open to suggestions as well lol. 

We haven't either. 

Raised beds here. 

Seems to me drainage will be a key. 

• Like 2

OldWorkHorse
1 hour ago, ebinmaine said:

We haven't either. 

Raised beds here. 

Seems to me drainage will be a key. 

Drilled sum holes in the bottom. Also picked up some 5 gallon canvas grow bags see witch ones I like better. 

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Wheel Horse 3D
3 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Made a bucket garden. 

We pick one of these up for peppers onion etc. Every chance we get!

16203455734768417086443300280923.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

OldWorkHorse
10 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

We pick one of these up for peppers onion etc. Every chance we get!

Yeah thos are awesome! Very useful. Make awesome burn pits too. I wanna try the box trick for potato. Ton of potatoes in a small area. Next on the build list. 

20100407_083503_gr09potato_footer.jpg

Edited by OldWorkHorse
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Wheel Horse 3D
1 minute ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Yeah thos are awesome! Very useful. Make awesome burn pits too. I wanna try the box trick for potato. Ton of potatoes in a small area. Next on the build list. 

Oh yeah! Grow a bit, add dirt, grow a little add more! I wanna do that with sweet potatoes!

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse
2 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Oh yeah! Grow a bit, add dirt, grow a little add more! I wanna do that with sweet potatoes!

Mmm, sweet potatoe fries 🍟 🤤

• Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Wheel Horse 3D
3 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Mmm, sweet potatoe fries 🍟 🤤

Oh yeah! And do 'em up waffle style!

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

Wheel Horse 3D

Weve been pondering how to keep weeds and what not outta the flower beds, and have decided were gonna try used asphalt shingles. Do like bowl shape around any plant we wanna keep to funnel water in and just pattern the rest all over. Gravel dont work, plastic dont work, worst thing ever was mrs attempt at mulch last year, she wont let me do indoor out door carpeting lol, so shingles it is! Maybe mulch after the concept peoves out, but weeds, box elders, and even sumac try to pop up no matter what we seem to do!

• Like 2

ebinmaine
8 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Weve been pondering how to keep weeds and what not outta the flower beds, and have decided were gonna try used asphalt shingles. Do like bowl shape around any plant we wanna keep to funnel water in and just pattern the rest all over. Gravel dont work, plastic dont work, worst thing ever was mrs attempt at mulch last year, she wont let me do indoor out door carpeting lol, so shingles it is! Maybe mulch after the concept peoves out, but weeds, box elders, and even sumac try to pop up no matter what we seem to do!

Carpet won't do it either. 

Tarps are ok to some extent. Won't last long. 

Landscaping cloth works about as good as a tarp. 

We've found the best way is not to use anything. Check the garden every  day or 2  and take a few minutes to pull the unwanted tiny sprouts before they grow much for roots. 

More work per week maybe... But less in the long run after you factor in the time to install and spread the ((tarp?)) And then still need to pull weeds... Then after a year or two need to remove/reinstall. THAT'S a PITA because it's half rotten then. 

• Like 1

tom2p
3 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Carpet won't do it either. 

Tarps are ok to some extent. Won't last long. 

Landscaping cloth works about as good as a tarp. 

We've found the best way is not to use anything. Check the garden every  day or 2  and take a few minutes to pull the unwanted tiny sprouts before they grow much for roots. 

More work per week maybe... But less in the long run after you factor in the time to install and spread the ((tarp?)) And then still need to pull weeds... Then after a year or two need to remove/reinstall. THAT'S a PITA because it's half rotten then. 

weeds will weed lol

we've used heavy duty landscape fabric in some areas and it has worked fairly well

the landscape fabric is covered  with a thick / tamped layer of shredded bark

some will spread layer of newspaper to block weeds - don't know how well it works ... ? ...

Edited by tom2p
  • Like 2

Stormin

Was supposed to rain today. But it's turned out nice an sunny. So the lawn got mowed with the walk behind and the green and verges with the C-125. :)

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

posifour11
17 hours ago, OldWorkHorse said:

I've done it with tires before. Worked pretty well. 

• Excellent 1

posifour11
17 hours ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Check out lasagna gardening. My ex would. Use cardboard. It broke down over the year and I tilled it in in the fall.

• Like 3

Mickwhitt

Busted my mobile phone screen so spent the last day trying to swap back onto an older phone so I can feel connected again lol.

Amazing how we have become so reliant on these little boxes.

Mick 

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D
2 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Busted my mobile phone screen

Uggh! The dogs busted my last one, and Mrs just lost her FB account due to a replacement!

posifour11

It's officially spring. The yankees are here. 🤣 Parades of huge campers and fancy boats. 

• Sad 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, posifour11 said:

It's officially spring. The yankees are here. 🤣 Parades of huge campers and fancy boats. 

Oh man..... Here too. 

Outta state license plates all over the place. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

8ntruck

Trimmed the edge of the ceramic floor tile in the 1/2 bath and installed a synthetic marble threshold.  Will grout the joint tomorrow.  Had to trim a scoch off of the bottom of the door as well to clear the threshold.

Trying to get a surveyor lined up for our property in Ky later this month, and working on a dirt work permit application for the driveway I want to at least get brush cleared for.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Wheel Horse 3D
4 hours ago, posifour11 said:

Boy, I love my quiet corner of the world!

• Like 3

Wheel Horse 3D
6 minutes ago, Wheel Horse 3D said:

Boy, I love my quiet corner of the world!

Quiet, hill top, back to the woods edge of a quiet rural neighborhood, in a quiet little county, in one of the most quiet and overlooked gems of a state.

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 2