Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, haydendavid380 said:

Check out Allyn Hane on "The Lawn Care Nut" channel

I have checked him out...watched a few of his videos...went outside, and my lawn was still the same... didn't work...:lol:

• Haha 2

OldWorkHorse
9 hours ago, Horse Newbie said:

Man, ya'll are ticking me off with these beautiful lawns...I am realizing I have a loooooooong way to go !   :(

Yup, imma grab some green paint while I'm out today gonna have mine looking real nice! :laughing-lettersrofl:

• Haha 4

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Yup, imma grab some green paint while I'm out today gonna have mine looking real nice! :laughing-lettersrofl:

That's the only way it would ever happen around my house.

I have no desire to have a lawn. No desire to mow a lawn. I don't even try to grow grass anywhere.

• Haha 1

OldWorkHorse
3 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I have no desire to have a lawn. No desire to mow a lawn. I don't even try to grow grass anywhere.

I grow mostly rocks and hornets with some moss here and there. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

ebinmaine
16 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

I grow mostly rocks and hornets with some moss here and there. 

That's a fair description of my terrain as well

• Haha 3

Mickwhitt

Decided to modify the little flat bed trailer i made for Fred. 

It needs sides on it so I've welded some angle and tube up to create a frame for a wooden box. 

I will make a tailgate too so I can get long stuff in there.

Once the wood is in I will take some snaps.

Mick 

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse

Built a fence at my mom and dad's house so the dog can roam the land. Made it from pressure treated gold too. 

20210419_174300.jpg

20210419_174232.jpg

• Like 2

squonk

Serviced the Horse Haulers on anticipation of a trip to PA in 2 months.

• Like 3

Stepney

Got the old Country Squire going and dragged my new air compressor into the shed.

Did I want one this big? Honestly, no.. but I got it for a bargain and it's more air than either of my sandblasters will ever need. 

Moving an anchor like that on a grade like ours, on a Squire that wasn't fitted with brakes.. it's a lot of fun..

Had piles of firewood sitting around as bump stops. 

IMG_1146.jpg

IMG_1153.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

squonk

I hope you're going to get that exhaust out of the shed! :blink:

ebinmaine
29 minutes ago, squonk said:

That's just mouse deterrent

• Haha 2
  • Heart 1

Stepney
1 hour ago, squonk said:

Oh yes, that's just temporary placement. Eventually that side will face the wall and itll be plumbed outside. Likely with a 20' flex pipe to be safe. 

• Like 1

haydendavid380
13 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

Growing up my parents had a ton of land. About 4 acres of "grass" (which just meant it was cut with the lawn mower) and 15 acres of field which was cut with an old MF65 and a 60" bush hog. After all that seat time I never thought I'd enjoy yard maintenance. 

These days I have a half acre. The front yard is only about 5,000 ft², and that's all I take good care of. I have a GSD and a lab that do a number on the back yard, and trying to grow anything is futile

. All together I spend less than an hour a week on the nice front area, which is mostly pushing it with my Super Recycler and trimming/edging/blowing. The back gives me about a nice 30 minutes of seat time on one of the horses. 

I wouldn't want any more area to diligently take care of, but the small area is nice. Almost like a garden. 

Edited by haydendavid380
  • Like 1

Mickwhitt

Really warm spring day here, perfect for some outdoor welding and fabricating on my box trailer.

I welded the basic frame on yesterday and went to the wood yard first thing for some timber to line it. 

Turns out fence palings were perfect, ready cut and treated.

Just over a pound each I bought 20 and set about cutting and fitting.20210420_153221.jpg.42be561231e7a046a32e99be84c18ddc.jpgSo a basic box shaped body made of 4 inch by 5/8 inch timber lengths. That way if one gets broken its easier to repair than sheet material.

20210420_153225.jpg.3bdd1f27d869a314f3b9599f8932b909.jpgIts probably not as heavy duty as some would like but its only for tools and such like.

20210420_153237.jpg.04aadc4355e1cde1009789622f645a72.jpgI made a slide in tailgate. It didn't need hinges so it used angle iron to make slots on each corner upright into which my rear door slides.

20210420_153328.jpg.7d77fd6fe525cf1bed20a9e3b40cbdb2.jpgI wanted to retain the tipping wheelbarrow body that I had made and so made sure it would work on its current hinge system with the body sides in place. 

20210420_153337.jpg.de90b928a321359ba96cd17e91981e7a.jpg

All in all it looks ok and works well.

Just a bit of red paint to be splashed around tomorrow and it will look just the part. 

Next question is should I take off the fixed axle and fit rubber suspension arms so I can used it with my car? 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

should I take off the fixed axle and fit rubber suspension arms so I can used it with my car?

Given the occasional necessity of such I don't see why not

Mickwhitt

Its not a big job and the units are pretty cheap for 250kg ones which is all I need.

I can put hubs and wheels on rather than the jd pressed steel turf tyres that are on it now. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
Just now, Mickwhitt said:

Its not a big job and the units are pretty cheap for 250kg ones which is all I need.

I can put hubs and wheels on rather than the jd pressed steel turf tyres that are on it now. 

Would you occasionally use it on the road?

Mickwhitt

It might be handy fir those odd trips where I don't need the 8 foot trailer. Taking tools to jobs etc. 

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Only disadvantage that comes immediately to mind is that it may be too small for road usage if your surfaces are kind of rough. Possibly really bouncy? Other than that, I'd do it.

Mickwhitt

It won't hurt as an experiment. 

Either way the trailer will still be ok on Fred.

I did drag it behind the car to move a large potted plant and it bounced a lot on the current tyres with no suspension. 

But with indespension units and road tyres it will be a lot better.

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

This is the trailer in primer grey.

20210421_162857.jpg.98dd19c98ca0900f9e585a75e0ab304d.jpgFitted on the tow ball of the car it seems to be at the right height and should benefit from a suspension upgrade. 

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Broke out the spray gun and shot a coat of red over the primer.

Doesn't have to be anything special for this working trailer.

20210421_190651.jpg.e6b8ba3d6ccf8be48818c50aa178b5b7.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

working trailer.

Did you already put some sort of suspension under that?

Mickwhitt

No just the turf tyres on a solid axle. Perfectly good for the WH but not if I want to use it at higher speed.

• Like 1

Stormin

Took the Sears and Saxon trailer down the far fields for more future firewood. Chainsaw etc in the box on the rear rack. Ground had really dried up since my last visit and I didn't need the chainsaw. Didn't need to put my boots on either.

Richard the farmers son had been down tidying up, putting the rubbish in heaps ready to burn. The big stuff he's left by the side of the field. Cut into nice handy, manageable lengths that fitted nicely in the trailer.

Took one load home and after unloading, leaving the chainsaw etc at home, returned for a second load. The rack box was also filled with some smaller lumps.

One more trip, maybe two, at the weekend should see me done. I'm about out of space in my wood yard for much more. :D 

• Like 1