Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

8ntruck
On 2/11/2024 at 7:01 AM, ebinmaine said:

Various AC Delco parts have been coming from China for at least 13 or 14 years that I can account for. 

I haven't been in the Auto Parts Industry for that long and remember the issues then.  

One of my projects was tooling up a mini spare for one of our customers.  They were having the same part made in China, so we got our hands on one for evaluation and comparison.  Dimensionally and appearance was OK.  We then proceeded to put one up on a test machine.  It did not pass!  The product engineering group passed that information on to the customer.  Never did hear what happened.

We ran that one in production for a few years.

• Like 2

Handy Don
18 hours ago, squonk said:

wife called Tues whilst I was at work. Dryer quit working. She tried another plug and got it done. Today was spent at the outlet! 

outlet.jpg.d9afb4589bd875f63a8dd3c04bc3c2a3.jpg

Lucky the call wasn’t to come home and watch the fire department try to save the house.

• Like 2

lynnmor
19 hours ago, squonk said:

wife called Tues whilst I was at work. Dryer quit working. She tried another plug and got it done. Today was spent at the outlet! 

outlet.jpg.d9afb4589bd875f63a8dd3c04bc3c2a3.jpg

I see a photo of a  failed 120 volt receptacle, not a plug.  A clothes dryer would use a 240 volt receptacle.  Was it a hair dryer? Just wondering about the actual failure.

Edited by lynnmor

Ed Kennell
5 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

failed 120 volt receptacle,

The green new plan......run our 240VAC clothes dryers on 120VAC ?

• Haha 1

squonk
29 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

I see a photo of a  failed 120 volt receptacle, not a plug.  A clothes dryer would use a 240 volt receptacle.  Was it a hair dryer? Just wondering about the actual failure.

Gas Dryer. Dryer rated at 6 AMPS. Inrush at start up (centrifugal switch engaged ) is 36 amps for 1 second. Amp draw with igniter activated is 7.1 Amps and when just the tumbler motor 4.4 Amps

Edited by squonk
  • Like 2

ebinmaine
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

Gas Dryer. Dryer rated at 6 AMPS. Inrush at start up (centrifugal switch engaged ) is 36 amps for 1 second. 

What size breaker do you use for that??

Ed Kennell
10 minutes ago, squonk said:

36 amps for 1 second

Ya think that was enough to smoke it, or was it a bad connection?

squonk
9 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

What size breaker do you use for that??

15 Amp circuit

8 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Ya think that was enough to smoke it, or was it a bad connection?

Sure it was either a bad connection or worn out recep. I installed this about 30 yrs. ago. Old house. When the front load washer has an unbalanced load it shakes the floor pretty good and of course the wall. All of that bouncing around takes it's toll. I don't remember what grade recep I used way back then but I used to top level HD grade on the repair.

Funny story about the word Receptacle. Years ago at work our electrician was looking at paper work from a Grainger order we just got. He says " This invoice says 10 black receptacles came in. I didn't order any. Where are they? " I pointed behind him to the stack of 10 black trash cans the grounds crew ordered! :hilarious:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 1
  • Haha 4

squonk

Checked the outlet and plug with it not running with a laser thermometer 71° After 10 minutes of run time 73° :helmet:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, squonk said:

Checked the outlet and plug with it not running with a laser thermometer 71° After 10 minutes of run time 73° :helmet:

Thats a wee bit better :handgestures-thumbupright:

Ed Kennell

Finally,

No photo description available.

Got my new deer stand finished.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4
  • Heart 2

953 nut
On 2/24/2024 at 9:46 AM, Ed Kennell said:

The green new plan......run our 240VAC clothes dryers on 120VAC ?

The latest and greatest is a combination washer/ dryer in one unit that operates on 120 and has no dryer vent. The dryer doesn't use heat to dry the clothing, it is like an air conditioner and removes the humidity from them. A friend of mine just got one and is real happy with it. The total cycle of washing and drying takes about four hours but they just load it, start the process and when they get home from work the load has been washed and dried, no fabric softener needed.

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, 953 nut said:

The latest and greatest is a combination washer/ dryer in one unit that operates on 120 and has no dryer vent. The dryer doesn't use heat to dry the clothing, it is like an air conditioner and removes the humidity from them. A friend of mine just got one and is real happy with it. The total cycle of washing and drying takes about four hours but they just load it, start the process and when they get home from work the load has been washed and dried, no fabric softener needed.

That sounds interesting

19richie66

Made some test plaques for our annual chili cookoff. The same main logos will go on three cutting boards for first, second and third place. Still trying to get the hang of this thing. 

IMG_4308.jpeg

Edited by 19richie66
  • Excellent 6

SylvanLakeWH
41 minutes ago, 19richie66 said:

Made some test plaques for our annual chili cookoff. The same main logos will go on three cutting boards for first, second and third place. Still trying to get the hang of this thing. 

IMG_4308.jpeg

Nice!!! :clap:

You need any judges? :popcorn:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

lynnmor
4 hours ago, 953 nut said:

My new neighbor installed the latest and greatest solar and wind powered dryer.  Today, Monday, is wash day.

IMG_1102.thumb.JPG.684accddb4c1c77d819a9b2b66fadcc2.JPG

The manure piles are precisely located to give the freshest smell to the laundry.

• Haha 6

ebinmaine
2 minutes ago, lynnmor said:

My new neighbor installed the latest and greatest solar and wind powered dryer.  Today, Monday, is wash day.

The manure piles are precisely located to give the freshest smell to the laundry.

Having been born and raised in farm country I think I would rather smell that on my own clothing then most of the foofy stinky sharp scents that are available 😀 

• Excellent 1

Ed Kennell

Same here Lynn.   With 62F temps and bright sun. the dryer is in super dry mode.

997621971_100_0005-Copy.JPG.7790383453ff809c68730f459e5b2953.JPG

Cloudy and raining is the rinse mode.

Cold and freezing is the stiff starch mode.

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

Tractorhead

... and if the line is ripped up, they be in dirty mode..😎

• Haha 4

Ed Kennell

Hauled in some heating fuel.

978670648_100_0006-Copy.JPG.139fe74fd708fe0ca8981884a49cd36f.JPG

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Brockport Bill
2 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Hauled in some heating fuel.

978670648_100_0006-Copy.JPG.139fe74fd708fe0ca8981884a49cd36f.JPG

ED - might not need much more firewood????????  -- here in NYS Hudson Valley gonna be 60 wednesday then thereafter 50s and 60s for 10 days -- will be interesting if we get a late March snow storm or not?

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
3 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

ED - might not need much more firewood?

I hear that,  65F here today.      I'm letting my wood burner cool down now for a flue cleaning.    This wood will dry for a couple years before it is burned.

• Like 1

Tractorhead
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

I hear that,  65F here today.      I'm letting my wood burner cool down now for a flue cleaning.    This wood will dry for a couple years before it is burned.

Better to have than to need - right?

• Like 2

Brockport Bill
17 minutes ago, Tractorhead said:

Better to have than to need - right?

absolutely -- a good rule to live by

• Like 3

squonk
3 hours ago, lynnmor said:

Ya Monday is Wash day! I always remember driving around delivering parts on Monday and see 3 pairs of Carl Burkholder's overalls flying on the clothes line. The National Flag of Fayette!