Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Mickwhitt

As far as I can find it is legal to fit spikes, glass, razor wire etc to fences or walls. There is a height limit for boundaries facing public spaces so that members of the public can't hurt themselves as they walk past.

If a trespassing thief tries to sue me for injury he will have a fight on his hands. Id relish the chance to argue in court as to why he thought climbing over my fence into my home at 2 am was acceptable.

They really are meant as a deterrent,  not to injure. But even a deterrent has to have real teeth, imagine if all our nuclear weapons were just plastic imitations. So my spikes have real bite.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

You'll know better than I, Mick. :handgestures-thumbup:

• Like 2

Wheel Horse 3D

We have storage units broken into all the time, cut fences, unscrewed metal sheeting, the latest is the old, "rent a unit, and then bust through all the interior walls" trick. Law enforcement never seems to come up with anything, only deterent ive so far found to work was a warning on a local fb page and a few nights sleeping on the roof!(with my favorite butterknife).

No incidents for months! ...

Edited by Wheel Horse 3D
  • Like 2

bc.gold

Road trip to purchase a Milwaukee M18 high torque 1/2 inch impact and the M18 sawzall then took another route home and made a visit to my favorite scrap yard to try out my new saw.

Unfortunately the new battery's do not come fully charged but did manage to cut off a few pounds of silver soldered copper elbows before Danny the owner showed up.

He showed me a car that had two pre-cats and two cats laying on its side so I whacked these off for him, then stole a 2HP repulsion induction motor.

Last week I had borrowed the Milwaukee impact from the farm to remove the bumper from my truck to allow access to install a class 3 trailer hitch and was very impressed with the impact and today's use of the sawsall proved its worth.

For a 2hp motor this thing is huge and heavy.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 3

Wheel Horse 3D

"What are we doin tonight, Brain??"

"Why...the same thing we do every night, Pinky!"

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1

formariz
5 hours ago, bc.gold said:

For a 2hp motor this thing is huge and heavy.

Those things are unstoppable. Nothing like a 2hp motor built today. Like the old Unisaws that had a similar 1Hp motor bullet shaped. They weigh about 50Lbs and did not matter what and how hard you fed it into the blade. They would not even slow down.

• Like 2

Tractorhead
14 hours ago, Stormin said:

You make sure that's legal, Mick. If memory serves the practice of cementing broke glass on wall tops, laid you open to prosecution/being sued if some one injured themselves on it. You know how things are these days. If someone breaks in and your dog bites them, you can get done for having a dangerous dog.

Personally I like the electric fence idea. :handgestures-thumbup:

Some law‘s have to be checked for their senses again i.m.h.o.

Personally i see no senseful reason, why a burglar or a thief should be protected,

there is no reasonable reason for anyone to break into someone else's property.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Heart 2

8ntruck

Finally got a stereo set up in the garage.  Now have tunes while I work.  I did have to make a dipole antenna to get something other than static on the receiver.  

Also strung some wire and got another outlet mounted on the ceiling for a led shop light.  Much better lighting now.  Added bonus - the new light even shines through the garage door windows when the door is in the open position.  Yup, absolutely I planned the position of the light with that in mind.  That's my story, and i'm sticking to it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
21 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I did have to make a dipole antenna to get something other than static on the receiver.  

Does reception improve when you shut off the LED lights?  The ones I installed are horrendous RFI producers if the antenna is too close to them.

They can also play hell with garage door opener receivers.  Hint: don't replace the bulbs in your GDO with LED unless you use the ones that are 'rated' for that.  Some LED bulbs are in fact RFI 'quiet' and the GDO manufacturers test them for that.

• Like 1

Jeff-C175

I 'supervised' today!  Finally, after 35 years I won't have to worry about those damn rocks in the snow thrower!

image.png.60acbac2dd13906f6d09d16dab0d459a.png

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2

lynnmor
15 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Does reception improve when you shut off the LED lights?  The ones I installed are horrendous RFI producers if the antenna is too close to them.

RVs have a real problem with LEDs blowing away over the air TV.  Many think that paying more is always the best, but the real cheap bulbs have no voltage regulator that is the source of the problem.  The unregulated bulbs may not last as long but they are cheap and keeping spares is a no brainer.

bc.gold

I bought a car.

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, lynnmor said:

that is the source of the problem

I believe the problem is more that the manufacturers pay no attention to the fact that they need to provide FILTERING and apply proper design practice.  I doubt it has anything to do with a 'voltage regulator'.

Those bulbs all have tiny little 'switch mode power supplies' in them, and SMPS are NOTORIOUS for producing RFI if not carefully designed.  

By the way, don't be at all surprised when your "Battery Tender" charger does the same thing!  Cheap ones are worse but even the name brand ones cause issues.

The manufacturers just don't care.

Edited by Jeff-C175

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, bc.gold said:

I bought a car.

C'mon man!  You're not bringing that home are you?  You pulled that out of your back 40 and hauling it to the recycler, ain't cha?

73 OM!

bc.gold

The farm has his small home made shear that they want gone as it's taking up floor space inside the shop, 220 single phase hydraulic. Sent Danny pictures, I know he wants a larger one but this small one would have a use.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bc.gold
  • Like 1
  • Excellent 1

bc.gold
41 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

C'mon man!  You're not bringing that home are you?  You pulled that out of your back 40 and hauling it to the recycler, ain't cha?

73 OM!

As soon as you mention you want to buy the caylitic converter the price go out of reach, I bought the whole  car for $40.00 bucks and dragged her over to the farm adding it to their bone yard.

Cut the cat off and left the rest.

Four flats, steering locked in a curb parking position and no driver, the small car had no choice but to follow. In total it was about a 3 mile haul all gravel.

Edited by bc.gold
  • Haha 3

bc.gold

This GMC was also resident on the same property.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Edited by bc.gold
  • Like 3

8ntruck

@Jeff-C175 I'm far enough away from a fm station that whatever built in antenna that receiver has isn't good enough.  Lights on or off, all I was getting was static.

• Sad 2

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

did have to make a dipole antenna to get something other than static on the receiver.  

2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I have the same problem in my shop !... Turn lights out...radio crystal clear !...

What's the remedy ?

Horse Newbie
2 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Finally, after 35 years I won't have to worry about those damn rocks in the snow thrower!

image.png.60acbac2dd13906f6d09d16dab0d459a.png

I'm gonna have a concrete drive poured this year...don't use a snow blower, but those damn rocks hurt my corns !

8ntruck
16 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I have the same problem in my shop !... Turn lights out...radio crystal clear !...

What's the remedy ?

Try moving the antenna or the receiver.

• Like 1

Horse Newbie
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I believe the problem is more that the manufacturers pay no attention to the fact that they need to provide FILTERING and apply proper design practice.  I doubt it has anything to do with a 'voltage regulator'.

Those bulbs all have tiny little 'switch mode power supplies' in them, and SMPS are NOTORIOUS for producing RFI if not carefully designed.  

The manufacturers just don't care.

But FCC Regulations say they can't interfere like that...

• Haha 2

Horse Newbie
2 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Try moving the antenna or the receiver.

I've moved it everywhere but the neighbors yard...:lol:

Jeff-C175
3 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

But FCC Regulations say they can't interfere like that...

FCC is a lame duck.

• Haha 2

8ntruck
11 minutes ago, Horse Newbie said:

I've moved it everywhere but the neighbors yard...:lol:

Outside antenna maybe?  I'm guessing here.  I'm a retired mechanical engineer, not a sparkly.

• Like 1