Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

meadowfield
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

I bet you could pull some artifacts out of that land with a good metal detector too!  Ever try?

I haven't - keep thinking it...  we have Saxon and iron age settlements all around and some roman roads too. In the 1500's the Abbeys owned much of the land and built some fabulous houses.

image.png.cfa9a4c6f988abbb17e8523b4ef7e057.png

This is one of my neighbours!

Knowing my luck all I'd ever find is plow shares, old chain and bits of sickle bar!!!!

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
4 hours ago, meadowfield said:

Knowing my luck all I'd ever find is plow shares, old chain and bits of sickle bar!!!!

Even that is fun!  (at least for me).  On my property here in NJ I've found blacksmith made axe heads and other things... door hinges, etc.  AND a Revolutionary War British 9 lb Broad Arrow Cannon ball.  Identified by the local historical society. And numerous silver coins from the 20s to the 60s.  I also found what I believe to be a King George II copper cent but it's so worn that my identification is dubious.  I DO know that this property was owned by Colonel Morris during colonial times so it's at least plausible.

But YOU might be luckier than you think!  How about that HUGE hoard of gold that one of your neighbors in the UK unearthed in his field?  MILLIONS!  GO FOR IT!

I would even consider dredging in that brook.  Anywhere that might have been a 'crossing' in particular back in the olden days.

Is that a fork lift at your neighbor's front door?  That is a beautiful structure!  Dig those windows, eh?

"Ding Dong! Avon Calling!"

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Haha 1

meadowfield
3 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

Even that is fun!  (at least for me).  On my property here in NJ I've found blacksmith made axe heads and other things... door hinges, etc.  AND a Revolutionary War British 9 lb Broad Arrow Cannon ball.  Identified by the local historical society. And numerous silver coins from the 20s to the 60s.  I also found what I believe to be a King George II copper cent but it's so worn that my identification is dubious.  I DO know that this property was owned by Colonel Morris during colonial times so it's at least plausible.

But YOU might be luckier than you think!  How about that HUGE hoard of gold that one of your neighbors in the UK unearthed in his field?  MILLIONS!  GO FOR IT!

Is that a fork lift at your neighbor's front door?  That is a beautiful structure!  Dig those windows, eh?

"Ding Dong! Avon Calling!"

it was a high lift skip or scissor lift if I recall - the ceilings are very high - the building is 500 years old

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

the building is 500 years old

That's the biggest difference between here and there.  500 years in the UK is relatively modern, here, it's unheard of!

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
4 minutes ago, meadowfield said:

high lift skip or scissor lift

And at least it's RED!  :)

meadowfield
1 minute ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's the biggest difference between here and there.  500 years in the UK is relatively modern, here, it's unheard of!

we've a bit more history here - and the british isles have got buildings and ruins that are over a thousand years old. 

• Like 1

Handy Don
3 hours ago, meadowfield said:

we've a bit more history here - and the british isles have got buildings and ruins that are over a thousand years old. 

There is history on this side of the pond, but diminished in importance when viewed through a euro-centric lens.

ohiofarmer
On 1/31/2021 at 8:52 PM, ebinmaine said:

Asphalt?

Maybe skinny tires and some extra weight?

Not really a big problem with weight for now my biggest problem is the wide stance of the 520 has the snow blade hitting the tires. As a result of that, the blade will not lock on the angle settings. i took off a "flat " tire and saw right away that no other front wheel I have on the other tractors fits the beefy bearings . Automotive quality almost.. The solution would be to make an extension for the snow blade at the rear and replace the lift linkage for proper adjustment.

i had no idea how impressive that swept axle is on the 520. it does steer like it has power steering....The 420 cc predator has plenty of power for the transmission..   The ATV tires are fine for pushing so far and i can always add chains. A cold wind came out of the North with some more snow last night and I got a better idea of the pushing ability of the unit. I just cut the drifts down and dragged them backwards to fill in over the frozen slush. Not that difficult really

In further adventures, the leaking front tire was not leaking at all. The valve stem was a little loose and the stem cap was pressing the air letter inner/ outer  SSSSSSSSSSSSSt thingy. The tube is in the house all cleaned up from soap testing..   

• Like 3

ebinmaine
10 hours ago, ohiofarmer said:

the air letter inner/ outer  SSSSSSSSSSSSSt thingy

I appreciate you not getting all technical on that....

:ROTF:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Pullstart

Like @Jeff-C175, my shop projects seem to always have just one more twist.

I gave the “Cadillac” a good hefty pressure wash this morning.  Not quite above freezing yet, but I managed to clean out the snow and ice buildup, a bunch of rust and prepped it for a return to the shop.  I ordered fuel lines to replace the leaking ones, but just Sunday the brand new HEAVY DUTY sun shell that I just popped in the transmission let go again.  I have forward low gear, but while in reverse there was a big bang and then nothing.  Tell tale sign it needs to come back apart again.  The transmission supplier will warrant the broken part, but not the fluid or my time and materials to do the job again.  Grrrrr.

Now, a transmission tear down (again) and all new fuel lines are in order.

B2DCA805-BBBE-4837-A85D-B8B43DD47E62.jpeg

• Sad 2

Mickwhitt

A day of slushy snow here, it started around 2am local time and continued till about 8am, dumping about 4 inches of snow.

Its now really foggy and the temperature is set to rise a little so we may have a thaw overnight.

Went for a walk and found a set of 8 foot high ten foot wide steel gates have been stolen from an access way into private land. They have been there 30 years plus.ooks like our traveller friends with magnetic fingers.

Do you have gypsies over in the US? You can have some of ours if not lol. 

• Sad 3

Stormin

Had some snow here this morning, Mick. Lasted about 2hrs. :D

Pullstart
24 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

A day of slushy snow here, it started around 2am local time and continued till about 8am, dumping about 4 inches of snow.

Its now really foggy and the temperature is set to rise a little so we may have a thaw overnight.

Went for a walk and found a set of 8 foot high ten foot wide steel gates have been stolen from an access way into private land. They have been there 30 years plus.ooks like our traveller friends with magnetic fingers.

Do you have gypsies over in the US? You can have some of ours if not lol. 

There’s been an odd slew of break ins and theft here lately too.  Luckily there are local groups on some of the social media accesses that Mrs. P uses and people chat about suspicious vehicles and characters and put an end to it before it gets too far out of hand.  Some nerve those people have... or nothing to lose.

• Sad 1

Handy Don
10 minutes ago, pullstart said:

Some nerve those people have... or nothing to lose.

Both.

Different value system and, often, very different social and economic situations.

IMHO, not unlike the gulf between the "50 percenters" and the "1 or 2 percenters". It is very hard to think outside your own realm.

Gentrification means our village of mostly "middle- and working-class" folk now includes families of great wealth. That effect of that difference, too, can be stark and hard to grasp.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
15 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Both.

Different value system and, often, very different social and economic situations.

IMHO, not unlike the gulf between the "50 percenters" and the "1 or 2 percenters". It is very hard to think outside your own realm.

Gentrification means our village of mostly "middle- and working-class" folk now includes families of great wealth. That effect of that difference, too, can be stark and hard to grasp.

Well said...

@Mickwhitt send 'em to BBT's education center over here. We'll have some fun........... 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Jeff-C175
2 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Do you have gypsies over in the US?

We call them 'copper thieves', they call themselves 'recyclers'.  They'll steal any and all copper they can find, even in new construction.

• Sad 1

Handy Don
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

We call them 'copper thieves', they call themselves 'recyclers'.  They'll steal any and all copper they can find, even in new construction.

New York State put a bit of a damper on this a few years ago. Now when you bring copper or aluminum to a recycler they take your picture and scan your ID as well as photograph the material you are bringing in. Records go to state and get audited. Recycler knows that if they get caught accepting stolen stuff there are stiff fines and possible criminal charges.  Very quickly cut down on scavengers. A bit of big brother for the legitimate folks, yes, but the losses at construction sites and plumbing supply houses were getting out of hand. There were even incidents of folks who came home from vacation to find their aluminum siding gone!

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Jeff-C175
2 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

aluminum siding gone!

Good thing Vinyl is not desirable!

• Haha 2

Pullstart
5 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

New York State put a bit of a damper on this a few years ago. Now when you bring copper or aluminum to a recycler they take your picture and scan your ID as well as photograph the material you are bringing in. Records go to state and get audited. Recycler knows that if they get caught accepting stolen stuff there are stiff fines and possible criminal charges.  Very quickly cut down on scavengers. A bit of big brother for the legitimate folks, yes, but the losses at construction sites and plumbing supply houses were getting out of hand. There were even incidents of folks who came home from vacation to find their aluminum siding gone!

copper and catalytic converters here you get a check in the mail from the scrap yard too.  There’s a day of processing to do checks.  I don’t mind, I’ve had truck parts and I beams stolen before and there was nothing I could do about it. 

Ed Kennell
3 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

Do you have gypsies over in the US?

They seem to be slowly  disappearing  in the country.   Could be due to the ammunition shortage.Image result for Ammunition shortage sign. Size: 202 x 160. Source: www.etsy.com

They are appearing in the big cities.

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 3
  • Heart 1

WHNJ701
1 hour ago, Jeff-C175 said:

A few years back a dude broke into an abandoned mill  near us to steal copper, cut through a live main feed with bolt cutters, his arms were still attached to bolt cutters, his body was on the other side of the room, his head blew clean off and they said heat melted his brain.  Nice way to go for stealing a few bucks worth of scrap metal

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:
7 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Image result for Ammunition shortage sign. Size: 202 x 160. Source: www.etsy.com

It's one thing to take when one is not around.. but if I'm here...

I have a few items that throw small amounts of metal quickly. 

A few other assorted interesting items. 

Me. 

BBT. 

Pupster. 

Acreage. 

A sense of actual old school justice. 

Bring it..

:occasion-snowman:

• Like 2

Jeff-C175
7 hours ago, jabelman said:

dude

I didn't really want to like this but there is no "serves him right" icon!

Mickwhitt

We've had a few idiots get killed cutting live cables. Lots of power failures and other problems when wiring is ripped out.

Our scrap yards are supposed to pay by cheque but one in our area issues his own cheque at one window and you go cash it at the next! 

Scrap dealers are basically as bent as a nine bob note and happy to take in anything that will sell on. 

The scrap collectors/thieves rude round in vans all day picking up items that folk leave outside their gate rather than take to the recycling centre a few miles away.

Thats fine but they are also on the lookout for anything else they can steal.

Also if the pick up a fridge, they strip out the compressor and dump the cabinet at the roadside.

So it still needs cleaning up.

Its also extended beyond metal items, some houses put out furniture etc to see if anyone will take it. Roadside looks like a yard sale, which is something we do not do over here, just throw stuff away.

Stormin

Scrapyard I use is strict. You need ID, Vehicle registration noted and you are paid by cheque.

9 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

something we do not do over here, just throw stuff away.

Yet to meet a Yorkshireman who does. :rolleyes: