Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

ebinmaine
Just now, Stormin said:

Just turn to mud, Eric.

I do enjoy the felling and logging. Though it takes it out on me these days. Not as young as I was. :(

Éhhh... Me too. 

But it's all good...

• Like 1

Ed Kennell
2 hours ago, Stormin said:

I do enjoy the felling and logging. Though it takes it out on me these days. Not as young as I was. :(

Please be careful.    Some trees seem to have a mind of their own when attacked with a chain saw.

I retired my chain saw this year.    After cutting and burning wood for 55 years, I probably used up my "Nine Lives".

Plus after taking blood thinners for 20 years, a small nick requires major  first aid.

I have enough wood stacked to heat my house for three more years, so that will take me to the age level 8.

Then I will use oil.  I hope it stays at the current price of  $1.90/gallon.

• Like 5

tom2p
6 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Then I will use oil.  I hope it stays at the current price of  $1.90/gallon.

my guess is oil prices will rise - and possibly significantly 

there is a chance improved relations with Iran could add to the supply - but even if that takes place I still believe prices will rise 

• Sad 1

Stormin
8 hours ago, Ed Kennell said:

Please be careful.    Some trees seem to have a mind of their own when attacked with a chain saw.

Thanks for the concern, Ed. The first thing I do before starting is make sure I have a good , clear escape route.  :handgestures-thumbup:

• Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

Thanks for the concern, Ed. The first thing I do before starting is make sure I have a good , clear escape route.  :handgestures-thumbup:

Us too. 

I always clear about 4 to 6 feet around any tree before felling. 

360 degree route. 

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse

Cleaned up my "winter shop" a bit today.

Also remember it's not the size of the shop it's how you use it that matters! :handgestures-thumbupright:

20210111_171312.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
5 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Cleaned up my "winter shop" a bit today.

Also remember it's not the size of the shop it's how you use it that matters! :handgestures-thumbupright:

20210111_171312.jpg

Yeah that's what they all say!

You been putting the penetrating oil to that transmission?

• Like 1

OldWorkHorse
11 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Yeah that's what they all say!

You been putting the penetrating oil to that transmission?

Yeah the slop bucket is almost full. Not sure of what I put diesel in it what came out.... eh :unsure:... but the inside looks much nicer I can see gears not mud. And my new boot came in haha. But also think shes leaking at the seam... shell be some work. 

• Like 2

ebinmaine
6 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

Yeah the slop bucket is almost full. Not sure of what I put diesel in it what came out.... eh :unsure:... but the inside looks much nicer I can see gears not mud. And my new boot came in haha. But also think shes leaking at the seam... shell be some work. 

No worries man. 

All in good fun. 

• Like 1

Pullstart

I laid down some tile yesterday.  I got more accomplished than the picture shows, but I’m not finished.  Little did I realize, I cut and lay 12 pieces, then 6 full tiles, then cut 12 more.  It doesn’t go quick!

8F0897AA-76AE-436D-9578-B87E8F54F76F.jpeg

• Like 2

tom2p

and then there is the grouting 

ughhh

• Haha 1

Pullstart
18 minutes ago, tom2p said:

and then there is the grouting 

ughhh

It’s paying well at least...

Stormin

There was a thaw overnight Sunday. The ground in the field had turned rather soggy. Stand still and you started to sink. We did get another load out, but using the chainsaw was a bit risky when your feet got stuck in mud.

Forecast is for more cold weather on the way. If the ground freezes again I'll go back. Otherwise I'll wait for the ground to dry out a bit. Not desperate for logs anyway. Nice lad brought me a load today. Keep me amused splitting them.

Something that happened yesterday when I got in the field,  the Sears lost it's steering. The connecting rod from bottom of steering column to the front came adrift at the back. The joint had parted company with it's socket. Lying in a soggy field trying to tie it up with cable ties was not much fun. I did walk home for a tarp and ties.

Today I took it off and  centre punched the edge of the socket with the joint in place. Refitted it the other way round, so the dodgy joint is now pointing down. I'll get a couple of hemi ball joints and modify the rod one day.

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Stormin said:

Keep me amused splitting them.

I like the way you put that Norm.

My 5-year-old minds eye has you dancing half a jig whilst spinning around a big old hunk of firewood... axe swinging every possible direction. Smiling ear to ear of course. 

• Haha 2

Stormin
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

My 5-year-old minds eye has you dancing half a jig whilst spinning around a big old hunk of firewood... axe swinging every possible direction. Smiling ear to ear of course. 

No chance. Axe swinging is out now. Got a splitter. Today is a dead one. Icy rain on ice and cold. Custodian of the stove duty. :)

• Like 2

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

No chance. Axe swinging is out now. Got a splitter. Today is a dead one. Icy rain on ice and cold. Custodian of the stove duty. :)

I go out and whip an axe at some firewood every once in a great while just to remind myself how much less work it is to use the splitter. 

Stove custodian duty. Nothing wrong with that!

• Thanks 1

Ed Kennell
5 hours ago, Stormin said:

Lying in a soggy field trying to tie it up with cable ties was not much fun

They never come loose in the shop.   

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

ebinmaine
42 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

Or on a dry day in a dry spot

• Like 1

Handy Don
52 minutes ago, Ed Kennell said:

And when they do, you never have the right tool to hand--you have to make a trip to get it or the part or both.

• Like 2

Stormin

And you can't tell it what you think of it cos the other half is there.:rolleyes:

Edited by Stormin
  • Haha 1

Pullstart

Received notice of my 2 gallons donated with the same blood company today.  Yesterday I did my humble duty and gave a couple hour’s time to potentially save a life.  

• Like 1

Lee1977
12 hours ago, Stormin said:

There was a thaw overnight Sunday. The ground in the field had turned rather soggy. Stand still and you started to sink. We did get another load out, but using the chainsaw was a bit risky when your feet got stuck in mud.

Forecast is for more cold weather on the way. If the ground freezes again I'll go back. Otherwise I'll wait for the ground to dry out a bit. Not desperate for logs anyway. Nice lad brought me a load today. Keep me amused splitting them.

Something that happened yesterday when I got in the field,  the Sears lost it's steering. The connecting rod from bottom of steering column to the front came adrift at the back. The joint had parted company with it's socket. Lying in a soggy field trying to tie it up with cable ties was not much fun. I did walk home for a tarp and ties.

Today I took it off and  centre punched the edge of the socket with the joint in place. Refitted it the other way round, so the dodgy joint is now pointing down. I'll get a couple of hemi ball joints and modify the rod one day.

That is why I changed all mine to heims joints.

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Oh no! Shock horror! One inch of snow has fallen overnight and our county is on its knees!

20210114_085438.jpg.a4391bc259cb76126dbfcabf7bc5dba0.jpgI went to collect a grocery order from our local supermarket at 8 am, about five miles away.

drove there and back no problems, apart from one idiotic van driver who refused to give way as I was coming up hill and forced me to stop. But I got going again and all is well. Sat watching people slide their cars past our house then give up. 

Happens every winter and no one ever learns.

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

ebinmaine
50 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Oh no! Shock horror! One inch of snow has fallen overnight and our county is on its knees!

20210114_085438.jpg.a4391bc259cb76126dbfcabf7bc5dba0.jpgI went to collect a grocery order from our local supermarket at 8 am, about five miles away.

drove there and back no problems, apart from one idiotic van driver who refused to give way as I was coming up hill and forced me to stop. But I got going again and all is well. Sat watching people slide their cars past our house then give up. 

Happens every winter and no one ever learns.

Happens here too and we actually have WINTER.

Over the years I've seen snow fly in 9 out of 12 months at one time or another and every year society forgets how to navigate it.

All in good fun I guess.....

Mickwhitt

Spent the afternoon following my mate John with his little Massey ferguson up and down our hill. Used the sweeper on my two wheeler to clear down to asphalt after he pushed off the top snow with the FEL. Managed to keep one lane open so cars could pass with caution. 

Its just stopping snowing but it might freeze and then it will be deadly. 

Main route about half mile from us is solid traffic and that's a gritted and plowed route. 

Our is just a back wack so won't see any snow clearing till it melts away.

Just my luck to have stripped the engine out if Fred yesterday :eusa-clap:

Mick 

• Like 1