Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

ebinmaine

A lot going on there Norm but it'll be worth it in the end.

• Thanks 1

Stormin
53 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

A lot going on there Norm but it'll be worth it in the end.

Aye! Just need to source some parts and it could well be finished before Colossus. :hide:

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Stormin said:

Aye! Just need to source some parts and it could well be finished before Colossus. :hide:

Well I don't see that getting done before February or March so you've got plenty of time...

:techie-hourglass:

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
Just now, Stormin said:

Colossus...? Colossus...? There's that elusive reference again to some ancient artifact of the bygone era... No pics...no documentation... :confusion-confused:

:ychain:

• Haha 3

ebinmaine
19 minutes ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

ancient artifact of the bygone era...

:ROTF::ROTF::ROTF:

• Like 1

Stormin

Finished cleaning up the SWMs wheels this morning. In the afternoon worked on the C-125s starting problem and hopefully with some success.

• Like 2

Pullstart

Ran and picked up a new toy... for my mother.  There she goes!  2003 Supercharged Sea Doo GTX.

907129B5-70A8-4A58-A860-6CC416C66DCB.jpeg

924C93E6-EA75-47AF-90F2-2B52672EA7C1.jpeg

• Excellent 2

D_Mac

Looks like fun Kevin

Edited by D_Mac

Mickwhitt

My nephew asked me to look at his central heating radiator which was leaking from one of the pipe tails.

Poor work by the previous plumber so a bit of jiggery pokery to insert short sections of copper pipe to replace the bits that were leaking.

No sooner than that was done than the other side started to leak, same poorly made olive join on the compression fitting.

My 28 year old nephew had no idea how the system worked, how it had failed or how to fix it. Never ceases to amaze me how practically inept our current crop of young people are. At his age I'd had my own home for 6 years, rewired it, fitted new kitchen and bathroom, done a concrete based car port and all manner of jobs. With no formal training or interweb. Just a DIY book and a practical approach. 

Its no wonder our DIY stores are struggling over here.

Also serviced the John Deere today and repaired a Yamaha mower that has not run for five years.

Oh and built an MDF pipe cover for my brothers bathroom.  

Twice my nephews age and I can blind him at work ethic too.

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Dan.gerous
5 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

My nephew asked me to look at his central heating radiator which was leaking from one of the pipe tails.

Poor work by the previous plumber so a bit of jiggery pokery to insert short sections of copper pipe to replace the bits that were leaking.

No sooner than that was done than the other side started to leak, same poorly made olive join on the compression fitting.

My 28 year old nephew had no idea how the system worked, how it had failed or how to fix it. Never ceases to amaze me how practically inept our current crop of young people are. At his age I'd had my own home for 6 years, rewired it, fitted new kitchen and bathroom, done a concrete based car port and all manner of jobs. With no formal training or interweb. Just a DIY book and a practical approach. 

Its no wonder our DIY stores are struggling over here.

Also serviced the John Deere today and repaired a Yamaha mower that has not run for five years.

Oh and built an MDF pipe cover for my brothers bathroom.  

Twice my nephews age and I can blind him at work ethic too.

Yeah it's scary how useless we are becoming. I have taught all three of my daughter's to be hands on with tools as told them any future husband are bound to be a waste of time in that department.

Designed and built our first family home by the time I was 28. Just quit my job at sea, turned up on an empty plot with a three month old baby, a bag of tools and several containers of wood. Had no idea, but we made a beautiful house for a fraction of the price it would have cost if a builder had done it. Only took six months, and that was while looking after a baby as my wife kept on working - I had a baby monitor on my tool pouch and used to just climb down from the scaffolding to feed her as required.

Great fun, and you don't need to be trained - just don't be afraid of anything 😊

Photos are of an exact scale model I built years later when bored - Shame I don't have any of the house or the model with the roof on.

FB_IMG_1599256601490.jpg

FB_IMG_1599256595082.jpg

FB_IMG_1599256829077.jpg

• Excellent 6
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine
6 hours ago, Mickwhitt said:

jiggery pokery

This here one o' them British technical terms??

• Like 2

Stormin
7 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

This here one o' them British technical terms??

Aye! Tha's reet thear, Lad.  Fiddly, awkward to do. :thumbs:

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Crikey Dan!  I couldn't build the model never mind the house.

You are so right about not being scared to try things. My brother will not venture up a step ladder as he is afraid of heights, is scared of electrickery, won't do plumbing because of the potential for water damage and generally gets out of most things by saying it doesn't need doing.

We have lots of weird sayings and phrases over here, I live about 15 miles from Sheffield and need an interpreter if I venture to the city lol. I've got a lovely book of old trade words from the Sheffield knife industry which have mostly died out now. Things like Mousing, taking the Cuckoo and Biting on.

I'll let you guess the meaning of those. 

Mick

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Dan.gerous
7 minutes ago, Mickwhitt said:

Crikey Dan!  I couldn't build the model never mind the house.

You are so right about not being scared to try things. My brother will not venture up a step ladder as he is afraid of heights, is scared of electrickery, won't do plumbing because of the potential for water damage and generally gets out of most things by saying it doesn't need doing.

We have lots of weird sayings and phrases over here, I live about 15 miles from Sheffield and need an interpreter if I venture to the city lol. I've got a lovely book of old trade words from the Sheffield knife industry which have mostly died out now. Things like Mousing, taking the Cuckoo and Biting on.

I'll let you guess the meaning of those. 

Mick

The house was quite tricky, it had a complicated roof with a covered in verandah - sort of colonial style. Anyway, made a few mistakes here and there while learning, but the funniest part was when I built the model about ten years later I made the same mistakes! It's an exact replica down to every frame - I did it as we had our own company at the time and I was always on computers and just needed to escape every now and then and use my hands.

It was fun cutting the bricks out of a sheet of mdf, they just flew all around the garage as the saw threw them about. Must have cut about 2000 of them. We documented the whole build and used Playmobil figures of each of us to stage scenes. Playmobil Kevin McCloud even visited the build with his film crew (last picture)

FB_IMG_1599291918466.jpg

FB_IMG_1599291962876.jpg

FB_IMG_1599292143178.jpg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Mickwhitt

Thats fantastic!  A grand design indeed. I love the mini bricks, quite a way to go about building a model.

Mick 

• Like 1

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Dan.gerous said:

The house was quite tricky, it had a complicated roof with a covered in verandah - sort of colonial style. Anyway, made a few mistakes here and there while learning, but the funniest part was when I built the model about ten years later I made the same mistakes! It's an exact replica down to every frame - I did it as we had our own company at the time and I was always on computers and just needed to escape every now and then and use my hands.

It was fun cutting the bricks out of a sheet of mdf, they just flew all around the garage as the saw threw them about. Must have cut about 2000 of them. We documented the whole build and used Playmobil figures of each of us to stage scenes. Playmobil Kevin McCloud even visited the build with his film crew (last picture)

FB_IMG_1599291918466.jpg

FB_IMG_1599291962876.jpg

FB_IMG_1599292143178.jpg

Orange hardhat guy is you?

Dan.gerous
2 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

Orange hardhat guy is you?

Yep! That's my wife next to me - the kids are out of shot.

Have included one with all of us at work, and the last one shows the power of team work.

FB_IMG_1599301578499.jpg

FB_IMG_1599301587882.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

ebinmaine

Found the hat interesting because my own is orange. 

My favorite color. 

I choose such a bright color because no other company or group has that as a standard and I want the identity of the crane operator (me) to have no question. 

• Like 2

Mickwhitt

Wow!  The playmobil kids even have flip flops on, such attention to detail.....

• Haha 4

Dan.gerous
1 hour ago, Mickwhitt said:

Wow!  The playmobil kids even have flip flops on, such attention to detail.....

We were living in Australia at the time!

• Like 1

Mickwhitt

Standard working safety footwear according the Pullstart lol.

And Australia they are everyday wear and evening wear in told lol

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 2

Stormin
5 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My favorite color. 

I choose such a bright color because no other company or group has that as a standard and I want the identity of the crane operator (me) to have no question. 

But do you wear it the right way round, unlike Playmobile Dan?

Went out to pay a bill and get some milk at 9am. Then nipped up to the farm for a quick visit. Got home at 12pm. Got asked if I'd been milking a cow for the milk. Cheek! :rolleyes:

Afternoon spent polishing the SWMs alloy wheel rims and listing parts required.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

ebinmaine
1 hour ago, Stormin said:

wear it the right way round

I do. Although mine is a full brim so it's hard to tell. 

• Like 1

Dan.gerous
6 hours ago, ebinmaine said:

My favorite color. 

I wonder if they call you "mandarin man" behind your back?

I suppose they could also tell that you are the crane driver because you are sitting in a huge crane.....🙄

• Haha 1

ebinmaine
1 minute ago, Dan.gerous said:

I wonder if they call you "mandarin man" behind your back?

I suppose they could also tell that you are the crane driver because you are sitting in a huge crane.....🙄

They can call me whatever they want!!

:lol:

I don't sit in the crane. It's a folding knuckle crane with a remote control.