Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

Handy Don
17 minutes ago, Pullstart said:

0E7CC158-D9AE-4EF6-BB37-BD1E9E4E874A.jpeg.65f2f37042104a672ad690115c0fe69d.jpeg

I wouldn’t let myself be connected to a vehicle with so much mechanical/structural risk. “Turd” is too kind, this is a crash on wheels and highlights the weakness of the vehicle inspection regime in Michigan.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell
6 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

vehicle inspection regime in Michigan.

No inspection required unless it is a remanufactured salvage vehicle.

• Like 2

Handy Don
1 minute ago, Ed Kennell said:

No inspection required unless it is a remanufactured salvage vehicle.

Yeah, I know. Had family in MI that gloated at not needing them.

I get that inspections can be a job-generating racket, but having stuff like that on the road (rotting steel brake lines, anyone?) is just not safe for anyone.

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart
46 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

I wouldn’t let myself be connected to a vehicle with so much mechanical/structural risk. “Turd” is too kind, this is a crash on wheels and highlights the weakness of the vehicle inspection regime in Michigan.

Don, I’m sure rocker panels have quite a bit to do with the integrity of a unibody vehicle per design.  Being the motor vehicle capital state, you’d think someone could change the way we prepare our roads for winter, or the way the vehicles tend to capture so much grime.  I am sure the owners over time have let them go, but rust is all to common here.  It’s sad indeed.

• Like 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, Pullstart said:

Being the motor vehicle capital state, you’d think someone could change the way we prepare our roads for winter

The makers of those motor vehicles are very influential in MI. Take from that what you will...

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Michigan had tail pipe emission tests for a while and frankly it was a joke. They exempted the older vehicles that are the problem (no emissions control) and required costly inspection and follow up maintenance on new / newer cars that were way cleaner and safer... If the big three had such sway i would suggest that they would have pushed for no exemptions and that would have A) gotten  the old crap off the road fast and B ) sold a lot more new cars. 

The flip side is Michigan has the highest truck weight allowances in the country. That is absolutely there to help the big three... and our roads show it...

formariz
5 hours ago, Handy Don said:

wouldn’t let myself be connected to a vehicle with so much mechanical/structural risk

You just have no spirit of adventure Don. There is a lot of fun is driving something like that. :D:hide:

• Haha 3
  • Heart 1

Handy Don
2 hours ago, formariz said:

You just have no spirit of adventure Don. There is a lot of fun is driving something like that. :D:hide:

I used plywood to replace the rotted out, watch-the-road-going-by floor in my ’66 Beetle (hey, I was young and completely ignorant of unibody construction). At the next NYS inspection the mechanic (a friend) made it clear I had been driving an unrepairable deathtrap and refused to pass it.

Upshot was that I bought a used Rabbit (good commuter car) and sold the Bug to the nearby technical high school where the students stripped it to build a formula V racer that they campaigned successfully!

• Like 1

ohiofarmer

I think I found a carb rebuilder shop for my old chain saws. I have a dayton/Grainger/Ppoulan  four cubic inch , a German Stihl 020, another small Poulan Also a nice Echo straight shaft that I bought new. so we are looking at new diaphrams and gaskets .  This guy includes more parts than the average shop amd they have been in business for thirty years

Two tillotsons, one Walbro, and the trimmer has t.he factory one ---a Zama made in Hong kong.   I figure for the same price as Chinese, the seals he sells will last a lot longer.than brand new China .  Plus I can keep a guy my age in business in the way yooper part of Michigan,

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Trina and I along with our best friend went for a walk/hike/spikes/snowshoeing  this afternoon. 

Out the front door and off to the mountain across the street.  

When we left the house the temp was 38⁰  

At the top of the mountain it was well below freezing.  

Base snow depth at the bottom was about ankle deep. 

The top however.. over 20" in some spots. VERY impressive difference  considering it really isn't THAT big a hill. 

She and I started taking a different supplement a week or so ago. 

UMARY. 

It's been going... surprisingly good.  

My joint pain is waaaaay down.  

Hopefully I stay on this path.  

We'll be working on getting my breathing back and endurance up to somewhere near what it once was. 

Here's a few pics from today.  

IMG_20240127_173153.jpg

IMG_20240127_173148.jpg

IMG_20240127_173142.jpg

IMG_20240127_173139.jpg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 1

ohiofarmer

Here's a side view of a Stihl TS 400 and it has a problem.. It's a fourteen inch Cut quick saw and they sell for a thousand in used condition. You can see the gap where the handle now mounts up .

I did get it married together with an F clamp and the threaded bolts actually thread in through the broken section. After I apply some epoxy and place lube on the bolt threads, a plate will be fabricated to keep it together. 

IMG_20240129_144059.jpg

IMG_20240129_143939.jpg

IMG_20240129_182653.jpg

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

Reddart

2007, bought a slightly used but nice profile Squier telecaster neck from a friend, and then bought a new pine body and parts to finish it. 

2017, got around to sand and seal the body, color coat, level/recrown/polish the frets on the neck. 

Last month, shot the clear coat, last week wet sanded and polished the finish, and put everything together. 

Today is my first Tele Tuesday. 

IMG_0089.jpeg

IMG_0113.jpeg

IMG_9683.jpeg

IMG_9688.jpeg

IMG_8261.jpeg

IMG_8279.jpeg

IMG_8315.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5
  • Heart 1

Ed Kennell

Spent a 20 at the auction today.

1890 catchers mask for my sons collection.  A 10" cast iron skillet.  Around 30 trout spinners and a couple fair wooden plugs.

104_2866.JPG.f4d93d5775f91e5d6696d02c0ab93f5d.JPG104_2867.JPG.f290b5f7119283b898fd67be943dcbdf.JPG

• Like 5

JPWH

I decided to run water to my shop so while the new service is being installed I'll throw the water pipe in the same ditch. Still have another 70' of ditch to dig before I can finish the water line and pressure test it before back filling.

KIMG0752.JPG.fcb00ff9fcced23f2103e292aac352a7.JPG

• Like 7
  • Excellent 2

JCM

@Reddart  When you get a minute check out under Non tractor related a thread I started under Musical Instruments .  :thumbs: Nice Fenders and amps.

• Like 1

PWL216

Business trip, via train, Boston to NYC. Had a lunch meeting at the old Union Oyster Bar at Grand Central Station. The place is a step back in time. I absolutely love old train stations where they actually have real architecture and were ‘the’ buildings of their day. The family gets a kick out of how much I admire the old stations. Hey, I like what I like ;)

B0CEFFD7-151E-4B98-9071-094C030DD4C4.jpeg

A90359B4-F87C-4B56-9B37-BEA44AC1EDA2.jpeg

Edited by PWL216
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Heart 3

ebinmaine
24 minutes ago, PWL216 said:

The family gets a kick out of how much I admire the old..... stuff 

Ain't Nuttin wrong with that.    

• Like 1

Handy Don
1 hour ago, PWL216 said:

Grand Central Station.

Glad you enjoyed it!

For decades I got to walk through the main hall of this marvelous building to and from work via the commuter railroad it serves as Grand Central Terminal. I’ve seen it in so many different lights and times of day both with huge crowds and practically alone. It is among my favorite buildings in the world. LOTS of great stories and history there.

That “crossing” you pictured right outside the Oyster Bar is famous as a “whispering gallery.” Someone whispering against the wall in one corner can be heard clearly by a listener in the opposite corner but no one else.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

ebinmaine

Spatchcock chicken on the BBQ tonight!!

IMG_20240202_181736.jpg.944cd1dd6d6d28ddd67618a630437cb4.jpg

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Cleaned and organized the new plugs and spinners from Weds auction.

104_2883.JPG.6ff34059ee5e8cf61bbcfc7212ccd902.JPG104_2884.JPG.bc4195d8ef0b46cff9599709c7b0d885.JPG104_2885.JPG.6e865d6ff6c830c0c110cfab1cf755d4.JPG

• Like 5
  • Excellent 2

19richie66

Playing around with different designs. 

IMG_4146.jpeg

IMG_4112.jpeg

• Like 6
  • Excellent 3

Pullstart
On 1/9/2023 at 7:29 AM, Pullstart said:

My wife’s Uncle recently went through chemo radiation for brain cancer.  He is still smart as a whip and in remission, but has lost much of his eyesight and hearing.  He’s got a 42 and 43 Jeep, and a ‘55 CJ5 as well.  He needs to be with someone most all times, and can’t drive.  We’re going on a trail ride with the ‘55 today.  It should be a good time!

Uncle Larry is still doing well, but cannot see to ever drive again.  I ran into him at Grandma and Grandpa’s 60th anniversary dinner last Thursday and we made another date for tomorrow.  I’ll meet him at 9 am and we’ll cruise for a few hours.  Jil was my photographer and videographer last year, but she is in Germany working.  She couldn’t get the time off work to come Jeeping for some reason :confusion-confused:.

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

squonk

A little control work on a rat motor co-generation plant

IMG_20240207_143629743.jpg.7bad320f4c1f5d214c0afbc4cde8bb57.jpg

IMG_20240207_143744991.jpg.f6d922a8b0a13a25b1caaa9c35c67703.jpgIMG_20240207_143108027_HDR.jpg.e5fd94ccfe276f6773ced4712feb4169.jpg

Edited by squonk
  • Like 3
  • Excellent 1

ebinmaine
59 minutes ago, squonk said:

a rat motor co-generation plant

454 cubic inches of QUIT MESSING AROUND power!!!!

• Haha 1
  • Heart 1

PWL216

Went to the Ford and Edison Museum and Homestead in Fort Myers today. We took our time and spent about three hours there. It’s amazing how modestly they lived compared to the millionaires of today. Found this little note about a Fordson toolbox in one of the displays.

D167C0D8-616C-4126-BD2C-3D72D1327D9C.jpeg

ED24D552-E0D2-492E-8C7C-9A3DCF630509.jpeg

Edited by PWL216
  • Like 4