Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

SylvanLakeWH
18 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

a definite need to lose some weight,

5 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

I find that need nearly every move I make.  

I represent that... :hide:

• Haha 1

Achto

Waiting to see Kenny Wayne Shepherd. :sad-bored:

IMG_20230623_191001079.jpg.d06e7404980c70a8f71c153305486e65.jpg

• Like 4
  • Excellent 1

Stormin

Green, lawn, verges and bridleway mown this morning. Good timing as the rain from the Big Show has just made it over the Pond. :D

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

8ntruck

I've got a couple of projects going.  First, I have gotten the travel trailer de-winterized today.  Flushed & sanatized the plumbing system, unloaded some of the camping supplies that were being stored, washed the awning, set the tires to proper pressure, and convinced the water heater that it needed to work properly.  Still need to replace the battery, as it is not holding a charge.

Second, I'm in the demolition phase of the lake house bathroom remodel.  The shower, vanity, toilet and old vinyl floor have been removed.  I have about 30% of the vinyl floor adhesive scraped off.  Fortunately, it responds well to heat.  The ca. 1960 black mastic floor tile beneath it, not so much.

The new floor is scheduled to be ceramic set with thinset. 

Has anybody else out there set ceramic tile over old black mastic? 

I'm planning on using a primer over the mastic that is rated to encapsulate any asbestos and leave a suitable surface for thinset.

Oh, yea.  For grins and giggles, I saw the doctor today about a fluid filled 'bubble' that appeared overnight on one of my elbows.  Bursitis, she says.  What do I need to do to get rid of it, I ask.  Don't bump it, don't aggravate it and it should go away.  How long I ask.  I dunno, she says.  Maybe a couple weeks, or months, or, maybe never.  Geten' old ain't for sissies. 

Edited by 8ntruck

ohiofarmer

Update on the gas pipe replacement. Hopefully some useful information you can use. We all know that once you start the chain of order in replacing pipes, it is not easy to predict exactly where they will wind up. The installing crew for the new Fart Smeeter [Smartmeter] did me a solid by extending their one inch pipe beneath the crawl space and placing a very expensive and uSA made union in the middle of their run. They also placed a shut off valve in the run and put a one X three quarter pipe connector for me to attach my run of pipe to.Very nice of them since the owner is responsible for everything on the customer side of the meter.

The union is something entirely necessary if that pipe is gonna leak so you can loosen it up and spin the joints together , making the elbows and such come apart and go together. I simply ran the pipe and sighted back toward the joint and laid it on top of a five gallon bucket.....then mounted a pipe strap to hang it temporarily to assemble the joint . Not fun to do when crawling along consists of your forearms and pushing with your toes

The inspector from the gas company told me that i should test it at three to ten pounds and i have a Kuhlman gauge, so not a problem. Well, it was because the dial gauge on it was not acceptable and the new digital stuff they use can test higher pressure and also  find tiny leaks at the appliance at low pressure. So then I just used a mix of Dawn and water and it picked up the leaks at eleven pounds indicated pressure and passed after failing the first time. I did have to replace a half inch union in the furnace room, because unions have a copper crush in the inside that could as damaged in previous use.

Things are not good when working with pipe in a tight area. The hardware store pipe and fittings can say China and Vietnam and some are so bad they will not thread together. it pays to have a nice rigid pipe threader onsite to make things fit better. 3/4 pipe is 2.50 per foot and fittings are at least that much. I did some recutting of threads on some USA stuff, and they have the ductility correct for better quality.

It was a good thing that I did not have this house out in the county as it would have required an inspection by county inspectors and probably a repeat fee if it failed The village the house is in has no association with zoning or building inspection and people seem to still survive. Centerpoint Energy did me a solid and would come any time day or night to , and restore service.. Running a gas line past your property makes you pay about 40 dollars a month whether or not gas is used, so at least they treat you like it matters.

So , fellas, remember that a gas pipe union can save you hours of headache in case you have to take things apart.....Maybe a second union on the longer runs in tight places.

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 1

Achto

What did I do today. Not a whole flippin' lot.:D

IMG_20230630_175209450_HDR.jpg.dfb4eb23c9207203bb077df1567ac31a.jpg

• Excellent 4
  • Haha 4
  • Heart 1

WHX??
1 minute ago, Achto said:

What did I do today. Not a whole flippin' lot.:D

IMG_20230630_175209450_HDR.jpg.dfb4eb23c9207203bb077df1567ac31a.jpg

Fish cooperating? Looks like barnyard buzzard...:D

• Haha 6

Achto
14 minutes ago, WHX?? said:

Fish cooperating? Looks like barnyard buzzard...:D

Ain't even put the boat in the water yet. :D

davem1111

Power went out around 3:30 pm yesterday. Have 2 generators but one wouldn't run, even though I switched to non-alcohol gas a while back. Had to tear down and clean the carb, then it ran fine again. Power was out for about 25 hours. Branches and limbs all over the place, big pine tree took the power lines down to my neighbor's house across the road. When I couldn't get the second generator running this morning, I decided to run out to see if I could buy another one, then fix this one later.  Lowe's said they sold out by 9am, Menards was out, Rural King was out, Harbor Freight was out, and said they had a line waiting at the door before they opened this morning. Didn't think I'd want to have a "spare spare" generator, but now I do. Mainly to preserve the food in 2 fridges and one freezer, but also to retain the sanity of other family members who are not very happy when the power goes out...

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

ebinmaine
36 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

a "spare spare"

My uncle Ron would tell you... "If ya need one of something, ya need two".  

• Excellent 3
  • Haha 1

WHX??
1 hour ago, davem1111 said:

also to retain the sanity of other family members who are not very happy when the power goes out...

Remind them of how pioneers lived...:lol:

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

Two words:

:wh: generator...

:scared-shocked:

Well, one emoji and one word... :occasion-clown:

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1

davem1111
11 hours ago, SylvanLakeWH said:

Two words:

:wh: generator...

:scared-shocked:

Well, one emoji and one word... :occasion-clown:

Funny, that.  I actually told my wife at one point that I had seen pictures of a generator mounted on the front of a Wheel Horse, and wished I had one. I have 3 running tractors and one sort-of-running-and-better-after-the-new-carb-gets-installed, so the engine wouldn't be a problem.  So I'm wondering: was that an official WH attachment, or home-built?  Or both?  I already have a home-built 2" receiver that goes on the mule attachment, so it wouldn't be difficult to adapt a generator. I have several electric motors - can those be reverse-engineered to work as a generator? :eusa-think:

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

Achto
10 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

So I'm wondering: was that an official WH attachment, 

Wheel Horse generators were an official attachment. The generator was made by Generac then branded as WH.

I know that a generator will run as a motor for a short time, until the diodes on the field coil burn out.:D To make a motor into a gen would be a challenge. Would need to add a field coil to regulate output power. A regulator would be needed, then I would not be sure if the windings would hold up.

You would be better off to find a belt drive generator & adapt it to a tractor.

Edited by Achto
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

SylvanLakeWH
40 minutes ago, davem1111 said:

So I'm wondering: was that an official WH attachment, or home-built?  Or both? 

i've seen both. They pop up for sale now and then... last one i saw was NOS... can't remember where though...

Post a want ad...

Edited by SylvanLakeWH
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Tractorhead

Built today a new Barbecue and Griller Place.

The old floor was rotten, so it was urgently time to rework it.

Now i have ad a Griller‘s Chair with a small Sideboard to the Pavillion side added.

47AFF3E9-F186-490F-BA12-B859C6D9CC05.jpeg.ae1d870d7e2760ef37fd5d9ca482b515.jpeg

Kati paints the Wood to make it more Weatherproofing.

We get the Wood from a Farmer as gift for my Fawn Saving tasks from 2 Valley‘s ahead.

- a classic Win win situation for all.

• Like 3
  • Excellent 5

Tractorhead

And later the Evening, it can be also used as Fireplace....

72259E3F-4FB4-4747-9230-EC5E34C32D1A.jpeg.f12d6d3b1bf1e01162b646a9e37d3b6d.jpeg

BEA236B2-D7F4-4F7A-A762-4D47201AC4BD.jpeg.260e88946eea2a1bd9038e2120953a5c.jpeg

so have a nice Weekend lads

• Like 3
  • Excellent 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Heart 2

ebinmaine

Me n The BBT went a couple mountains over to Mt Cutler today. 

The trail starts right near the old East Hiram ME Railroad Station area. 

It hasn't been used for decades but is still in possession of the RR company. 

IMG_20230701_154310.jpg.c6e12bf733fd8510c9ac16a4cc9bf842.jpg

Many moons ago Hiram was a large enough station to warrant a track siding for switching RR cars around. 

IMG_20230701_154316.jpg.61713749932f7cec6a5d4eada6fd8f96.jpg

IMG_20230701_154321.jpg.53767bbee56bf30eabb266e948134ccd.jpg

This hole in the forest floor is one of several water cisterns used for storage for the steam trains. The station was also a stopping and refilling point. 

IMG_20230701_160353.jpg.518548aac6b7c3d24f66c30645c71e77.jpg

These water storage wells are part of a stream that runs year round. 

46756869_IMG_20230701_1603532.jpg.8bb1565450a7b6658186d705c6e43cb0.jpg

The bridge across the Saco River is visible in the distance. 

IMG_20230701_162228.jpg.7ed2900b30848e2182251663aa0317b2.jpg

A few more pics...

IMG_20230701_154305.jpg

IMG_20230701_154254.jpg

IMG_20230701_131750.jpg

IMG_20230701_140500.jpg

IMG_20230701_154238.jpg

IMG_20230701_154243.jpg

IMG_20230701_154249.jpg

IMG_20230701_154259.jpg

IMG_20230701_160404.jpg

IMG_20230701_160409.jpg

IMG_20230701_160415.jpg

IMG_20230701_160421.jpg

IMG_20230701_162217.jpg

IMG_20230701_162223.jpg

Edited by ebinmaine
  • Like 2
  • Excellent 4
  • Heart 1

ebinmaine

Trina and her mom decided to stack some firewood.  

This shed is roughly 2, 2.5 cord when stuffed.   

It's a bit over half full right now.  

IMG_20230701_181101.jpg

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1

Wheel-N-It

Thanks to all who posted todays pics :thanks:

• Like 1

WHX??
On 6/30/2023 at 7:47 PM, JCM said:

It really makes you realize that you don't need half of the gadgets that the newer model trucks have to enjoy the ride.

Amen Plunger... evertime I hop in one and that touch screen says all this bull crap about keeping eyes on the road... well then why the heck give me those distractions?!?! How about a three on the tree instead?!?!

Excuse me for showing my age...:lol:

• Excellent 2
  • Haha 2

WHX??
On 6/30/2023 at 6:15 PM, Achto said:

Ain't even put the boat in the water yet. :D

Well look where that got you now!:lol: I'll let him explain fellas!

• Like 1