Mickwhitt

What did you do today?

8ntruck
37 minutes ago, Jeff-C175 said:

In my day we called that the kitchen!  (sorry ladies!  I couldn't resist!)

I thought I was the only one who still practiced that art! Most people don't even know what a point is!

Trick is to lay a piece of thick paper on the glass, under the point to provide a bit of clearance, and the pusher knife down flat on the glass.  Wiggle the knife back and forth instead of pushing straight in.  Old dry wood is much more difficult to get the points in. You're using the ones with the 'lip' on them, yes? Not the plain diamond shaped ones? (not sure you can even still buy those...)

Yup. Using #4 points with the lip on them.  Heavy paper, like a file card?

• Like 1

Jeff-C175
19 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

Heavy paper, like a file card?

Sure, that would work fine.  Just need something to keep the metal point away from the edge of the glass.

One more tip... I'm sure you are 'bedding' the glass in some putty... but don't use too much.  Just a little dab'll do ya.  Only enough to get a seal on the inside.  Using more than you should can cause the glass to want to 'bend' when you insert the point because the putty under it wants to 'give' too much.

Call me nutz (everyone does!) but I love the smell of glaziers putty... and boiled linseed oil.

OK... one more tip on cleaning the oily residue from the windows after glazing.  Get yourself some white blackboard chalk.  Grind some up into a powder.  Sprinkle it on the glass and with a soft brush, rub it around.  Blow it off.  Glass is clean.  (or, you could buy "Whiting Powder" but good luck finding it in less than 1 lb boxes!  It's the same schtuff.)

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

8ntruck

:text-yeahthat:  I was setting the glass in a bed of putty.  My thought at the time was that there was some hard piece of crud embedded in the putty that caused the glass to bend and crack as I was pressing down while I was installing the second point on that edge of the glass. 

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
56 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

I'm setting a glazer point. 

I’ll give you a tip I learned from an old professional house painter…

Before you install the glazer points, prime the naked wood where the pane sits… naked wood soaks the oil out of the glazing compound causing the glazing to dry out a lot quicker.

He told me also to put a thin layer of glaze behind where you set the pane to help make a good seal, but I have never done that…

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
1 minute ago, Horse Newbie said:

prime the naked wood

Or brush on a light coat of boiled linseed oil.

1 minute ago, Horse Newbie said:

put a thin layer of glaze behind where you set the pane

That's what I call "bedding"

• Like 2

Horse Newbie
Just now, Jeff-C175 said:

Or brush on a light coat of boiled linseed oil.

That's what I call "bedding"

Yeah… you was calling it that while I was typing… sorry…🤣

• Like 4

Jeff-C175
12 minutes ago, 8ntruck said:

as I was pressing down

That's the problem possibly... you don't want to 'press down' on the points.  They are really only there to hold the glass still while you putty the outside.  They should go in 'neutral', and that's the reason for laying the card on the glass and the blade you're pushing with flat on the glass, never at an appreciable angle.  I use a bent putty knife for installing points, you can get that completely flat against the glass.

image.png.a34c8b5b6fc2a9579090b5bf2767ab6c.png

Edited by Jeff-C175
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Had a Ghost problem on the new back yard trail… :scared-eek: Needed some experts to take care of it now once and for all… The E-141, some calibrated light lasers, laughs and much goofing around by the nieces and nephews took care of the problem…

Denali the trail dog also assisted with final cleanup if any ghost remains if needed… 

• Like 2
  • Heart 2

8ntruck
15 hours ago, Jeff-C175 said:

That's the problem possibly... you don't want to 'press down' on the points.  They are really only there to hold the glass still while you putty the outside.  They should go in 'neutral', and that's the reason for laying the card on the glass and the blade you're pushing with flat on the glass, never at an appreciable angle.  I use a bent putty knife for installing points, you can get that completely flat against the glass.

image.png.a34c8b5b6fc2a9579090b5bf2767ab6c.png

I learned quickly.  The rest of the panels, I placed the glass in the bed of putty, gently pushed on the glass and wiggled it around a bit to set it in the putty, and set the points with the putty knife as parallel to the glass as I could get it.

• Excellent 2

Horse Newbie
7 hours ago, 8ntruck said:

learned quickly.  The rest of the panels, I placed the glass in the bed of putty, gently pushed on the glass and wiggled it around a bit to set it in the putty, and set the points with the putty knife as parallel to the glass as I could get it.

Now you’re glazing !

• Like 1

Horse Newbie

On Grady’s wife’s “she shed” we got the last 2 roof rafters up, the noggins in between the studs on part of the walls,  ceiling joists up, roof decking down on 1/2 the roof…

AD645B6E-8B9F-4D2B-B3DA-75C24438C5A1.jpeg

A0057C0B-46DB-4975-8D44-47EE10C29373.jpeg

• Like 3

Stormin

Yesterday morning went and collected the B80. Afternoon swept up leaves. AGAIN! Sat here this morning watching more leaves being blown off the trees by 40mph gusts. You'd never think I'd cleaned up yesterday. :rolleyes: 

I'm off up to the farm now. Maybe the Leaf Elves will have cleaned up when I get home. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

OutdoorEnvy

Oklahoma had it's Youth Deer Gun  Season this past weekend and my 10 year old son Jack got a mature doe for his first deer!  Super exciting hunt and my dad was there too.  So a three generation first deer experience is a great memory to have!  We are looking forward to some good eating and doing it again soon! 

6EaRWCgl.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 2

SylvanLakeWH

:clap:

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

Today I pulled off the carb on my 2002 Yamaha 350 wolverine by myself and when my dad gets back we’ll clean it and hopefully it doesn’t conk out anymore.

Kollin :D

• Excellent 1

OldWorkHorse

So over the past last year my mother has been going in and out of the hospital for cancer treatments and since her diagnosis has been spending more time at her house, she has been in a band for over 40 years and with a band that has been around for well over 40 years it acquires alot of sheet music. Well my mother never wasting a moment to rest has volunteered to sort and organize and scan and file and Efile the 1000s and 1000s of sheets of music. So needless to say her small computer desk wasn't holding up to the job and was just a little bit to small for everything to fit comfortably. So she had asked me to make her a new one, and shortly after she asked me I ended up acquiring a work related injury that limited my movement ability and made my little bit of free time even less so I had not got around to it. A few days ago she got admitted back into the hospital for a short stay so I decided to try and get the desk all cut out and put together. Now I'm far from a great wood worker especially compared to some of the post I see on this site BUT what I make will be alot stronger and more solid then 95% of the stuff you find at box stores these days and it's nice to build what you want and not have to make something work for what you need. Desk isn't done but should be soon!

20221016_120810.jpg

20221016_141010.jpg

20221019_134307.jpg

• Heart 4

Handy Don

Nice to see the cut sheet taped right there so it can't get lost.

• Thanks 1

OldWorkHorse
14 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Nice to see the cut sheet taped right there so it can't get lost.

I'm a measure 7x cut and mess up once type of guy 🤣 there also all labeled on the back. I get lost easy!

• Like 2

Handy Don
34 minutes ago, OldWorkHorse said:

I'm a measure 7x cut and mess up once type of guy 🤣 there also all labeled on the back. I get lost easy!

Like Obie's 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows? ;)

• Haha 2

SylvanLakeWH
23 minutes ago, Handy Don said:

Like Obie's 8x10 color glossy pictures with circles and arrows? ;)

I've been on the Group W bench for a long time... :hide:

• Haha 1

ebinmaine

Took a near 2 mile walk up/down the hill this evening.  

Elevation gain is about 330, 340 feet so it's a pretty good climb.  

IMG_20221019_185737.jpg

IMG_20221019_185743.jpg

• Like 1

The Freightliner Guy

I fired up bumblebee the tri zinger and I’m going for a ride 

• Like 1

formariz

Just trying to relax from all the doctors appointments and tests.

05C9CD72-145D-4AD7-9921-43601B5E286A.jpeg.ee9b192f2627bbdeec05ab29d05b815f.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Excellent 2

Pullstart

Found some free wood on Craigslist.  Couple hours work for a couple week’s heat!

6665BE1A-C5A3-4AA1-8E93-6D409DC48007.jpeg

• Like 4

Pullstart

Maybe this evening, I’ll teach Jada how to drive a stick shift.  :auto-layrubber:

30EF83EE-7300-4C68-BAEA-13FA590099FF.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Haha 1